ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Kosei K1-ts wheels have seen alot. I got them for free with my car from the previous owner, who himself bought them off an autcrosser. they're mostly perfect but the brake dust has eaten through the original paint in places.

AND they are a [email protected]#ch and a half to CLEAN! so i have since stopped trying mostly due to the permenent brake dust marks that i can't get off without a chisel.

maybe silver isn't the best color for them? maybe black or brake dust colored? i heard you can't powder coat these becaus of all of the "nooks" do i just sand and automotive spray away :)

for a picture of the wheels just look in my gallery.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will metallic brake dust just burn straight through regular automotive paint or should i use engine paint? anyone had this work for a long time?

·
Esteemed Member
3,776 Posts
the thing is. if you go with regular paint its not that great, but since your doing black you dont even have to tape it off when your respraying it. Main thing is just do good sanding and several coats. My opinion sanding is more important than paint types. You can try engine paint tho, they also have wheel paint as well.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Brake dust varies in color from dark copper brown to carbon black. Most often it's a dark gray anthracite. Graphite or flat black color wheels hide brake dust well. The sole reason I had black wheels on my car is because I was sick and tired of the Axis Ultimates leaving a pile of brake dust every time I drove it. It had nothing to do with the latest fad or fashion trends. It was a choice of 100% function over form.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
I would paint them Gunmetal Silver or Tornado Silver (a color used on some first generation RX-7's). That should hide the brake dust pretty well. Pretty much any dark silver would work fine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brake dust varies in color from dark copper brown to carbon black. Most often it's a dark gray anthracite. Graphite or flat black color wheels hide brake dust well. The sole reason I had black wheels on my car is because I was sick and tired of the Axis Ultimates leaving a pile of brake dust every time I drove it. It had nothing to do with the latest fad or fashion trends. It was a choice of 100% function over form.
yes it was my axxis ultimates that ultimately killed my wheels :) I think i will probably end up with flat black simply for maintenance reasons.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I had the daisies on the old miata painted a gunmetal grey. Looked great and never chipped, I didn't even really sand the wheels before hand. Used regular spray paint...duplicolor I think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts