ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people great site,
Just looking for some advise, have a stock miata with the L-slip diff (m edition) any suggestions for auto cross, it has toyo tires suggested tire pressure? Seems as tho the rear shocks might be on the way out that will have to wait... Anyway I have only had the car a couple of weeks and havent got to push it as hard as I want yet, course shes seen 100 and been sideways a few times but I dont have any good corners around here or parking lots for that matter but watching some videos when people are autocrossing them it seems to me that stock miatas tend to understeer at low speeds sound right? I would think adjusting tire pressure could help?
Anyway any input would be much preciated...

#-o

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Where are you located?
Which Toyo tires?
If you're talking Toyo street tires like T1-R or T1-S I would suggest 40-45psi hot depending on ambient temperature. The proper cold temperature will vary depending on ambient temperature and how well you're able to get your tires up to optimal operating temperature given short duration of average auto-x run. Most people talk hot tire pressures when talking racing because when you're making adjustments most often you're doing them after the tires already have some heat in them.

Basically you want to run higher pressure for improved lateral stiffness so you don't ride on the sidewalls during aggressive cornering because sidewalls are not provide good grip. If its really cold you might be willing to drop the pressures a little bit and trade off some lateral stiffness for improved traction.

Either way I wouldn't worry about tire pressures too much. It's your 1st auto-x, Go have fun! Enjoy it but don't spend too much time working on the car. Instead, concentrate on learning the course and having a good time. I've autocrossed my car numerous times on street tires at 26 psi because I was just too damn lazy to change it and I still had fun. For now focus on optimizing the driver. Once you're able to drive the wheels off a stock Miata then think about what mods to make to go even faster.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good I have 32 psi in them now ao you think I should go up eh? I down here in ole' North Cacolaki (NC) I consider myself a good driver but figuring out the course and how far the right front is from the cones might prove a big challenge. Anyway my freind has a stock vette 93' 6 speed and has been running auto-X for the past year (which I got him into) I want to go into the first one and beat him. How do you think a stock miata will compare? :?:
So up the pressure you say.... Will do...
thankyou for the advise..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts