ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's missing here
http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r221/ecugrad/?action=view&current=SMALLDSCN1826.jpg

I bought my IRTB's from Jimmy @Fuji SEVERAL months ago when he first had them on special. Between getting married 1000 miles from my house, autocrossing, doing track days and trying to get a house ready to sell. The IRTB's just got pushed back. Now is the time. I have 10 days off for xmas and they WILL be running by New Years Day.

I am running the Megasquirt I v3.0 and have had it on the car for a few months now. I wanted to get it running well before I put on the IRTB's. I completed a 2 day track event at Rockingham, and an autocross with the Megasquirt, so it is pretty well tuned in.

I'll post more pics as I go along!

PS- Jimmy, I met someone that know you and says hello, Adam Breakey. He said he autocrossed with you in Florida. Told me you were I top notch guy (which I already knew)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: Finally, my project has begun!

Talk about a great way to start the new year!

'grats ecugrad.

Hey the pic link in your post wasn't working. Try again?

Thanks and enjoy that FujiRacing fun!

·
Registered
902 Posts

ecugrad-Great to see that you are finally going to have some time out of your busy schedule. Like I tell everyone if you have any techinical questions call me anytime. Adam owns www.Autocrossforum.com and is a class guy and we roomed together earlier this year in the Arkansas national autox event. Hang out with guys like Adam and you will become a better driver. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
47 Posts

Thanks Foo. Now I see why he said what he did!

ecugrad, sometime can you post your thoughts and experinces with your MS install?

The coolio who made my IRTBs ran his with MS but to date, I have held off as Im doubting my wiring dicing and spilicing ability.

Thansk man.

FH

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

FastHappy said:
ecugrad, sometime can you post your thoughts and experiences with your MS install?
Megasquirt? Its my favorite thing to talk about, next to my IRTB's.

Like I said earlier, I have had my MS in since early October. In that time I have probably 1,000 miles, 2 track days and 1 autocross.

I purchased my MS as a UNassembled kit and soldered it together myself. I have a degree in Electronics, so for me it wasn't bad at all assembling it. If I had it to do over, I would probably buy an assembled kit. It took me roughly 8 hours to assemble. I also have a Innovate LC-1 permanently mounted in my car and wired into the MS. I am running GM Air Temp and Water temp sensor, the MS comes pre-calibrated for them and it makes life easy.

Then I found a guy in New Hampshire on www.miataturbo.net who puts together PnP harnesses for 1.6L Miata's. He wired it into my ECU and put switches on it to go from stock ecu, to full Squirt and Spark. This made it nice to troubleshoot things as I was getting it setup. He is in the process of making PnP kits for the newer models but just needs donor ECU's to make it happen.

The tuning is pretty straight foward with a full 12x12 maps for fuel and spark. I know a little about tuning and have played with the fuel maps but not the spark maps. I have not dynoed it yet (waiting for the IRTB's), but I can tell you this. I broke the ring gear in my diff (6") at the 1st autocross with the MS. I also had MUCH less trouble passing cars at the track event than I did before.

I will be glad to answer any questions about the MS you may have. I would encourage anyone interested in MS to checkout the miataturbo.net, there is a ton of info in the MS forum.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Awesome.

So when you did your install, its was with the P&P mod already done? Is that Kingof337 you speak of?

And to clairfy, you send him your ECU and he mods it w/MS to a P&P unit?

Thanks ecugrad.

And again, congrats man. IRTBs! Hoooha!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Awesome.

So when you did your install, its was with the P&P mod already done? Is that Kingof337 you speak of?

And to clairfy, you send him your ECU and he mods it w/MS to a P&P unit?

Thanks ecugrad.

And again, congrats man. IRTBs! Hoooha!

Yup, I used the setup from Kingof337 from the start.

You send King your ECU, your Megasquirt and your wiring harness for the Megasquirt. King solders everything together INSIDE the ECU. Makes it nice and neat. My Megasquirt resides in the glovebox. I have a DB9 cable run out of the glovebox so I can connect my laptop.

http://www.kingofl337.com/miatasquirt/

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Finally, my project has begun! UPDATED 12/26

Now that Christmas is done and the weather has cleared I made some SERIOUS progress today.

I would have finished it up today but I spent half the day doing the timing belt and water pump. My installation is only gonna run about 6 hours, I could probably do it in 4 if I had to do it all again.

I only have a few more hoses to plumb in before the IRTB's are DONE. I have a ton of other stuff to do before I get to drive it, new clutch slave cylinder, SS brake lines, new brake rotors all around and a new rear end. Only problem is I cant find a damn 4.3 torsen (I just broke a 6" diff with the Mazdaspeed diff).

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Way to go ecugrad, I`m plenty interested in the ITB/Megasquirt setup and have been thinking of starting off with the megasquirt as you have done, however I am not adept at electricals and would rather purchase a complete built up system ready for P&P. I like that idea of being able to switch from OEM ecu to Mega should anything go wrong.

Does your mega ecu run off the CAS or did you a trigger wheel off the crank pulley? Could you pm me Kingof337 email add or website if he has any. TIA

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ecugrad, any updates on your ITB/MS system?
SURE!

It sitting exactly where it was when I tool the last pic :(

I have all the IRTB stuff nailed down except for a new 1/4" NPT Incoming Air Temp Sensor (Brown just dropped it off) and wiring up the TPS (I didn't realize I had to do that until today).

The MAJOR problem is I destroyed the rear end at the last autocross and I just found a 4.3 Torsen to replace it today. So until Brown shows up with the Torsen, all I can do is sit in it on jack stands :oops: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
ecugrad, any updates on your ITB/MS system?
SURE!

It sitting exactly where it was when I tool the last pic :(

I have all the IRTB stuff nailed down except for a new 1/4" NPT Incoming Air Temp Sensor (Brown just dropped it off) and wiring up the TPS (I didn't realize I had to do that until today).

The MAJOR problem is I destroyed the rear end at the last autocross and I just found a 4.3 Torsen to replace it today. So until Brown shows up with the Torsen, all I can do is sit in it on jack stands :oops: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
alas....nirvana must wait :cry:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Nirvana will be blasting down the front straight at VIR Feb 10-11 8)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Finally, my project has begun! UPDATED 1/6/07!!

Well after a little snafu with the intake manifold gasket (there is a RIGHT way to put it on :evil: ) I got to try and start my car today!

IT STARTED!!!! On the first freakin' try. I didnt change any of my settings on my Megasquirt at first. It idled a bit rough.

I changed the Megasquirt to Hybrid Alpha-N and it idled MUCH better.

THEN, I found where I had left a vacuum hose unattached and it idled MUCH, MUCH better.

It actually starts better than it did before the IRTB's. Unfortunately I still have a busted rear end waiting on brown to deliver a new one, so all I can do is rev it sitting on jackstands. :( :(

1 - 20 of 44 Posts