ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Miata
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a used setup for my 96 NA. Came off a NB so I had to change the harness connector. Runs fine except when it is hot out (80 plus degrees). Runs ok until I stop to go into a store for 10minutes or so. When I come out to restart it, it has a misfire until I get moving. In a minute or so the misfire goes away.

From what I have read, it is a good chance the module is getting too hot. I have a huge heatsink to put on to solve that.

While I was diagnosing it, I found that I have 2 different coil part numbers.
I have 2 of each 129700-5230 and 129700-5140.

Anybody know the specs or where I can find them from Denso? I have spent quite a bit of time and can not find any specs for Denso coils.

Thanks in advance
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

·
Registered
96 Miata
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did some research and made a couple changes. .
Denso is part of the Toyota group. Toyota owns 25% of Denso. So odds are that the Toyota coils are made by the Denso division.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denso

Although I have 2 different coil numbers, they are all the same resistance. Performance should be the same. I ordered one so they all match anyway. Good to have a spare.
I bought a name brand module to replace the Fab9 no name module. Made in Germany off an Audi. Meyel is the brand. The 2 modules are slightly different sizes.

While swapping the module, I installed a real heatsink. The heatsink is off an old Pentium 2 cpu. I used thermal epoxy to mate the module and heatsink. No problems since then. I think the cheap no name module was overheating and causing the misfire.

Circuit component Motor vehicle Automotive design Electrical wiring Audio equipment

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
2 Posts
Would you share the Audi part number please?

I did some research and made a couple changes. .
Denso is part of the Toyota group. Toyota owns 25% of Denso. So odds are that the Toyota coils are made by the Denso division.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denso

Although I have 2 different coil numbers, they are all the same resistance. Performance should be the same. I ordered one so they all match anyway. Good to have a spare.
I bought a name brand module to replace the Fab9 no name module. Made in Germany off an Audi. Meyel is the brand. The 2 modules are slightly different sizes.

While swapping the module, I installed a real heatsink. The heatsink is off an old Pentium 2 cpu. I used thermal epoxy to mate the module and heatsink. No problems since then. I think the cheap no name module was overheating and causing the misfire.

View attachment 151909
View attachment 151908

1 - 6 of 6 Posts