ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Drove it almost 2 whole miles before the driveshaft flange and diff parted company and it was great! Still it makes me smile hopefully my new flange shows up Saturday and I can have it back on the road

·
Registered
910 Posts
"Drove it almost 2 whole miles before the driveshaft flange and diff parted company and it was great!" Must have been cheap if it was still great lol.

+1 on the mouse trap I mean style bar.

That looks like a gem. I love the way a ruff red car cleans up. Once you get some water on it, polish and wax that thing will look great. Nice find.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im thinking of it as a $25,000 savings over the 05 elise I was going to look at today so yes it seems like a great deal. I have noticed in my area Miatas (correct pluralization?) seem to be overpriced I looked at another 90 that was clearly beat in need of a new top, brakes, and, shocks that was advertised for $3000. I picked this up from a friends sister for $900 all be it with a ticking time bomb (welded crank keyway) My plan at this point is pretty simple get a decent roll bar (Im 6'0 and kind of fat so I may have to make one) 1.8 swap when the crank nose breaks, and, a little suspension work shocks and bushings probably.

I have a 05 neon SRT4 acr built for SMF autocross, an Omni GLH Turbo hill climb car, a 95 neon LeMons car, and, a 97 Grand Cherokee to tow it all. The Miata is going to be 95% daily and 5% easy track day car

Thanks for the kind words

·
Registered
910 Posts
My brother had an Elise, awesome car but the Miata has some freedom that the Elise does not. The diff on his Miata is on it's way out and we laugh almost to the point of tears. In the Louts he would be crying actual tears.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Congratulations on the new car, you will have fun. That paint, if original, will shine back to almost new. They have no clearcoat from the factory.

My brother had an Elise, awesome car but the Miata has some freedom that the Elise does not. The diff on his Miata is on it's way out and we laugh almost to the point of tears. In the Louts he would be crying actual tears.
I loved and miss my Elise but as a street car it was a waste. The handling envelope was just too high to have fun safely, dogging sportbikes was fun. As a trackcar it was too fragile for my shallow pockets. My last two Miatas cost less then I would spend on a set of tires and brakes.

The Miata to me brings freedom. They are built like tanks, take a ridiculous amount of track abuse and still get you to work the next day. A full set of new rotors cost less then one tire for my Elise.

See all the freedom on the side of the car.:twisted:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hey! I bought the magnum head from ya way back when (01rtgurl). It's amazing how many Neon guys have converted to Miatas........ :) Welcome!

Your car got me started on this idea its just taken 3 years for me to buy one. I dont know about converted the lone miata is sitting at my shop among the neons and turbo ford.

So far my weekend plans

Remove and burn style bar
Change oil
Change trans and diff fluid (suggestions?)
Swap summer tires on (I got a second set of wheels with good summer tires with the car)
Replace radio with one from this decade
Maybe fashion an exhaust stock is way too quiet
Retorque crank pulley bolt
Buff and wax

Any other maintenance suggestions while Im in here?

A couple pics of the other toys

·
Speed Racer
4,690 Posts
Didn't know you had a GLH! That mag head made it's way back to me.. I still have it, but don't have a neon to put it on LOL.

What did you do with the driver seat out of the SRT??

Thanks for the kind words, glad I inspired someone :)

"Change trans and diff fluid (suggestions?)"

http://www.miata.net/garage/fluid.html (capacities)
http://www.miata.net/garage/trans/everything.html (fluid change with pics, I know this isn't your first rodeo but sometimes knowing what you're getting into helps)

I'm pretty sure I used Redline 75W90 when I did my fluids.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts