ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I started the process of replacing the water pump, seals and of course the Timing Belt. Tim's super clean engine inspired me a little to start on this this weekend even though I do not yet have all the parts to complete the job. It's pretty gunky in there :shock: next step is to start cleaning it!

Few Pictures here

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
ha ha HA! I've created a monster!!

Have you checked out my timing belt write up?

It's somewhere on here...

·
Registered
459 Posts
this is perfect, i know there's a handful of write ups available for this maintenance...i plan on doing this for my '90 for the first time too

gathering more info is great--keep us all posted and share your insights

thx,
geoff

·
CR.net Supporter
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you checked out my timing belt write up?
you mean the "write up" I saw shortly after your GAP trip? You know where you are swearing up a storm?! :lol:
I did see your other TB write-up and have that as well as Keith's book and the m.net write-up.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stubborn Cam Pulley Bolt

I am at my wits end, the intake side cam pulley bolt will not budge.

I am in the middle of a timing belt & water pump replacement, I have the two wrenches on the flats of the cams clamped together. That worked fine for the exhaust side but when I try to loosen the other bolt, the force of the cams turning moves the wrench off the flat of the cam. I have tried to use ratchet straps on the wrenches to keep them from moving to no avail.

Any thoughts?
I really wanted to replace the cam seals as part of this job. I do not have an impact wrench. I even tried to get some PB Blaster in there last night. :evil:

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
call a friend, to push the wrench clockwise while you try to unscrew the bolt counterclockwise.

I spectated a timing belt/waterpump install this past weekend, thats what they had to resort to on that very same bolt that gave them trouble.

You might as well get used to the idea of having to realign the cams when youre done. At least there is only one way you can put the gears back on ;)

·
CR.net Supporter
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a gang of roadster buddies coming over saturday for the final phase of the job. So we'll get it done, just frustrating that is was relatively painless up till this point. Just one bolt keeping me from finishing the tear down and clean up prior to install of the new parts.

·
Registered
339 Posts
congrats

I finished up the same task a couple days ago and it won't start lol, the belt is all lined up fine and everything but it just won't start

·
Registered
339 Posts
yes
yes
yes

believe me I've tried every simple thing I could think of other than taking it all back apart

1 - 14 of 14 Posts