ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Old Threads > New Threads
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just released this week by Fab9. A readily available vband manifold for Borg Warner's EFR turbos. This thing looks so pretty!

Check out the intro thread here

Side Mount Stainless EFR V-Band Turbo Manifold

EWG location shown below. This location was ideal for obvious routing reasons and for those of you who have a little hoon in you and wish to rotate your EWG and dump through the hood (blame the Evo guys). Also, this makes routing the manifold reference lines, away from heat and short.

Introducing the solution many of you have been waiting for and soon won’t have to. The all new Fab9 Side Mount V-Band EFR Turbo Manifold. Like many of the solutions we offer, we set out to solve problems with quality solutions that don’t break the bank. Whilst cost isn’t sky high, don’t be fooled, we’ve sacrificed nothing in the means of quality and functionality. When paired with Borg Warner EFR technology that continues to prove itself on our small displacement engines you can expect extreme efficiency that will produce a much more linear power delivery than could be expected in the past from similar sized GT or even GTX solutions.

The manifold is produced with complete Schedule material, no hangers or turbo cranes will be necessary. Depending on your configuration, manifolds are available with a multitude of options including - EGT Sensor Bung welded to the collector, External Wastegate configuration and coatings.

Features:

Full Stainless Construction
Sch10 Thick Wall 304 Stainless
0.500” CNC’d Flange
Oval to Round Port Transitions
Fully Back Purged Tig Welded Fabrication
High Flow Merge Collector
Side Mount AC + PS Compatible Design

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
This thread gave me a great idea. I'm going to put together a "kit" using essentially plug and play items available from forum sponsors. I think it would be really cool to have several kits put together here in this thread - lists almost anybody could take and modify for their own setup. I went ahead and put a kit together using forum sponsor vendors. Since this thread was based on Fab9 Tuning's manifold, I started there.

Build goal is 500whp. I'm listing parts needed ONLY for reliable power production - I am NOT including clutch, flywheel, transmission, differential, axles, hubs, brakes, suspension, braces, etc. just to make the power without breaking anything.

Fab9 Tuning EFR Turbo manifold AND downpipe - $1174
Fab9 Tuning BW EFR 6258 Turbo - $1539.52
Fab9 Tuning Turbosmart blow-off valve + install fabrication - $400
Trackspeed Engineering built longblock - $4000
Trackspeed Engineering Injector Dynamics 1000cc - $480
Trackspeed Engineering M-Tuned coolant reroute - $329
Trackspeed Engineering AEM EMS4 plug & play (EMS, sensors, wiring) - $1350
Trackspeed Engineering 12+1 Trigger wheel - $49
Flyin Miata AEM O2 sensor + gauge - $210
Flyin Miata complete oil cooler kit - $354
Flyin Miata Big Fuel System - $809
949 Racing Supermiata Harmonic Damper - $344
949 Racing Boost control solenoid - $60
Trackdog Racing Aluminum Rad - $279
Trackdog Racing Intercooler kit - $1095
Basemap, tune, O2 feedback adjustments; DYNO - $500
Shipping for all these purchases - $500

TOTAL = $13,472.00

Some of these numbers can come down if some of the work is DIY, but there are quite a few small items not even listed here - plumbing/fab for turbo oil and/or cooling lines, installation time, wiring, fittings, brackets, ducting, etc. From past build experience, I know I would need about 25% more budget to fix issues and to buy parts I didn't know I needed. So that really puts the budget for this build around $17,000.00 and we haven't even talked about the rest of the driveline.

·
Registered
521 Posts
^^^ In this case you're probably better off with a DIY LS3 swap using the FlyinMiata kit and a used Corvette engine.
A 500whp Miata engine just sounds like a grenade and a serious gas hog.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
^^^ In this case you're probably better off with a DIY LS3 swap using the FlyinMiata kit and a used Corvette engine.
A 500whp Miata engine just sounds like a grenade and a serious gas hog.
Well yeah! I just saw the Fab9 manifold and thought it would be fun to see exactly what it would take to take advantage of an EFI turbo. You obviously need a TON of support parts.

I don't think a 500whp Miata motor has any more risk of grenading than any other high HP build - it all depends on that tune! Honestly if I were going to attempt this type of build, I'd go for a more hardcore EMS solution like MOTEC or maybe an AEM Infinity. Running water/meth and/or nitrous would be a good way to get intake temperatures under control, allowing timing and a higher margin of safety. Even so if I were racing this motor on track, I would not expect it to last more than a couple seasons.

I think most people who go for a build like this do so for a lot of different reasons, but one of the biggest is probably parts on hand. If you already have a built Miata motor and at least some of the support parts, would it make sense to do an LSx swap? Would you actually save anything?

In either case, you gotta pay to play.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The new Formula One engines probably make over 650 whp from 1.6L of displacement. To achieve that number those engines are designed beyond belief, use exotic materials with turbos and hybrid systems (motor assist). They also rev to 15,000 RPM.

Those engines are also only used for 2 or 3 race weekends before being replaced.

·
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@jumbosrule - there are so many things in that list that I'd do differently. But I can tell you first hand, you aren't going to make reliable 500whp with less than $15,000 invested. Unfortunately. If you want bang for your buck, LSx swap is the way to go, but if you just want to see what you can do with a turbo 4-cylinder and are ready to dump some money into your car, EFR is the way to go. At least that's what I'm doing :bouncin:

Another random picture of the completed hotside with the wastegate plumbed.

And downpipe:

·
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope. Leaving it like that. I'll do heat shielding elsewhere to make up for it but I'm leaving the manifold and downpipe just clean stainless steel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts