ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the Exedy 10805 clutch installed in my NA and I need some input if its a bad install or just the way the clutch feels. I only have about 75 miles on it and 50 of those were interstate cruising.

The car now fells 100% different than my worn out stock clutch (to be expected) BUT not in a good way. When trying to de a lower rpm slower take off the car shakes, sputters and feels like the clutch is slipping. However for a higher revving launch the clutch grabs and the car goes fine. In 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears the car now sounds like it has an electric motor whine to it when on the gas only (not coasting). In 4th and 5th it disappears. Are these things to be expected because it is a "racing" clutch? Or do I need to go back to the shop because something was done wrong?

Would appreciate any input! Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
You said you have a Racing Clutch? Stage 1,2 or 3? is the disc a puck type? Solid hub or sprung marcel? Racing clutches come in a variety of configurations. If it's a puck type without a sprung marcel, then it's going to be grabby at the launch and you'll have to "slip" it more for smooth take offs. If it has a sprung marcel, then you should not have a problem.

Now assuming you did not do the install yourself, do you know if the person that did it resurfaced the flywheel? This is an important and cheap step when changing a clutch. Also, when I change my clutch, I usually also change the slave cylinder, and check the master cylinder as well (cheap insurance). Make sure the clutch line is bled properly. Any air in the line can cause some symtamatic problems as you've experienced....That's all I can think of right now...Good Luck finding the cause..

tach9

·
Registered
228 Posts
that is stage 1 organic clutch it shouldn't make much difference in feel
did you resurface your flywheel or install lighten flywheel?
did you install new bearing when clutch was clutch in?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Bad install.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took it back to the garage to tell em it drives like crap. They claim it is a bad pressure plate on the clutch. Now they are installing a clutch from NAPA in it and I get to buy the clutch AND pay them to install it (they claim I will get a hefty discount on the install we will see.)

I have no recourse on the Exedy clutch at the moment. The clutch came with the car so I don't have any receipts or information where it was purchased from so Exedy says they can't help me. Trying to get ahold of the person who I purchased the car from to see if they have receipts the or any of this info. Looks like a $350 clutch job just turned into a $700 clutch job... FML.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ugh, I can't catch a friggen catch a break with this thing. They installed the new clutch but did the bare minimum on the work. My clutch now has a whine that sounds like an electric motor. Also, I'm going to have to bleed and pressurized my hydraulics because they didn't touch those. And to top it off while at their lot, someone slashed my top and stole my stereo. So friggen pissed right now.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ugh, I can't catch a friggen catch a break with this thing. They installed the new clutch but did the bare minimum on the work. My clutch now has a whine that sounds like an electric motor. Also, I'm going to have to bleed and pressurized my hydraulics because they didn't touch those. And to top it off while at their lot, someone slashed my top and stole my stereo. So friggen pissed right now.
sounds like someone's got a case of the mondays

seriously though, that's horrible man.. i'd never visit that garage again - i think i saw this thread on miata forums too, i'd say 90% of responses on these sites would point towards the flywheel not being resurfaced..

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Weeee, going back to the garage for the 3rd time in 3 weeks... lets see if they fix it this time...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts