ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the first job I have on my new roadster is replacing the leaking battery and shoddy battery tray....

I can pick up a motorbike/motorsprt battery for cheaper than the Mazda replacement, so I'm thinking about getting the lighter battery and fabricating a tray.

my question is, is it just a straight swap......old battery and tray out , new battery and tray in?

edit: Battery is an odyssey 545 12v 13Ah 545CCA

·
Hardparker Extraordinaire
3,388 Posts
Depends if it has the normal terminal or not....i know the pc680 is the more common odyssey battery that's around 120 shipped.

If you want really trick a couple companies make lithium iron(LiFe) batteries that are tiny and weigh nothing(like 3-4lbs for a battery to reliably work/start a dd) but they start at 175 and go up from there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate......the 545 has bolts (10mm by the looks of it) that go on so I should only need to crimp the cables

The 545 is coming in at £80($110?) with a weight of 5.1kgs

Was just double checking i didn't need any extra equipment to run a bike battery

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Already ordered a new bracket that should be easy to adjust and have some aluminium ready to fab a new tray......... will stick a pic up when my battery arrives , should be here Wednesday or thursday

·
Registered
32 Posts
The stock tray has round depressions that index with the trunk- I think the easiest approach is to use the stock tray and make some kind of reducer. The main thing if you are making a new battery hold down and tray is to keep it from being able to slide around and then providing some clamping force to hold it down. For the hold down I used a small piece of aluminum angle and some turn buckles. My battery + tray + hold down hardware came out to 3.2lb.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts