ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Supporting Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when I thought I took care of all of the exhaust leaks from my old Maxim Works header, we find another one between the header and the engine.

I used a new OEM Mazda exhaust manifold gasket when reinstalling the header and it seems that there is exhaust coming from the 3rd and 4th pipes on the header.

My friend suggests buying a aftermarket gasket, getting a thicker gasket, or even buying a gasket sheet and cutting it from the shape of the OEM gasket and using that. Has anyone else experienced something like this before? Any tips? Thanks!

-Will

·
Supporting Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There is a possibility that me and my friend did not torque down all the bolts enough. There are some that are in some pretty cramped areas. =/

·
d[-_-]b 56-783
1,448 Posts
i know this might be really stupid, but it happened to me once, so here it goes... lol
in between the 3rd and 4th pipe, on the bottom stud, there should be the small pipe bracket that goes on the outside of the exhaust manifold... i kinda left it inside and had a leak once.
so it should be, engine, gasket, exhaust mani, pipe bracket, nut.
like i said, it might be dumb, but hell, it happened to me.

Attachments

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
i know this might be really stupid, but it happened to me once, so here it goes... lol
in between the 3rd and 4th pipe, on the bottom stud, there should be the small pipe bracket that goes on the outside of the exhaust manifold... i kinda left it inside and had a leak once.
Not so dumb...it happened to my son also...made a nice little racket..:woolery:

·
d[-_-]b 56-783
1,448 Posts
Not so dumb...it happened to my son also...made a nice little racket..:woolery:
very annoying... lol. i had just finished dropping my engine back in and couldn't figure out what the hell was going on... :fp:

·
Supporting Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm! I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow. Did it cause your car to sound like a old VW bug when accelerating?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Like a light ticking tapping sound only under acceleration? If so then I might have the same problem lol, been trying to tack that sucker down.

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
Happened to me once too.

·
Supporting Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the bolts may have just loosened up since you've been running the car and need a re-torque?
It actually had the problem from the start. Its really tough to use the torquing wrench on some of these bolts =/. What tools are you guys using to reach/torque everything down properly?

·
d[-_-]b 56-783
1,448 Posts
Hmmm! I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow. Did it cause your car to sound like a old VW bug when accelerating?
Yes. I had a video, buuutt cant find it, sorry. its just a REALLY loud, kinda flappy, exhaust leak. very noticeable when accelerating, slightly when deccelerating.

Like a light ticking tapping sound only under acceleration? If so then I might have the same problem lol, been trying to tack that sucker down.
took me a couple days, lol. even went out to by another gasket, and when replacing it thats when I noticed it.
good luck guys

·
Registered
252 Posts
I somehow bent my hand into the needed shape for the bolts that are hidden. I used a regular wrench, no ratchet, no socket stuff. The smaller the tool the better....expect to wrench for a while though lol You may also experience bleeding, soreness, twisted wrist, arthritis, and maybe even carpel tunnel. But srsly thats how i did it and ive had no problems with too little or too much torque. No leaks.

·
Supporting Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JO! Thank you VERY much! That was exactly what was causing the terrible exhaust leak sound! I took the header off and put the bracket on the header and torqued all the bolts down and everything sounds and feels great! Thank you again!

-Will

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thats sort of the sound I have going on under the hood. I thought it might just be a heatshield bolt loose. Now I need to check the actual manifold bolts

1 - 17 of 17 Posts