ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried fitting my AutoExe Tower Brace this morning and it sits nicely on one side, perfectly against the bulkhead, but the left side doesn’t sit correctly to the point I can’t get a bolt to thread and tighten down.

I’ve taken it off and reseated it a few times but always the same result. Am I getting this wrong?

The car is a 2011, the order is for 09-12 cars, so where am I going wrong. Pics below

Right side

Bulkhead

Left side

Any clues before I chase back up through my point of purchase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve put it on a flat surface and it doesn’t appear bent. But because it is inherently an angled piece it’s very hard to spot what’s wrong.

I’d say it’s unlikely to be the car as to have a front end that bent that it’d move 5mm out of whack across a 70mm width would be a far bigger issue. The car also shows no sign of crash repair, all panel stickers and paint is as it left the factory.

I’m tempted to agree that it’s a manufacturing thing and will drop Rev9 a mail in the morning.

Few more pics for reference

Pinky finger fits under one side with no shoving it in, other side of this mount is flush

Against the OEM piece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
828 Posts
Does it have any flex to it? Even if it has a little, try pulling outside and pressing down.

What happens when you fit the left side first?

Also on the left side where your finger fits - is it touching the body on the other side of that ring?

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I'd honestly just thread all of the bolts and nuts on, then hit that baby with an impact. Just lift the car if possible on four points so that the preload is off the suspension and the chassis is "relaxed".
This. I was thinking about it today and recalled more than one vehicle that I have put on a front strut brace and had to jack the front up to get it on.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
In fact with the nut off the shock mount, shouldnt you be able to move the stud around?

There's nothing wrong with either your car or this brace, it's just a tolerancing issue and you should be able to get it mounted by wiggling and moving things around. If it is fully seated on one side, back it off and walk it onto the studs 1-2mm at a time. Use a pry bar.

There would be no issue drilling out the mounting holes in the brace a little larger either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts