ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive searched but to no avail! I cant seem to find a system of mounting a fire extingisher to my rollbar. All the solutions ive seen so far cost either an arm and a leg or dont do the job correctly. I need something that can be released quickly and also keep the thing from becoming a missle in a crash. Anyone have any DIY or store bought solutions?

·
4,438 Posts
Kyle - very nice web site! I see the Mazda insstructions here: http://www.bkauto.com/mazda/instructions/R-9511.pdf

Right now my ext is on the floor - but the seat cannot move forward due to the crude mounting that I have.

7Guy - I would not mount it to your bar unless you like a 15lb torpedo in your car from an accident. Floorboard is best especially if you need it in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea thats the issue Im having. My next upgrade is going to be 2 Corbeau FX Pro's with the corbeau rails. I hardly doubt that the seat mounts will be compatable becasue those seats are 2" lower. Im trying to resolve the missle issue with something that will clamp the extinguisher down good.

This is what I have so far:
Kyles recomendation
http://www.fourtreks.com/modular_fire_extinguisher_mount.html
http://www.chasecam.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=16248&cat=259&page=1

Im also having some issues seeing how the actual extinguisher bolts to the mounts. Does the kit come with the starps that hold it in place? the only solution ive seen is the quick release from OG and that is ove $200!

·
4,438 Posts
7 - when you buy a decent ext, you will get the base that the can mounts to - you then need to mount the base (and can strapped to the baase) to something solid.

I DIY'd my own mount with steel straping made into an H shape - but I screwed myself as it prevents the seat from coming forward :( - Mine is pictured way below the rice stuff.

I am sold on the Brey-Krause - it is about $80, but super nice design.

To me I bought a halon ext to put out a fire and save my car - not to display like some kind of Nopi wannabe (not you - but I have seen others who mount these things on the a-pillar of a front windshield)...need I say more :roll:

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I gotta agree with the Potato, "Bling" Mounting probably not a good idea and the Miata is not exactly spacious. So A-Pillar mount will probably just eat much needed visibility of that road thingy in front of the car :wink:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow that is the stupidest place to mount it. Im doing this so when the turbo catches the hood on fire ill be able to put it out, not to atract attention

·
Registered
12 Posts
yeah isn't though? that Honda in the picture...ohhh I hope hope who ever that is doesn't ever crash into somebody man, that little ext will become a bomb like bullet, go through that winshield and crunch what ever poor slob that happens to be a witness...ohh...no good. Probably easier to get to from the Passenger side floor than the opposite A-Pillar, anyway

I'm still trying to figure out where to put mine though. I considered cutting a hole in the dah down low so it's not really in plain sight, can't kill anybody if I'm in a crash, or block the right seat. I always have alot of passengers in my car and insist on moving the seat around (wife, brothers....PITA friends). gonna be tricky. I've already committed my self to the smelly messy pain of a custom dashboard. Good luck.

·
3,857 Posts
7 - when you buy a decent ext, you will get the base that the can mounts to - you then need to mount the base (and can strapped to the baase) to something solid.

I DIY'd my own mount with steel straping made into an H shape - but I screwed myself as it prevents the seat from coming forward :( - Mine is pictured way below the rice stuff.

To me I bought a halon ext to put out a fire and save my car - not to display like some kind of Nopi wannabe (not you - but I have seen others who mount these things on the a-pillar of a front windshield)...need I say more :roll:

Probably a bit of topic but where I should look for a similar good Halon fire extinguisher?
How much?

·
CR.net Supporter
287 Posts

Peter,

If you moved your bracket attachment from the seat to car mounting bolts to the seat rail to seat bolts, wouldn't that allow you to move the seat and the extinguisher at the same time? Same location as the Brey-Krause mount.

·
3,857 Posts
Thanks Anthony

·
4,438 Posts

Probably a bit of topic but where I should look for a similar good Halon fire extinguisher?
How much?
Chris - I got my halon on ebay - just look for a good date on the can and go with Halon. Read up on Halon on how to use it in a fire - it is a bit different application. I got mind in grat shape from Seattle to Atlanta for about $90 USD.

·
4,438 Posts
Wow that is the stupidest place to mount it. Im doing this so when the turbo catches the hood on fire ill be able to put it out, not to atract attention
I witnessed a turbo oil line fire - not nice and we got it our barely with our hands (!). I do not want to go through something like that again - ever.

It is only costs you $100 to save a $10,000 car, the investment is worth it.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
bringing this one back from the dead

I'm planning to buy a 2.5 lb. Halotron fire extinguisher to protect my "investment."

Two popular mount options are the Brey-Krause mount that fits underneath the front of the passenger seat OR a roll bar mount.

How much passenger room does the underseat mount take up? I'm going on a 6.5 hour road trip next weekend and don't want my girlfriend to be uncomfortable.

Underseat mount
Pros:
-more hidden from view so passersby less likely to steal it
-easy to reach from the driver's seat
-looks good

Cons:
-impact on passenger comfort
-more likely contact with passenger feet getting in/out might cause damage or unintentional discharge

Rollbar mount
Pros:
-easy mounting to harness bar nestled snugly against rear parcel shelf and leaves plenty of room for driver and passenger shoulder harnesses
-slightly cheaper

Cons:
-More visible = more likely theft
-Further diminishes usefulness of rear parcel shelf

What say you?

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
This is a damn cool solution from Sector111, supplier of Lotus parts.
http://www.sector111.com/products/performance/track_parts/universal_fire_extinguisher_bracket.cfm

It's a mount for under the front passenger seat. Obviously not for Miatas, but the idea is sound. I've wanted to make one for ages. My fire bottle lives in my trunk. :( The FM frame rails make it kind of impossible to drill holes in my floor in front of my seat. At least in the spot I need to drill in. This bracket would be perfect for me.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Option Baller

Safecraft 2.5lb. PB2 Removable Extinguisher System with Billet Bracket $405

Brey-Krause Miata Seat Mount $85

Total = $490

Option Budget

Amerex Halotron 2.5lb. extinguisher with two strap bracket $120

Brey-Krause Miata Seat Mount $85

Total = $205

The Safecraft stuff is very nice and I realize that seconds are critical when your car is on fire but $300 price difference means I'm probably going to go with the budget option.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts