ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a company other than Metro that makes or offers an exhaust bumper shield? According to Metro, they're not going to be offering them until they find a decent manufacturer that's able to consistently produce a quality product. And if my conversation with Metro was any indication, it didn't sound like they'd be finding another source anytime soon, if at all.

For those of you that run some serious high-HP engine and exhaust mods, have any of you melted a bumper? And if you have, would a shield really have prevented any damage? Personally, I run a pretty mild setup and would most likely never be in danger of meltng my bumper, but I think they look pretty damn cool... Is this something that could be fabricated relatively easily?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm looking for one of these too. I saw the one that I think Tim got from Japan, it's carbon fiber. I wish Metro still carried the one they show.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For as long as the Miata's been around, and for as many engine mods and high performance exhausts there are now, I'm really surprised that we haven't seen any offered here. As far as I know, Metro was the only one in the states that even carried something like that.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I think Dave Coleman at SCC put it best.

Running a bumper shield to keep your bumper from catching on fire: Rice.

Running a bumpershielf to keep it from catching on fire again: Wholly acceptable.

Not saying that because i disaprove, but because it's a funny statement. :) COuldn't you just bend your own up and rivet it to the bumper? Doesnt seem too hard if you had a cutoff wheel, and a rivet gun...

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Oh, and yes. I melted mine with only an intake on an NA motor ~5 years ago.

Of course i melted out the SIDE, so a shield wouldn't have done squat fro me.

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
The Dave Coleman quote cracks me up :D:D

Anyways S2 makes one:

Nielex used to make one. It looks exactly like the Metro one (maybe it's the same thing???) ... but I can't find it in their website anymore.

·
CR.net Supporter
228 Posts
To add more to the fire I need 2 of them as I run dual exhaust.

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
The Dave Coleman quote cracks me up :D:D

Anyways S2 makes one:

Nielex used to make one. It looks exactly like the Metro one (maybe it's the same thing???) ... but I can't find it in their website anymore.
That's the one someone brought back from Japan. I think it's around $100 bucks or so.
That was me. It's an S2 Racing piece. It was 9800 yen, is carbon fiber, and it looks just a tad different than the pic above. The right side comes down a little farther along the contour of the bumper - or perhaps it's the angle of the picture that make it look different.

I'm probably going to install it this weekend.

The previous exhaust I had (JR) caused the paint to bubble up a bit, so when I saw the S2 piece, I figured I would see how it would look while at the same time, offering further protection.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tim, was that something that you brought back with you from Japan? I tried to order that part from S2's site (the translated version), but it never gave me an option to enter my billing info, so I don't know if it went through.

With a lot of these companies, such as S2 and Zoom - is it possible to place an individual overseas order?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, it's been about 10 minutes since placing my "order" with S2 for a heat shield, and I've already gotten an email from them. presumably thanking me for my business or asking me for more info. Of coruse (as if I expected it to be any different), it was entirely in Japanese....

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
Yes, I bought the piece from their booth while at the Karuizawa event.

+1 for Rod though. He'll help you out.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, post pics please - I'm interested to see how it looks on the car!

Plus, as an update, I just got a message from Rod, who said that he'd be able to pick one up and send it to Chicago - $130 shipped. Given that I've seen some similar CF exhaust shields for Evos going on Ebay for $140-160 (presumably USDM and NOT including shipping), this seems like a great deal, especially for a true JDM piece...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts