ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this post might be snubbed at but I'm genuinely interested in an IRTB set up with added forced induction. I've seen this applicated in a few examples, Honda, BMW and obviously the OEM example of the RB26.

Are there any substantial benifit of power to justify spending out on both setups?

I'm assuming that the throttle response would seem to decrease lag if there where any?

Anyway, I would be grateful for any help...

Cheers fellas!

·
Registered
716 Posts
It has benefits, and makes more power. It will improve spool as well. But, it'll be a pain to tune and you'll need some fabrications skills to make it work.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
It has benefits, and makes more power. It will improve spool as well. But, it'll be a pain to tune and you'll need some fabrications skills to make it work.
+1

google it if your serious, youll find something. but ITB's add another headache on top of already having a blower on the other side... IIRC the main benefit is throttle response.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I've seen it once, search "itb turbo". I'll be doing it myself once I get better with the AEM ems stuff. Right now I can barely keep the car running haha. Wish I went megasquirt, much more community support. I already have all the parts required.

That said, IMO there is little to no benefit. A proper IM should yield the same power much easier. Lighten your rotating assembly and flywheel if you want better engine response. ITBS just give me wood. I want them. Unless you have the $$$ to spend many hours on the dyno, I would wager a proper IM would make more power anyways. The MAP signal is so erratic and uninformative it makes tuning a bitch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
also look into picking up the 2nd gen megasquirt, as it already has provision for both individual runner throttle bodies, and forced induction. using a blend of Alpha-N (throttle position) and Speed density (map). i might be wrong, please double check on megas website.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I've seen it once, search "itb turbo". I'll be doing it myself once I get better with the AEM ems stuff. Right now I can barely keep the car running haha. Wish I went megasquirt, much more community support. I already have all the parts required.

That said, IMO there is little to no benefit. A proper IM should yield the same power much easier. Lighten your rotating assembly and flywheel if you want better engine response. ITBS just give me wood. I want them. Unless you have the $$$ to spend many hours on the dyno, I would wager a proper IM would make more power anyways. The MAP signal is so erratic and uninformative it makes tuning a bitch.
Let me know if I can help. I've only used Hondata before, and my engine is still going strong. :phillyb:

But an erratic MAP signal is not going to help with tuning. Even if you're able to compromise the fuel/ign maps, if the signal is off, it will be reading values from the wrong part of the table anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
also look into picking up the 2nd gen megasquirt, as it already has provision for both individual runner throttle bodies, and forced induction. using a blend of Alpha-N (throttle position) and Speed density (map). i might be wrong, please double check on megas website.
While Hybrid Alpha-N is viable for ITB's + Turbo (A friend of mine went that route with an MS-II on his GSXR-1k ITB setup on a 16v MK2 GTI) But the best bet honestly is to go with a hotwire MAFS. Mass-air based metering makes for a much more stable tune/idle/street behavior, and it's also MUCH more tolerant of changes in altitude or DA.

Coming from the Supra world, most guys just love those straight-piped or open turbo inlets - But love it or hate it, a MAFS-based system is the most accurate metering method.
The downside is that few standalones have good support for MAFS setups, as most people simply go to MAP instead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts