ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lit like a BranchDavidian
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last July i had a fidanza flywheel installed along with a exedy 3-puck SPRUNG disk. The set up was nice with a quick engagement, but not much chatter or anything negative. I have done a few drift events with it (i seldomly use and aggressive clutching techniques when drifting, mostly just power over and stay in one gear, sometimes shift), and its also my daily. But here less then a year later the thing gave up its ghost. When i'd accelerate the clutch would slip if i went into boost. So i ordered a new ACT clutch disk thinking the exedy one was just not able to hold the power. Well upon pulling the clutch assembly out, the pressure plate and flywheel (aluminium) were grooved like a bad brake rotor... but NOT from the rivets on the clutch disk. The pads still had quite a bit of life left in them

Well, i go ahead and order a replacement friction surface for the flywheel only to find out the flywheel is WARPED. Now there were no heat marks/colors on the flywheel at all, no sign of severe conditions.

So i will now go back to a stock flywheel as i dont trust getting a replacement and i need to have my car back tomorrow.

Has anyone else had or heard of Fidanza flywheels having problems??

·
Registered
484 Posts
i have a lightened flywheel but from what i know i did not choose the fidanza one because it's ALUMINUM. I only wanted chromoly steel because it is much harder and proned to warping. I have the fujiracing one and it's pretty nice =) hope that explains why yours warped and i hope i'm not wrong about that.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Aluminum flywheel is more prone to warp from heat and abuse. Chromoly is more suitable for aggressive driving. Typically speaking, alluminum flywheel are generally lighter and chromoly is a little heavier. They are both lighter than stock though.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Ive never actually heard anyone with a fidanza in a miata have any trouble with it.

I run it. I love it. I chose it over my jdm Cro-Mo that I bought a month earlier.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I opted for the Fidanza becuase of price I also won't be putting out much power and plan on staying NA for a while and when I upgrade to a heavier duty clutch, I won't have to resurface the flywheel. Just buy a new friction plate for $50. I know resurfacing a flywheel normally runs $40, but the cost of the fidanza was about $150 cheaper than the cheapest chromoly. Both will do fine for most applications.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I opted for the Fidanza becuase of price and wehen I upgrade to a heavier duty clutch, I won't have to resurface the flywheel. Just buy a new friction platefor $50. I know resurfacing a flywheel normally runs $40, but the cost of the fidanza was about $150 cheaper than the cheapest chromoly. Both will do fine for most applications.
Is there a Fidanza aluminum Miata Flywheel in the $150-$200 price range? I would like to know who sells the cheapest flywheels and if any of you can share that it would be much appreciated. There is an obvious reason why our Miata Flywheel and the Japanese tuning shops go with Chrome-moly.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I opted for the Fidanza becuase of price and wehen I upgrade to a heavier duty clutch, I won't have to resurface the flywheel. Just buy a new friction platefor $50. I know resurfacing a flywheel normally runs $40, but the cost of the fidanza was about $150 cheaper than the cheapest chromoly. Both will do fine for most applications.
Is there a Fidanza aluminum Miata Flywheel in the $150-$200 price range? I would like to know who sells the cheapest flywheels and if any of you can share that it would be much appreciated. There is an obvious reason why our Miata Flywheel and the Japanese tuning shops go with Chrome-moly.

Jimmy
FujiRacing
As far as i know, the 1.6 Fidanza ones run in the $350 range and the 1.8 are $20-40 more.

APEXI- I already bought the new friction surface and when it was put on to the flywheel, it wouldnt seat all the way down because the flywheel was warped.

So with this, the car got a stock flywheel back in.

·
Registered
902 Posts
DropTopDrifter-Sorry to hear about your problem. Thanks for the information because I have never seen Aluminum Miata flywheels that cheap.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
698 Posts

Jimmy
FujiRacing
Doh, #-o excuse me while I pull my foot out of my mouth. I totally forgot about Fujiracing. :roll: And pardon my poor estimate of $150-$200 it actually more like $40-$150 depending brand (Fujiracing-to-TodaRacing. You guys (Fuji) by far have one of the better if not the best priced Chromoly unit and from what I have read the best service to aswell. I've asked a lot of people about which is better (chromoly or aluminum) and never got a solid answer, it really did seem almost half and half. The biggest complaint was noise which I'm not all that cconcerned with since I already have a pretty loud exhaust. So I figured I'd keep it simple, save a bit and just get the Fidanza ($312 shipped, could've gotten one for $294 shipped, but missed the bid) and I did want a chromoly unit, but I practically had to pry the money from my wifes hands. This will be my first lightened flywheel experience in any car and so far no complaint, but I have nothing to guage it against. Should something go wrong I will definitely be calling Fuji. I like to support the sponsor whenever financially possible. :wink:

Maybe your flywheel was warped because you have forced induction and a strong clutch, Much like CE28 had said. I've read about fellas on m.net saying that aluminum on FI Miata's being a bad idea but never really understood why. A couple of guys were saying only stock flyhwheel while some said a slighty lighter 12-14lb unit would be great.

·
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, if i had the time, i'd get a lightened stock clutch. But since i dont, im just going to put a plain stock one in. I'm thinking that since im doing the inst-a-boost set up on the s/c that it will easily compensate for the light flywheel in terms of rev response.

Wish i could afford a chromoly one :(

·
Registered
902 Posts
Sorry and not to take away from the thread. Just want to help out. Get in touch with me when you need a Flywheel. I'll do everything that I can. I do this for a passion first and I know that things get pretty expensive quick. I can pretty much compete with anyone on prices. Of course I want to sell someone our Flywheel but I can also get Fidanza. If you want ACT I can get that too. During an install contact me anytime and if I don't have the answer I will try to find out.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

1 - 12 of 12 Posts