·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw that, but since I don't have an airbag I wanted to go for a closed-face helmet. It would be nice to have a real SA helmet though.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
What do you want the helmet for? Motorcycle, auto-x, HPDE, wheel to wheel racing? It is highly recommended that you try on any helmet prior to purchase to ensure correct fitment. Even different model helmets from the same manufacturer in the same size will fit different. Fit should be snug but not tight. You should be not be able to wiggle the helmet at all on your head. This will feel much tighter than you're probably used to at first.

It's hard to find SA rated helmet in your price range although they can be found (G-Force GF750). If you're just looking for auto-x helmet Snell M2000 or newer is okay. Lot's of closeouts still going on for M2000 helmets since 2005 standard came out. Most people I know who do track days are upgrading to SA helmets and getting HANS for safety. For auto-x I prefer open face because I wear glasses and I like to take my helmet off in between runs to stay cooler. Get a white helmet. Black helmets get oo hot. A cool head is better for safety and performance.

For inexpensive helmets check out
http://www.bellhelmets.com

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
Ill ask some questions here too, as Im also looking for a helmet in this price range to buy early 2007.

Kyle, what can I get away with as far as CDC autocrosses? Thats all I really plan on doing as far as competitive events, just for fun. I dont anticipate any horrible wrecks or rollovers so I think a cheap helmet will suit my needs. At the same time I dont want to buy a helmet and then have them say, "well thats not good enough, you cant use it."

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I need it for AutoX and drifting events, and everyone I know just got the cheapest motorcycle helmit they could find at Wal-Mart.

All I need is a M rated helmet.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I'd get a helmet with a Snell M2000 or newer rating. This would be sufficient to run with CDC, SCCA, or virtually any other auto-x club in the USA. Typically most clubs allow the current rating and the one prior. Your Snell M2000 helmet would be valid until 2010 or whenever the standard is next revised. If you're just doing auto-x a handful of times each year most clubs (CDC included) provide loaner helmets but it's nice to have your own because they do get sweaty inside.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want to have a closed face helmet because I don't have an airbag, yea or nea?

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
Im goin closed face. well mostly because I think the open face ones look silly.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
244 Posts
Gotta have a helmet bag... most racers say once a helmet hits the ground, a bar, or anything with any reasonable impact, gotta get a new helmet.

Of course I think that's a bit hard-core, but hey what do I know :)

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
I guess they gotta get you to pay ~$150 one way or another. I wouldnt get one without a bag either.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
a few suggestions:

it's year-end. goto a few motorcycle retailers. they are trying to clear out their inventory for the new stuff. i have always found good deals in the winter on helmets this way. the helmet i have now is a $375 helmet i got for $175. an added plus is you get to try them on. sizes vary a bit amond the manufacturers.

if you go closed face, buy an extra face shield(you will scratch it eventually and will most likely be in your field of vision and annoy the piss out of you.) and get a bag for the helmet. if not a bag, buy a big-ass cotton bath towel and wrap it in that and stick it in a small gym bag.

there's an old adage that goes like this,"$xxx.xx helmet for a $xxx.xx head." the risk of collision is low, but what is your melon worth to you? buy as much as you can afford.

somtimes moto-x helmets are the best deals. not closed face, but the visor is nice on sunnydays and the jaw protectetion can save your money-maker.

closed-face helmets are better for cars without airbags, but you need to keep the visor down. case in point, i was teaching at a hpde in my wife's miata, top up, windows down. i purposely spun the car, my visor was up. i got hit with sand and gravel in the face . not good.

good luck with your search!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Gotta have a helmet bag... most racers say once a helmet hits the ground, a bar, or anything with any reasonable impact, gotta get a new helmet.

Of course I think that's a bit hard-core, but hey what do I know :)
If that does happen the least someone should do is send their helmet in to be X-rayed. Besides, if it's a chap helmet just replace it. Unless the owners head isn't worth ~$150.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts