ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a car last year that has a Garage Vary front bumper cover. The cover needs some repair work done to it. Any Ideas on repairing it. Should I use epoxy resin or polyester resin. Are there any good websites or books that you might have used?
Thanks. Jp

·
Registered
209 Posts
I used epoxy resin to fix the hard top on my 95, stuff wasn't cheap... But it sure is strong!

I used epoxy based simply cause the hardtop's SMC fiberglass... So, depends on what the GV bumper's made from.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I'm guessing the GV bumper is made using polyester resin. It's best to use the same chemistry resin when making repairs. I have no idea how to tell the two apart when cured but I suspect that many fiberglass parts are made using polyester resin because it's less expensive.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
http://www.vary.co.jp/top/faq.html
Garage Vary said:
Being painted, it increases the product?
Calling you obtain, as for FRP make with the not yet paint white gel coat finish, as for the urethane make it continues to be resin color.
I've found FiberGlast is the best resource for the amateur hobbyist. Aircraft Spruce is also good for getting materials for small projects but they're located in California, USA. I'm sure there is a local supplier in the UK that offers similar products.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think the quote was saying the Material the bumper's made out of it.

My engrish isn't so good, nor is my google translateze, but it sounds like the bumper's FRP or Urethane. If it cracks and you can see fibers in there... FRP it is. Use the epoxy based resin to repair. If it's urethane... I think it's more like plastic? But I dunno about that stuff too much.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
I think the quote was saying the Material the bumper's made out of it.

My engrish isn't so good, nor is my google translateze, but it sounds like the bumper's FRP or Urethane. If it cracks and you can see fibers in there... FRP it is. Use the epoxy based resin to repair. If it's urethane... I think it's more like plastic? But I dunno about that stuff too much.
It doesn't. It's a REAL POOR translation of a FAQ on Painted Parts:

the actual translation is:

Does the part come Painted?

No, The FRP parts come in unpainted gelcoat and the (poly)urethane parts are unpainted resin.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
It doesn't help any. I was thinking it would help noodle identify whether his part was fiberglass or urethane but he already told us it's fiberglass and it's easy enough to tell the two apart. It was silly for me to post that really. I still recommend Fiberglast.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Edit: My engrish is awful, please do not listen to me. Thank you, TurboRed.

I would say you can't go wrong with Epoxy Based Resin... The stuff IS very strong, sticks to almost everything, and is easy to work.

·
CR.net Supporter
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone for their advice. I'll give the fiberglast a try and see how it adheres to the cover.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts