ClubRoadster.net banner
4K views 46 replies 9 participants last post by  Danny_Grist 
#1 ·
Hi guys
My exhaust keeps blowing and I’m just chasing it up and down the pipes.
It went at the join between the downpipe and the cat, then when I sorted it it went between the header and the downpipe, and back and forth several times. Im just chasing the leak.
Any ideas?
Any heavy duty gaskets about?
What can help?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
OP, on the assumption that you are using a stock exhaust. you could buy a new gasket and smear some permatex ultra copper gasket maker on both sides to try to help it seal.

#20 ·
Hmm, most people don't disconnect header there and treat it as a single piece. I have never personally dealt with that gasket myself. I do know that you can get an inexpensive aftermarket header that would alleviate having a gasket there all together.

https://raceland.com/mazda-miata-mx-5-na-1-6-exhaust-header.html

#24 ·
Perhaps a dead cat?

Excessive back pressure caused by a collapsed cat core blowing the preceeding gaskets?

It'd run like **** and be bloody obvious if so.

Any symptoms other than dead passengers due to carbon monoxide poisoning?

No other symptoms thanks and only lost 2 passengers so far but that was due to bump steer [emoji23]

#25 ·
Make sure you remove ALL the gaskets you have in that location prior to installing the new one.

And put a straight edge over your flanges before installing new one as well. I'm pretty sure i see it warped just from pictures.

#28 ·
Not sure how helpful this is but after my NA6s exhaust rusted to pieces and leaked everywhere I just dropped $150 on a test pipe and cheap """stainless""" header. Had to do some adjustments with an angle grinder but it more-or-less fit and didn't leak anymore and got me like +15 swag points.

#29 ·
Are you sure it blows out between the flanges? NA6 stock headers tend to leak right in the middle where the four pipes join. Honestly, I wouldn't bother trying to fix the leak and just replace the whole stock unit with a cheap header. Especially after reading your head shave thread and assuming you want to extract a bit of power out of the B6 anyway.

#33 ·
Oh FFS.

In the amount of time you've spent trying to do this as many wrong ways as possible looking for a magic bullet on the internet, you could have had the damn thing off the car and flattened by now, and it would be working perfectly with an oem gasket.

****, i could have done it myself in the amount of time i've spent trying to guide you in these threads.

It's a track car. Do it right, or don't do it at all.

#36 ·
If you have flat flanges, then don't use that stuff. It's not going to help or do anything productive in the context of flat flanges and the gasket that's meant to be used there. It can only cause problems.

#46 ·
Ah ok.
I read the rules about posting 30. I thought that meant actually posting 30 times rather than having a post that’s above 30 replies long.
I didn’t join the group to sell.
Just to pick some brains and source some info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.