ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
My exhaust keeps blowing and I’m just chasing it up and down the pipes.
It went at the join between the downpipe and the cat, then when I sorted it it went between the header and the downpipe, and back and forth several times. Im just chasing the leak.
Any ideas?
Any heavy duty gaskets about?
What can help?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
15,188 Posts
What do you mean what exhaust? What make it is?

Sure, that would help. Might help us determine what sort of gaskets you should be using. Or even better, pictures of the flanges would help.

Without info, you're essentially asking us "i have a leaky pipe what do i do?"

Well... make it not do that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sure, that would help. Might help us determine what sort of gaskets you should be using. Or even better, pictures of the flanges would help.

Without info, you're essentially asking us "i have a leaky pipe what do i do?"

Well... make it not do that.

Never mind then lol. Like I said I’ve no idea what make it is other than the manifold and downpipe is standard. I described the joins at where the blows are. I just posted on here in case anyone else had this same issue and used better gaskets etc

·
Administrator
15,188 Posts
Ok well now we at least know that the exhaust manifold is oem. If oem gaskets are not sealing, then your flanges are not flat.

·
Murse Magnet
7,218 Posts
OP, on the assumption that you are using a stock exhaust. you could buy a new gasket and smear some permatex ultra copper gasket maker on both sides to try to help it seal.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OP, on the assumption that you are using a stock exhaust. you could buy a new gasket and smear some permatex ultra copper gasket maker on both sides to try to help it seal.

Thank you for your helpful answer. I’ll probably try this first but wandered if there were any ‘heavy duty’ gaskets etc.

·
Murse Magnet
7,218 Posts
Thank you for your helpful answer. I’ll probably try this first but wandered if there were any ‘heavy duty’ gaskets etc.

I don't know if there are any heavy duty gaskets for your application. All we have so far is that you might have the original OEM header. You might have a cat, you might not, you might have a non oem muffler. you might not. I can't help you find a heavy duty gasket without knowing what it is you have.

Pics would be helpful.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know if there are any heavy duty gaskets for your application. All we have so far is that you might have the original OEM header. You might have a cat, you might not, you might have a non oem muffler. you might not. I can't help you find a heavy duty gasket without knowing what it is you have.

Pics would be helpful.

Standard manifold and downpipe.
Don’t know what is past that as I said but I don’t really think it matters coz it’s not blowing down that end.
Like I already said. It’s blowing between the manifold and downpipe then when I fix it blows between the downpipe and the rest of the exhaust. All holes line up so I don’t see knowing what make or whatever the rest of it matters coz it’s fine (doesn’t blow that end)
I don’t know what else to say.
Wish I could be more helpful but knowing everything about everything doesn’t help it just adds useless info.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Super Moderator
2,466 Posts
Don't use a gasket. Just keep taking off .001 at a time until you have no flange left. Keep track of how many thousandths you take off so when you buy a new exhaust system you can use the correct gaskets instead of homemade ones.

·
Murse Magnet
7,218 Posts
Hmm, most people don't disconnect header there and treat it as a single piece. I have never personally dealt with that gasket myself. I do know that you can get an inexpensive aftermarket header that would alleviate having a gasket there all together.

https://raceland.com/mazda-miata-mx-5-na-1-6-exhaust-header.html

1 - 20 of 47 Posts