ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After lots of searching I finally have a set. They aren't one of the genuine, stamped 300 (had a chance to get some for somewhere around $450-500 but couldn't commit) but they are super clean. Unfortunately they are white and my car isn't, but I need a paint job anyway so they'll get repainted. And since the car isn't ready for any type of driving until the paint job (and some body work), these babies go in the closet with the other goodies :mrgreen:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mirror part is a Vitaloni part, the Sebring model. The base that allows it to bolt up to the Miata was made by someone else. I'm not sure who, but one of the jedi's will chime in :wink: M2 used them for the 1028 and those were stamped M2 Incorporated on the base. There's only 300 of these because there were only 300 1028's made and the only way to get those is to find an owner who replaced theirs or parted it out.

They were also sold by companies like GHO using the exact same parts, but without the stamp. These are obviously more common, but still pretty rare especially stateside.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah, I thought they looked a bit like the Sebring.

So, to fit them in the "M2" way, the passenger side mirror is mounted a bit further fwd, and the original holes covered with a numbered M2 plate, right?

M

·
0 Posts
The problem with JDM mirrors is they're setup for RHD so the "objects are closer than they appear" convex mirror is on the wrong side for LHD. Do you just swap the glass from one side to the other?

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
As far as I can tell there is no diff between left and right. The mirrors are easily swappable anyways. The biggest issue is that for short people, the driver's side might run out of adjustment. Having said that though- I'm a 5'8" shorty, and I have absolutely no issue. Now if you're 5'3" though, it might be a problem. If you read the reviews on carview, some japanese owners complain about this exact issue. And on the real M2 car, the driver's side mirror is mounted forward by a few inches to resolve this issue.

BTW, great find, Dru! And if you want to be faithful leave the mount and the bottom part of the mirrors black. I think there're probably 4 or 5 of us in the US running these mirrors now (?) - don't know if Phat is running these? I notice he was selling a pair earlier.

Also- my understanding is that Vitaloni made these for both M2 and GHO. In fact when new they came in a Vitaloni box (a green box IIRC)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jesse, these white ones will look great on your white Roadster if you want to trade for your genuine ones :lol: I know, not a snowballs chance :lol:

I'm planning on stripping the bases back to black, hopefully they're anodized or something that I can't strip off or make look horrible after the white paint comes off. The plastic part I might have to paint black.

Bill, if these are one flat and one convex mirror (I didn't check), you can just take them apart and swap sides.

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
The mount looks like powder coated aluminum to me.... so you're probably have to spray-can it black again after you strip it.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I think there're probably 4 or 5 of us in the US running these mirrors now (?) - don't know if Phat is running these? I notice he was selling a pair earlier.
I ended up buying the ones Phat had.. love they way they look!!

Still using my Runabouts for now though.

I need to rebuild them.. the left side mirror will not stay in position while driving.

·
1,213 Posts
JDMC ... I'm diggin your style too, nice and understated - sometimes the purity of the original design is easily lost but your car looks class

love the wheels ... are the +9.5 offset R S Watanabe's ?

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
I need to rebuild them.. the left side mirror will not stay in position while driving.
Your car reaffirms my faith in Roadsters!!!!!! =D> =D> =D>

On the subject of the left mirror being loose- you can take off the little steel plate inside the mount, and then put a small piece of paper (I use gasket paper) in there to act as a shim so that there is more pressure against the swivel ball. Firms up the mirror very well.

My mirror doesn't gradually droop anymore after I did that.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Your car reaffirms my faith in Roadsters!!!!!!

On the subject of the left mirror being loose- you can take off the little steel plate inside the mount, and then put a small piece of paper (I use gasket paper) in there to act as a shim so that there is more pressure against the swivel ball. Firms up the mirror very well.

My mirror doesn't gradually droop anymore after I did that.
Wow, thanks jesse!!! :mrgreen: And I will certainly give your gasket paper fix a try!!!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can now edit out the "style" in the title of this post :D Got another set, this time the real deal =D>

These aren't nearly as clean as the other ones and unfortunately they are also painted white, but I was going to have to repaint the others anyway so it's no big deal to me. The glass and everything else is still pretty good so with some new paint they should look great. That means the other ones will be going up in the classifieds shortly.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
Dcuatro used to sell the 1028 type Vitaloni with Miata Specific bases, now i think the only company that still sells them is Hobidas, and they are made to order for about $180 per mirror!!!!

Phatty

1 - 18 of 18 Posts