ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE READ THROUGH THE ENTIRE POST, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR MISTAKES. Enjoy!

Tools required:

2000-2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse Air Vents (4)
Wire Cutters
Hack Saw or Dremel /w Cutoff Wheel Attachment
Sand Paper
Patience and Common Sense

I did this on a 2001 NB, I am not sure if it will work for NA's since the tombstone is made of plastic and will cause a problem when mounting the Eclipse air vents. These vents are held in by the tight clearance of the dash and air vent, producing a very snug fit.

There is one con to this entire mod and that is these vents will not turn in rotation. The vents that I used to mock up and compare from my friends car were rotational to my knowledge and the vents I used were not. I will check the next time I see her. I am unsure of the year Eclipse these vents are from other than they are from a third generation Eclipse that was the same body style from 2000 to 2006.

PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH AND NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID

2000-2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse Air Vents

Notable length difference. You will need to mark and cut a portion of the Eclipse vents to match ones from the NB. I have found that just above the hole in which there is a secondary vent is is attached behind the main vents are the perfect mark in which to make the cut for a ideal fit within the NB dash/air condition duct. (Refer to the pictures below)

The one on the left is the Eclipse vent, the middle is the stock NB Eyeball vent, and the one on the right is the modified Eclipse vent cut to fit. The mark in Red on the left vent is the ideal location to make the cut.

Use a Hack Saw or Dremel with the cut off wheel attachment to make the cut. I used a hack saw while holding the vent on rag atop my work bench. A vise is probably not a good idea since it may mar or damage the actual vent. It is very easy to cut through, so you shouldn't have a problem holding it. After doing so, go ahead and clean up the cut by using sand paper. I used 100 grit.

After cutting and sanding, you can cut a portion of the arm that actuates the secondary vent within the vent (shown in Red). I used wire cutter for this portion.

BE CAREFUL TO ONLY CUT THE PORTION OF THE ARM THAT WONT EFFECT THE OPENING AND CLOSING OF THE MAIN VENTS

Now repeat this for the remaining three vents. After doing so, give them a good cleaning with a tooth brush to get into those tiny nooks and crannys. Mine were from a junk yard, I had some sand throughout mine.

Remove the Eyeball vents and replace them with the Eclipse ones. They are a tiny bit larger in diameter compared to the Eyeball vents, which allows for a very snug/friction fit that will keep them in place when pushed into the openings.

You should end up with this!

Closed

Open

Close up

There is definitely a noticeable increase in air flow out of these vents compared to the Eyeball vents. They also look 1000x better than the Eyeball vents and won't droop!

If the vents being non-rotational is an issue, you can position the vents in which they are aimed in your desired location and just push them in to fit. You may also find that there is a possibility a specific year range of Eclipse vents that are rotational.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns. :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will note that these could be made into rotational vents if one were to slightly reduce the outer diameter with a lathe or drill press with some kind of holder. You could probably even do it by hand, but that would be so labor intensive in getting them perfect. You would then have to wrap tape around the vent on the inside so it can sit snug with the Eyeball vent tabs inside the dash. That's how I had to hold in one of my Eyeball vents because I broke on tabs when I removed it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice work! Look really clean compared to the eyeball vents.

Sorry for the OT - What brand/model head-unit is that?
JVC KW-AVX710, its about two years old now, but I bought it for a steal back then, $300 with the iPod interface. It didn't even require a mounting kit, I just used the supplied sleeve

·
Registered
323 Posts
sweet.. i just put double sided tape on mine, kinda kills the adjustability but it looks better, as soon as i find one of these cars in a junkyard ill give it a go

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
ive fixed and re-fixed my eyeballs by counter weighting them and taping them... but I hate the airflow direction AND restriction. Living in AZ, my hvac airflow is very important when its 115F outside with a UV index of over 10. I think I may have to do this as well~

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ive fixed and re-fixed my eyeballs by counter weighting them and taping them... but I hate the airflow direction AND restriction. Living in AZ, my hvac airflow is very important when its 115F outside with a UV index of over 10. I think I may have to do this as well~
As of right now, I just pull them out and rotate them where I want them to aim and push them back in. I can still open and close them, they are just stationary. Works great for me!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Nice job! That looks great!

If I recall correctly, in that model Eclipse the vent is installed in a sleeve that has "nubs" that hold the vent in place and allow it to rotate, the nubs fit into the ring marked below:

So you'd need to have the retaining piece or something like it in order for them to rotate like they would in the Eclipse, but that would most likely add to the diameter of the replacement. Regardless, setting it to where you want it and leaving it isn't that big of a deal and is much better than dealing with drooping eyeball vents. Not to mention having more airflow by closing the passenger vents.

*edit* I'm sold on this project, I just bought a set of 4 on eBay for my NB. lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Also just finished mine and posted some supplemental information in the other thread, awesome improvement! Thanks for the information and for paving the way!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts