ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I'm pretty much set with her I realized I never did a build thread. Oops. ;)

I really just stumbled into this car. At the time I bought her my old Chevy Tracker's transmission had grenaded and I was desperately scouring Craigslist for a V8 5spd 4x4 Dakota. I'm talking to my cousin's new husband about it when he tells me he would be willing to sell his Miata to me for cheap. I was halfway through saying, "No thank you I can't drive a Miata. You see, I have testicles and a sensitive rectum" When he mentions 65K miles and a damn low price. Well it didn't violate my rule against FWD so I got my checkbook quick before he changed his mind.

Day I bought her after some serious polishing:

Miata 001 by esrvdb88, on Flickr

I found m.net and discovered how reliable and easy to work on these things are. Still was thinking of flipping it for a profit and buying a old BMW bike and Dakota when I found some pics of a certain cr.net member's NB that made me realize that your Miata doesn't have to look like its smiling all the damn time(Breezy).

vs

Miata 005 by esrvdb88, on Flickr
Yeah, got some work to do.

Then I had a goal, and a car that had low miles but no maintenance had been done but oil changes. After fluid changes, lots of miles, and lots of tire dust I found an OEM small tupperware kit on ebay, and got the Rspeed OEM style lip

Last time I used these ramps! I nearly pulled the lip right back off backing down.

rspeed lip by esrvdb88, on Flickr

And done

done by esrvdb88, on Flickr

After that she was a nice quiet DD for a bit while I "worked" coaching some of these nut jobs and using lots of CF and FG on an 8 I broke in half on a bridge.

P1020272 by esrvdb88, on Flickr

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The car was just a DD pretty much exactly like that until I landed a real job aka got money. I pulled the baby teeth and got a black "high flow" mesh from Moss.

My goal was to get rid of these 14s by the end of the year

Didn't happen. But the parts pile did grow:

I bought some of the worst suspension imaginable:

The heaviest shift knob I could afford (moddiction anvil2)

Decided to mix and match gauge clusters into something different:

Bought a sticker: #browncoats

Ordered a Square top intake mani:

Returned the NOT a squaretop mani...

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then I poked at the weep hole in my trans to check a leak, and within a few days the transmission fluid was all on the ground. So the jack stands came out to play.

An OEM replacement clutch went in with an 11lb F1 racing chromoly flywheel, and a crapton of new seals.

This got cleaned up (this is actually halfway through cleaning it)

I knocked the nose emblem off while clearing ice and had an emergency buffing/debadging session with the front bumper

The new shocks and springs went in and it was no longer quite 4x4 status. Might go lower someday but not so long as I keep working where I am with the damn narrow high speedbumps.

Snows and steelies:

Stole these from the tirerack warehouse in Windsor

Ordered a used swaybar, end links, and most importantly some custom center badges from Revlimiter:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Toned down the tails a bit and added an ebay shorty CF antenna

Also put a new top on in the middle of the coldest week of the year, but no pictures of that since I was way to pissed off the whole time for that crap.

Picked up one of Rob's tow hooks:

It is a fantastic part, but I might have to pull it for something more low key since every single POS honda around here has a towhook and my buddies continue to say its :rice: bastards.

Jokes on them though, one of them drives this econocar :blaugh:

Last day on snow tires at my old place of employment.

Wheels!

I got pulled over twice in a week for no front plate so Garagestar to the rescue ^

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Made a foamectomey happen and my head finally stopped rubbing the top.

Then I was bored so the engine bay got some love via raceland header and valve clearance checking.

Was concerned about the mild scoring on one cam, but decided to let it be.

So I never took pics of my engine bay, but the pre-existing bigguns are the Monsterflow with shield and OEM (I think) shock tower brace off an 01+, also NGK wires and plugs.

Forgive the ebay engine damper, my motor mounts are nearly shot and its keeping the header from rattling too badly. More garage start bits with the plug wire cover, theres their cooling panel too but I have no pics of it.

Painted the cover with wrinkle red VHT paint, ebay oil cap that needs replacing, and Raceland header which is absolutely a beautiful bit of metal and actually did make a change in power for me off the super shittly 99-00 CA spec mani.

Ignore the o2 sensor crimps that got ripped out, it was sub freezing temps when I put the cover back on and the wires were very brittle and in a crappy spot. **** happens XD Got a new pigtail to splice in.

And thats all I got for pics for now. But there are a few JDM bits that I'll get pics of in the next few days.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL, my first car a contour. Worst car ever. Lets hope he never has to change an alternator. The tow hook is relatively subtle, I wouldn't worry about the ricer vibe haha
I give him **** for it alot. But his is a CSVT with a hybrid 3L swap with the OE SVT cams and a much longer mod list than I have. I might be able to keep up with him around town now but that thing hauls and handles decently for a FWD POS :mrgreen:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking good man. By any chance were you in Waterbury about a week ago?
Just saw this. Yup! I head over that way a few times a month, hit up the Newington Reservoir road when I want to rattle my teeth out.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That rear tow hook is totally ricey. You should take it off and sell it to me cheap so I can properly dispose of it.
Trade ya for your Advans. Straight up, I won't even have you add :haiguyths:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Checker JDM mats got scrubbed up. They actually fit damn near perfectly if you tuck the driver side under the corner of the dead pedal.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well Breezy parted out Peach Party, so my muse is dead. But living on with Freyja now! I got the gv eyelids from Breezy, to say I'm stoked is an understatement.

Should prolly paint these huh?

Sanded and cleaned:

First coat:

Going to be a while before they're on, but man these fit nice and right on the headlight housings.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Remflex gaskets are fantastic if any of you guys have exhaust gasket issues.

Fixed my exhaust leak, and the header bumping the trans tunnel which is fun when you don't pull the header out.

Then messed with my fenders some more.

Put the red on last week:

Tried silver, and matte black (fat fingered the black sample thats why it looks funny)

Didn't like the silver or black so I'm sticking with the Christmas tree look for now. Open to color suggestions though.

vs

Heres more pictures:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A kinda lady decided her insurance company should repaint my passenger side front end and give me some new panels.

New Chaser CF hard top.

I forgot about this thread. New CF hardtop, and some little things. Have a few more goodies on the way, just got it back from the body shop Friday.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts