ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-riv...59_21149070_10150614850236759#f362b887e77496ehttp://www.examiner.com/cars-in-riv...59_21149070_10150614850236759#f362b887e77496e

^^^^here is a link to an article i wrote, it was interesting to hear what people have to say. Feel free to reply here, but if you could post your comment or reply to the articles page (link) then it would help me a great deal.

-thanks, babyjesus

content:
With 2012's half-way point well on it's way, Ive been fortunate enough to ACTUALLY get some time to think about decisions I have made and how they will affect my life in the near future. While doing so I got to thinking about an idea that perhaps many if not all "gear heads" have been faced with, "growing up." Specifically when it comes to cars and or bikes. I don't mean "growing up" as in, when is it time to put on a tie and buy a Chevy Astro Van (it's ALWAYS time for that). What im talking about is going out and buying that "for sale" sign. Posting up that old project on Craigslist. Emptying out the old shed of the piles and piles of worthless and random stack of car parts you've been saving for years.
Is there a time when you need to grow up and step out of the game? Are there events that make it necessary to take that step forward and leave a passion behind? Is or should there be an age limit? After having been an enthusiast for so long, is it okay to give up? If and when you do "stop," can you get back in? are there complications with this? what kind of things make you want to stop or perhaps take a break?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

edit:
In all seriousness, when it comes to playing with cars, I know people that are 15 or 16 and just getting into them, and I know people in their 70's still wrenching and tearing stuff apart. I can see myself in another 30 or 40 years in that same boat, with a stack of parts stashed in the shed. I don't think there is an age limit. When it starts to intrude on other things then there is a problem.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Its happened to me in the recent months. I have 5 years of full time post college employment and the only thing I have to show for it is are my miatas. No retirement, no pension, no healthcar, no home... In these 5 years I have pissed away my money on random car parts, new cars when they weren't needed and going out to eat and taking trips when I wanted. When I look back, I see lots of wasted money and years (in the form of moving life forward and planning for the future).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Its happened to me in the recent months. I have 5 years of full time post college employment and the only thing I have to show for it is are my miatas. No retirement, no pension, no healthcar, no home... In these 5 years I have pissed away my money on random car parts, new cars when they weren't needed and going out to eat and taking trips when I wanted. When I look back, I see lots of wasted money and years (in the form of moving life forward and planning for the future).
Sounds like you had a kickass 5 years. I have family members that have saved every penny they have, and have never had any sort of fun. All they do is work, collect a paycheck, and save all of it. They have hardly anything to show for it other than a large number in a bank account. I used to always ask them, "What if you got hit by a bus tomorrow? All of your time and effort to save all that money would be wasted." So I save what I can, but focus on the present, rather than the future, because the future isn't guaranteed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I spend over 10 hours a day behind a desk and 2 monitors, and although i get to create very cool digital imagery, and I do consider it my dream job, nothing beats getting my hands all greasy lying under my cars on the weekends.
I gave a thumbs up to an old guy driving a nicely restored early 70's capri today, he gave me a huge smile and a wave back; you can't get that kinda pride in our fast pace digital world.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^exactly what i'm looking for, thanks guys! keep'em coming and don't forget to post your reply to the articles page (link provided)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I have been battling this tug of war decision for around a year now. I'm out of college, I have a pretty good job, and I'm 26 years old. I'm starting to consider meeting someone and starting a family and the question arises; Will I have room in my new step in life to be wasting money, time, and thoughts on messing with cars. Every day I constantly change my mind between just selling the miata and getting a nice QUIET 4 door car or just throwing all my money at the miata. Everyday on craigslist its usually only 2 different searches, miata and protege. I have been wanting to just just get a protege and call it a day on being a gear head. But, It has been such a huge part of my life for over 10 years now. I know which ever decision I make there will be pros and cons to the situation. So for now, Im not doing anything about it. lol I agree there is no age limit to being a gear head, just depends on when it is feasible in your life to be able to blow money on the hobby.

·
(⌐■_■)
2,422 Posts
I used to always ask them, "What if you got hit by a bus tomorrow? All of your time and effort to save all that money would be wasted." So I save what I can, but focus on the present, rather than the future, because the future isn't guaranteed.
If I remember correctly, cultural theories on poverty suggest that the poor are in a present time orientated ie they live for today instead of tomorrow. Anyway, I'll risk getting hit by a bus if it means that I can actually retire. And if I do get hit by a bus, my future children will have some sort of inheritance.

·
Supporting Member
743 Posts
Been in the position of "taking a break" and coming back into the car scene, I don't think you have to give it all up. I took a break to focus on more important things in my life. I sold my fun cars with the intention of getting back a few years later & I did. Observing my friends from back in the day when we were all "car buddies", a percentage of them gave it up for a time period (as I did), and some have yet to return. They all still have it in their blood, and appreciate cars - just in different ways. They have put that "for sale" sign on their old cars to buy things more practical for their lifestyle, but the enthusiasm hasn't died - just morphed.

I look back on all the hard earned money I spent on parts on my Honda's 10-15 years ago & I have absolutely no regrets. I have memories from those times that can't be replicated, friends that I've made because of our ties with our cars that I'm still really close with. For me, the only way I think I will completely "stop" is when I'm too weak to pick up a wrench or turn the ignition key.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like you had a kickass 5 years. I have family members that have saved every penny they have, and have never had any sort of fun. All they do is work, collect a paycheck, and save all of it. They have hardly anything to show for it other than a large number in a bank account. I used to always ask them, "What if you got hit by a bus tomorrow? All of your time and effort to save all that money would be wasted." So I save what I can, but focus on the present, rather than the future, because the future isn't guaranteed.
It's going to really suck when, like most people, you don't get hit by a bus, and instead end up unable to retire, or have other people support you.

Trust me, I'm not a model of financial wisdom, I waste tons of money on cars and motorcycles, gadgets, beer, etc. But, I also contribute the max that my employer will match towards my 401k. I'm not in any debt other than my auto loan (which will be paid off early), etc.

Also, my guess is those family members have plenty of fun. A lot of people can take being frugal to an extreme, but that doesn't mean you can't have fun and still be financially responsible.

·
Chinchilla Rancher
3,880 Posts
To me being a gear head or someone who likes working on/modifying/racing cars is a lifestyle. It's a lifestyle that has varying degrees of depth in how involved one can get in the lifestyle. Sometimes over time people gravitate to other lifestyles for short or long periods of time and sometimes indefinitely. So I wouldn't say you really "grow up" from it, you just change what your priorities need to be and gravitate to the lifestyle that holds relevance to those priorities.

However I do feel like there can be "growing up" in the car scene as far as what cars a person is interested in and how a person modifies their cars. For instance most kids it seems start out with a junky little Civic or something similar and then they think they need every cheap junk part they can get their hands on so they think they have a "cool" ride. Examples being Vato Zone type parts and having brightly and oddly colored spray painted parts on the car. One can outgrow this as they mature and gain knowledge about how a proper car should be as well as the attitude that goes with it. And their tastes can get more refined as they get older which means they've grown up from their childish ways from when they were younger. This growing up can happen early on or can take a long time depending on the individual.
That's how I would see it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I relate to Rolly here. I'm in the IT field, and, it's what I've gone to school for, and, it's an awesome job, but, a lot of times, I just want to be at home, getting my hands dirty. I'm working on moving out of the house finally (I'm only 19), but, I still have my life project, my old 93 Prelude. I could sell it for 1000 bucks probably right now, but, I also make that much a paycheck, so, in my mind, it doesn't seem like it's in the way. I'll never quit wrenching.

Some members of the car scene do need to grow up. Specifically most Honda kids, and a lot of "drifters" who just endanger other people on public roads.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
As long as your priorities are in order and you have some financial security, I don't think anyone would have to "grow up". But if you're living paycheck to paycheck, putting car parts on credit cards, then paying the minimum on those it's time to reevaluate your situation and probably "grow up".

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
As long as your priorities are in order and you have some financial security, I don't think anyone would have to "grow up". But if you're living paycheck to paycheck, putting car parts on credit cards, then paying the minimum on those it's time to reevaluate your situation and probably "grow up".
I did this when I was young with my camaro.. Spent every dime on it.. had about 10k invested in the car. I totaled it and the insurance company gave me 5k for it.. This definitely made me feel like I needed to grow up.. It was a pretty horrible feeling knowing i just blew 10k with no return

·
Registered
396 Posts
growing up is not the end all solution to the problems of your current happenstance. many people have grown up and hate it. who loves the idea of going from greasy hands, bruised knuckles, and late nights in the garage to driving an automatic caravan, complaining about the not so free market, and giving up their dreams? growing up will play it's role in helping you rationalize and prioritize whats important, but it doesn't mean you have to give up all that is your life and, for the lack of a better word, die.

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
When you start using the phrase "wasted money" when describing your car without smiling a bit...it's time to get out.

·
··
4,227 Posts
I have a little over 5 grand into my truck including the purchase price of $2,500.
Some days I'm like dang I could have a really nice Miata or save for college... Or heck, move out.
But when I get in and fire her up I love it and I feel like I have something worthwhile and I can depend on it.
I'm 19 and it hasn't really hit me yet that I need to move on and I hope it never does.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I understand peeoples financial situations and what not. But seriously, what else are you going to spend your money on? Saving for retirement, and just money to have on hand at all time is an incredibly smart thing to do. But that doesnt mean you shouldnt spend on your passion. Go get drunk at the club and spend $200. Doing this weekly or so. Or spend the money on something you take passion in and can justify the money spent rather than wasted on paying to party. Given you do need an 18 pack for the weekends :)

Not worried so much about social presentation. By the time im 60 the miata will be like a blown 69 camaro as it is to me today. So I wont have to worry about looking like a goofy old man in a tuner car. Im sure all the tuners by then will be flying around lol I hope we will still have gas then :(

My concern will be physical dissability, Im doiing everything I can now and as I get older to stay in top shape. Hoever Im worried that arthritis or something may get the best of me and make it hard to keep wrenching as I do now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts