1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
clutch slipping in 4th...

excuse to throw an aluminum flywheel :D

im pairing an exedy clutch and pressure plate with the racing beat flywheel

PLEASE TELL Me about how you feel about driving with a lightened flywheel :D !!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Daily, the first time you hit stop and go traffic your going to kill someone. At least I did when I had one in my corolla. It was one of the chromemoly lightest ones avalable ones though.

If you get a light one and daily drive it, make sure to have a clutch thats sprung. Fethering will be your friend.

·
Kicked off the island..
3,062 Posts
Rev happy! Free feeling fun. I've had one in my past 3 cars. I've had one with an unsprung 6 puck clutch, and yes, it sucked. Rev to 4 grand and ride it all the way through first to make a smooth launch. NOT FUN. Definitely use a sprung clutch.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
When I pick up a spare tranny shortly I'll be getting all new seals, an Exedy 3-puck sprung racing clutch, and either an aluminum flywheel or shaving the existing one down.
Daily driver. Oh ya.
-Ryan

·
Banned
1,330 Posts
Man... are miatas that much different than other cars? I've had 8lbs flywheels... and loved them. No issues ever... I've been driving manual for over 12yrs though... maybe thats a difference?

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
A sprung hub has springs in it that soften the engagement. A non-sprung hub just has a female spline linked directly to the transmission input shaft. GRM had an excellent article a year or two ago on how to choose the right clutch. It covered all the compromises and tradeoffs.

·
4,296 Posts
lightweight flywheels add noise also.
when i first installed one years ago, i thought my tranny ,or diff was going out, it was the noise from the flywheel, less dampning.

definately worth it to install though. i was looking at the Act flywheels. they are cheaper,and cromoly,which supposedly is better to resist warping.
i use a Racing Beat/Act hd , i love it.
everyones miata should have one.

·
Banned
1,330 Posts
I 2nd the ACT Cromoly. Loved the 8.8 on my honda.

Does anyone know if Action clutch makes a Miata clutch? Favorite clutch of all time.
edit: called alex at Action... $270 for a clutch/plate/throwout etc that will support 300trq. Hurm...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Some of my friends with turbocharged cars prefer the stock flywheel as revs don't drop so quickly between shifts.
I believe the point would be to keep the boost up. Your right though, if you want to keep the revs up, a heavier flywheel will do that. It will also take more to get those RPMs up in the first place though. I know some drag racer install heavier than stock flywheels. But for an NA setup I think you'd be better off with a lighter one.

Personally I was amazed the first time I reved my miata to redline, it seemed to take a lifetime to come back down. This is compared to my daily driver, an Integra GSR sedan. When I replace my clutch, I'm definitely getting a lighter one.
________
oxygen vaporizer

·
Registered
16 Posts
Definitely get a light weight flywheel if you change the clutch. I have the SPEC stage2 clutch and light weight flywheel. Love it, but don't drive the car daily. I agree it is noisy, compared to stock, but not really that intrusive.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So, how would the 7 pound Fidanza flywheel work with a stock replacment Exedy clutch? I ask because I have the setup waiting to go on my new motor.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts