ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im rebuilding my shifter assembly tomorrow, and figured id tackle the oil as well

does anyone know if the 99 nb 5-speed can be filled through the shifter assembly?

i heard rumors that the nb could, specifically the 6 speed, but wasnt sure about the 5 (unlike the na with a separated turret).

·
Registered
95 Posts
I did a lot of research before I changed the fluid in my 5 speed NB & not once did I read that it could be changed through the turret.

After refilling the transmission from under the car, I replaced my turret boots and refilled my turret. I easily got it to overflow with about 5 oz of fluid.

I sure think that if it were possible, I would have come across it in my research.

·
Registered
967 Posts
No fluid is necessary in the "turret", fill it through the check fill plug only for the 5 speed. If you have trouble getting to it (lowered NB's are a pain, I know) then run a long vacuum line to it and pour the fluid in from the engine bay through the line, takes a while but it's sometimes easier than using a little pump while laying on your back.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh ok, i got the tranny filled fine, was just curious about the turret, as i saw a little oil pool in the bottom of it, but wasnt sure if that was how its supposed to be, or if it was low

·
Registered
967 Posts
Put fluid in there if you really want to, but it's not required. People always think it is for some reason, why I'm not sure maybe there are some transmissions out there that need it but every customer's manual RWD transmission I've serviced I haven't put fluid in there and had no complaints.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Every heard of shifter bushing grease? I never said I didn't lubricate or perferm maintinance on the shifter assembly. All my post said was that transmission fluid is not necassary in the "turret". Be careful before you go accusing people of not knowing what they're doing.

·
Garage Quinn Motors - GQM
2,847 Posts
uhm. maybe because mazda puts fluid in there to lubricate the shifter and bushings.. you don't need to fill it all the way to the top, but the lower bushing needs to be in oil. if you're not doing it, you're doing it wrong.. and remind me where you work so i never bring a car there..

+1

You tell the OP that he doesn't need to put anything in there and leave it at that. Which makes me want to call bullshit even more on your second post. OP, put some tranny fluid in the turrent.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Every heard of shifter bushing grease? I never said I didn't lubricate or perferm maintinance on the shifter assembly. All my post said was that transmission fluid is not necassary in the "turret". Be careful before you go accusing people of not knowing what they're doing.
"Every" heard of actually spelling out all the information? don't tell me to be careful before making accusations.. you don't know me.

thanks Quinn on backing me up. i didn't want the OP to think he didn't need to do anything to the turret at all, unlike what Spettro led to believe by the information he posted..

btw, you're going to love the new shifter bushings.. sooo nice. best "feel good" mod ever. haha.

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
+1

You tell the OP that he doesn't need to put anything in there and leave it at that. Which makes me want to call bullshit even more on your second post. OP, put some tranny fluid in the turrent.
+1

turret needs about 4-5 ounces of the same oil that is in the trans...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts