ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which fender roller are you guys using? I'm using this Ebay fender roller ($200 quids!!!), and it doesn't even come close to fitting. It's made for monster trucks or something. It's way too long. I tried both pivot holes- both too long. Took out the short elbow and stuck the roller directly into the main tube- still too long.

Granted my Teins have a ~38mm reduced stroke- so I'm giving up maybe 38*1.4=54mm at full droop compared to stock. But I'm sure I'm not the only one with short stroke suspension, right? So what gives?

·
3,857 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem!
The trick is to fit the fender roller in and play with the angle of the wheel...

·
Registered
720 Posts
jesse i wish i knew earlier you were looking to roll fenders
i had mine rolled locally by a guy on miata.net
he had one of those fender roller tools and only charged me 40 dollars for all four corners

M

·
0 Posts
jesse i wish i knew earlier you were looking to roll fenders
i had mine rolled locally by a guy on miata.net
he had one of those fender roller tools and only charged me 40 dollars for all four corners
How long did it take and how'd it turn out? $10 a corner is an amazing price if it was done well.

·
3,857 Posts
WOW $40 for four is insane price, if I was doing that I would be charging at least $70-$80.

If you think about it most of the places are charging $70+shipping only to rent the tool and then you have to do it by yourself!

Granted that when you learn how to use the machine you can do it really fast, but $40 it's dirty cheap!

·
Registered
720 Posts
yea he helps out board members
nice guy
took about 3 hours for all four corners
it went faster because it was a hot day so we didnt have to spend too much time heating the paint

·
3,857 Posts
Wow, that's even more unbelievable...
It took me I think less than 2 hours and it was my first time!
Of course it took me more time to see what I should do with the fender liners and the cables...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Jesse, I had the same problem with my TEIN Flex. There's not enough room to get the roller in there.

Disconnect the lower bolt on the shock and use a floor jack to keep the hub where you want it. Good luck.

M

·
0 Posts
It just occurred to me that maybe you were trying to do the job with the coilover attached.
Obviously (to me, at least) you need to detach the top of the coilover to get full droop of the control arms, then you use a jack under the spindle to manipulate the radius of the tool relative to the lip.

Which fender roller are you guys using? I'm using this Ebay fender roller ($200 quids!!!), and it doesn't even come close to fitting. It's made for monster trucks or something. It's way too long. I tried both pivot holes- both too long. Took out the short elbow and stuck the roller directly into the main tube- still too long.

Granted my Teins have a ~38mm reduced stroke- so I'm giving up maybe 38*1.4=54mm at full droop compared to stock. But I'm sure I'm not the only one with short stroke suspension, right? So what gives?

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So those of you who had no trouble fitting the roller there- what suspension are you guys running? Also did you guys use the same roller?

Maybe I'll try again using Bill's method. Seems like a lot of work to compensate for a lousy tool.....

·
Registered
369 Posts
I was telling you to do the same thing as Bill except only undoing one bolt instead of 2 and not having to take out the spare tire or trunk lining.

It's not a lot of work. I have a TEIN suspension also and you have to disconnect something to fit the roller.

·
Registered
720 Posts
no you dont have to but you do have to remove screws that hold the fender liner to the area you want to roll and bend the tabs to be behind the fender

·
Registered
534 Posts
If you have aftermarket coilovers you have to detach them and put a jack or stand under it and roll away.

sorry to get off topic a bit but do you have to remove the fender lining when rolling the fender?
You don't have to, but I guess you're rolling because of rubbing, and if you roll the fenders you'll still rub on the liners, you'll either have to cut parts of it out or take them out.

M

·
0 Posts
I was telling you to do the same thing as Bill except only undoing one bolt instead of 2 and not having to take out the spare tire or trunk lining.
Now ya tell me! :p

Yeah, that makes more sense.

I'm going to have my tool shortened to make it fit w/o having to loosen the struts. I'll post pics when I do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts