ClubRoadster.net banner

421 - 440 of 461 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
For those that have the Yonaka cat back system, how have they held up sound wise? Just wondering if they blow out their packing and get louder. Please report back. TIA

·
Big Pimpin'
8,505 Posts
I've been kicking around the idea of getting an enthuza test pipe. Did you notice any difference in exhaust tone/pitch after you installed it? I know some people do, but that doesn't hold true for everyone.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I've been kicking around the idea of getting an enthuza test pipe. Did you notice any difference in exhaust tone/pitch after you installed it? I know some people do, but that doesn't hold true for everyone.
Test pipe definitely increases volume, but not very much. I also don't notice any rasp over the Enthuza ceramic core cat that others mention.
It's pretty subtle difference in my experience.
Side note, when using launch control it will pop and back fire with test pipe but not cat.

·
Big Pimpin'
8,505 Posts
Test pipe definitely increases volume, but not very much. I also don't notice any rasp over the Enthuza ceramic core cat that others mention.
It's pretty subtle difference in my experience.
Side note, when using launch control it will pop and back fire with test pipe but not cat.
Good to know. My exhaust pops on upshifts and downshifts on occasion with a high flow cat. I'm sure it'll be more prevalent once I install my header and test pipe. I'm really hoping for a brighter sound without creating too much rasp.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
The RB Powerpulse backbox muffles a massive amount of noise. Your experience is going to vary completely on what you're running behind the test pipe.

hth!

·
Big Pimpin'
8,505 Posts
The RB Powerpulse backbox muffles a massive amount of noise. Your experience is going to vary completely on what you're running behind the test pipe.

hth!
I'm sure it'll be a tad different. Just trying to get a general idea of what to expect. My exhaust is similar in diameter to the RB with a slightly louder tone. More along the lines of the RB with straight mid-pipe.

·
Registered
60 Posts
For those that have the Yonaka cat back system, how have they held up sound wise? Just wondering if they blow out their packing and get louder. Please report back. TIA
Just seeing this now, I have a Yonaka and I actually think that as it broke in it got a little quieter, still minimal to no drone and i still love the sound! Took about 2000km's to stop shooting fibreglass out the tail, and dusting the rear bumper, but it finally stopped! Would highly recommend filming your first time down the road, its like a snow storm of the stuff for a few minutes.

Here is a new clip of it I got the other day, exaggerates the sound a bit but shows all the great character this exhaust has!

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Sounds pretty good, Harrison. :icon_cheers: Hard to argue with the price... :dunno:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just seeing this now, I have a Yonaka and I actually think that as it broke in it got a little quieter, still minimal to no drone and i still love the sound! Took about 2000km's to stop shooting fibreglass out the tail, and dusting the rear bumper, but it finally stopped! Would highly recommend filming your first time down the road, its like a snow storm of the stuff for a few minutes.

Here is a new clip of it I got the other day, exaggerates the sound a bit but shows all the great character this exhaust has! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7W7UalJveU
Thanks for the updated video. Sounds good to me. Mine has a muffler shop special cat back with a Magnaflow muffler and it is LOUD, it just sounds like crap.

I'm buying a Yonaka!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fujitsubo RM01A v. Racing Beat Catback

I recently acquired a Fujitsubo RM10A Catback for my 1996 1.8 Miata to replace my Racing Beat Catback exhaust system.

Off the bat is the weight difference between the two. The Fujitsubo weighs in at about 17lbs for the entire system.

My Miata has the following engine mods:

1996 1.8 Mazda Miata base
Jackson Racing CARB approved header
Racing Beat CARB approved intake

Several things to note on the Fujitsubo exhaust.
- There is an extra exhaust hanger on the passenger side midpipe after the cat. You'll likely need to cut it off otherwise it won't fit because of the frame rail.

- There is no O2 sensor bung on the mid pipe on the Fujitsubo. My 1996 1.8 has an O2 sensor after the cat so I had to drill and add a new O2 bung before installing.

Here is a sound comparison between the Racing Beat and the Fujitsubo.

Racing Beat Catback
https://youtu.be/RaS110TCBvM

Fujitsubo RM01A Catback
https://youtu.be/EUNlXvK-owM

The Fujitsubo is a lot louder with a deeper tone over the Racing Beat. The Racing Beat felt like it had more torque at lower RPM.
The Fujitsubo lacks at low end but the mid-range feels like it improved.
Of course this is just based on my butt Dyno, so take it with a grain of salt.

I've attached photos of both exhausts for comparison.

Attachments

·
Google me.
164 Posts
Fujitsubo RM01A v. Racing Beat Catback

I recently acquired a Fujitsubo RM10A Catback for my 1996 1.8 Miata to replace my Racing Beat Catback exhaust system.

Off the bat is the weight difference between the two. The Fujitsubo weighs in at about 17lbs for the entire system.

My Miata has the following engine mods:

1996 1.8 Mazda Miata base
Jackson Racing CARB approved header
Racing Beat CARB approved intake

Several things to note on the Fujitsubo exhaust.
- There is an extra exhaust hanger on the passenger side midpipe after the cat. You'll likely need to cut it off otherwise it won't fit because of the frame rail.

- There is no O2 sensor bung on the mid pipe on the Fujitsubo. My 1996 1.8 has an O2 sensor after the cat so I had to drill and add a new O2 bung before installing.

Here is a sound comparison between the Racing Beat and the Fujitsubo.

Racing Beat Catback
https://youtu.be/RaS110TCBvM

Fujitsubo RM01A Catback
https://youtu.be/EUNlXvK-owM

The Fujitsubo is a lot louder with a deeper tone over the Racing Beat. The Racing Beat felt like it had more torque at lower RPM.
The Fujitsubo lacks at low end but the mid-range feels like it improved.
Of course this is just based on my butt Dyno, so take it with a grain of salt.

I've attached photos of both exhausts for comparison.
Just from the clips (idle and free-rev, no load or high revs), casual plot. Traces are a bit hard to see, sorry:

·
Google me.
164 Posts
Here's my home made exhaust. 99' with 01'+ exhaust, 2.25" exhaust, no cat and into SS Magnaflow turbo muffler.
Here is Chiprez's Magnaflow solo custom setup compared to the Racing Beat and Fujitsubu systems. The latter are more closely matched to each in overall level since Mazda MPV recorded them similarly. But you can see the very different tones amongst those two versus the Magnaflow-alone based option. Again sorry the traces are faded looking. It's a screen grab from a Windows program on my Mac. Color space differences. I should sort that...

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Idk what I'm looking at in that graph but I like that my exhaust came out sounding daily deep and not ricey. Should have recorded the exhaust after I welded on the hangers since it didn't have that rattle from sitting on the jack.

·
Google me.
164 Posts
Idk what I'm looking at in that graph but I like that my exhaust came out sounding daily deep and not ricey. Should have recorded the exhaust after I welded on the hangers since it didn't have that rattle from sitting on the jack.
The graph shows how loud each exhaust was, at different frequencies from low on the left to high on the right.

So looking at your trace (white) it is louder in the deeper frequencies, for sure, compared to the other two systems. I'd confirm you don't have drone at cruise loads and rpms if you daily the car much. Drone is mostly in the 100-200 hz ranges. If you do have drone and want to eliminate it...a side branch resonator would solve that.

At the right side of the graph note that it is way louder than the other exhausts above around 1000 Hz or so. Those are the frequencies that matter the most if you run at an event where they use SPL meters to check compliance to a sound level everyone must meet. I'd watch out for raspiness and popping excesses which show up in these frequency ranges. If that bugs you, an inline resonator maybe 12 -14 inches long and about 4 inches in diameter will cut it down without hurting the good sounds or HP output too much.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Cross posting this since I just found this thread. I'm running Rotrex powered BP4W and had a few exhaust combinations over the years.

First video below features a Racing Beat Exhaust (header, resonated mid pipe, muffler) with high flow cat. This combo was too quiet, couldn't hear the car very well on track with a helmet. Super civilized for a street car or those who want to remain under the radar!

Shot of the car on the dyno with the above exhaust:

The next two videos are of the RoadsterSport 3 exhaust with high flow cat and Racing Beat Header. Much more aggressive with a lot of character and super fun. I'm making 240WHP so the piping size is a tad too small. This combo did not pass the 93dB test at our local SCCA Autocross. Packed baffle would help take the edge off but it will not dramatically drop the dB.

Shot of the car from the outside with the RoadsterSport 3:

The most recent exhaust configuration I have been testing with is the Racing Beat resonated mid pipe, Racing Beat muffler, RB Header and a test pipe. This has been the best combo for me and lets me pass sound at SCCA. The note is a slightly higher pitch with the test pipe but still civil with the resonated mid pipe.

421 - 440 of 461 Posts