ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to search but only found an old thread without any working pics or links.

My extinguisher mounting in the trunk is threaded so the ext just rattle and make alot of annoying noises so i was thinking about relocate it infront of the passenger seat.

After some searching i found this bracket made by Brey Krause which looks awsome but it seems like it supposed to be mounted in the oem seat itself so it wont probably not work with my mazdaspeed seat.

Would like to get something that mounts in the same holes in the floor as the seat do. Is there anything like that on the market?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After some searching i found this bracket made by Brey Krause which looks awsome but it seems like it supposed to be mounted in the oem seat itself so it wont probably not work with my mazdaspeed seat.
Already been looking at that one and what i can tell from revs blog it mounts up on oem seat rail and i don't have those. The mazdaspeed rails are much wider apart.

·
//banned
9,131 Posts
ohhh gotcha.
well good luck. that's what i get for not reading a word you typed except for fire extinguisher and seat bracket. lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Definitely need to find a place to mount my fire extinguisher too. The previous owner (my brother) removed the battery restraint, didn't replace it and forgot to tell me. I had my Miata for two days before the battery tipped, hit the inside of the quarter panel, and caught fire. Fortunately the fire dept. was a block away, and the body shop was two. Bought a fire extinguisher the next day, not going to tempt fate again.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Sorry about the mild derail here but...

I've been giving some thought to a fire bottle as well. However, having started the modification scene with air cooled VWs meant that fire was always a very real concern. Folks would frequently have them bolted into the interior, however it was generally found that even if it was within arm's reach, it still took too long to be effective, or that you were unable to open the compartment where the fire was to extinguish it due to heat. Miatas have both ends to contend with since the battery is in the trunk.

The solution was to plumb a fire bottle in with nozzles in the affected areas. The bottle would remain in the cabin, but it was hard plumbed into the engine bay. Likewise, aircraft are similarly plumbed; if it works there, it'll work in our cars. I just need to get around to doing this.

As an aside: HALON is not a great solution. In the USAF we replaced all of our HALON bottles with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) because HALON emits a toxic gas when applied to a fire. It was deemed unacceptable for fighting outdoor fires due to the toxicity of the reaction (yeah, even out in the middle of a big open concrete aircraft ramp). It doesn't do you any good to save the car or the wiring if you wind up being overtaken by toxic fumes. ;)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yes baking soda works well against oil and fuel fires.

Make VERY sure you have absolutely no leaks in your intake plumbing or your motor if under power will be eating baking soda. Not a good thing.

It makes a huge mess, but considering the alternative, it's a good option.

The one drawback to a plumbed system is with a bare extinguisher, you can use it on something that is not actually your car. So, potentially, you could save a life.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
^Generally the fire bottle lived tucked away in the interior, but a secondary bottle is kept on hand. With that said, if you don't have some training, you probably won't put any fires out with a walk-around bottle anyway.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Isn't halotron the non-hazardous, ozone-friendly Halon replacement? I'm just typing that name from memory. I seem to remember it being not quite as effective as halon, but a lot better for everything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts