ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(new thread title, inspired by my friend yelling at a slammed EK hatch on the freeway a few lanes over)

put off on making a build thread basically because i didn't feel worthy when i saw threads like Slevin's and Quinn's, but then i felt like i should document this somewhere that's actually public

anyway yup, picked up a black&tan back in late july. first car too, so most likely keeping it for a long while.

(^ during a semi-impromptu roadtrip to San Diego this past saturday) (cred.)

(photoshoot with friends and their DSLRs in SD) (cred.)

car came with:

• 211k miles
  • AC/power windows/ABS/cruise control all that good stuff
  • random springs on Tokico HP shocks
  • Goodridge stainless steel brake lines
  • Racing Beat intake
super clean though overall. engine runs strong still, all the luxuries work well, etc

since then, got a Jackson header, T3 test pipe, and got the shift bushings and boots replaced from Rosenthal, and swapped my tan leather seats with my friend's foamectamy'd black cloths (switching back soon though, i miss lower back support)

for now though, just have to:

• about/past due for trans/diff change
  • momo(?) steering wheel. maybe a quick release setup
  • also faintly kicking around the idea of removing power steering and HVAC. same with swapping out tan interior, cruise control, and power windows.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
re: bb migayta: project black&tan

Great start
thanks!

no major updates since. finally got around to changing oil. car started leaking coolant a week or so ago and has been overheating progressively worse and worse. after tonight though, parking the car full-time till i get water pump replaced.

anyway, took off the plastic undertray/splash guard and from looking at old threads, it seems to be the water pump, since the coolant's coming down directly behind the pulleys/belts when looking at from underneath. so, ordered a new water pump and also a timing belt kit (both from 949) since it's recommended to get them done together.

also, since i feel the need to overcompensate for this, up next are more maintenance catch-up/slightly minor upgrade things including: 1.3bar radiator cap, thermostat replacement, coolant flush, radiator cooling panel, and probably this cursed water plug thing too. also gonna run something like 65/35 water-coolant mix when i hopefully get everything sorted out.

and now possibly chronologically incorrect pictures regarding said coolant issue, all taken within the last week or so (note: i'm not as cool as my friends so i don't have a DSLR, but rather a 4th gen iTouch)

(^ removing all the screws from one side did result in some panic flailing for a second when undertray fell down onto my face)

given my inexperience with being in a car when it breaks down (and without going into embarrassing details), left headlights on the whole time i was on the shoulder, unknowingly drained the battery (to the point where trying to crank made one headlight cover turn down in a winking manner), friend finally came through, managed to get it bump-started (since no one really stopped to help when there was a problem and tow trucks are pricey!) and from there, made it home with no further issues. parking for good till i get the new water pump in

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

cat converter and unbroken turn signal in. water pump, timing belt, (basically entire m.net t-belt garage recommend list) also done.

weird whirring noise when i accelerate now and also it feels like no power when accelerating from a stop. i'll have the gas pedal all the way to the floor but the car goes as if i'm really light on it. gonna go back to the shop and see what's up with those.

then, going to try and get dings fixed and also the cooling parts mentioned above. pictures coming later.

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts

The timing belt is tensioned incorrectly (the whir) and whoever did the belt probably fucked up the cam alignment retarding the timing. Easy mistake to make.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The timing belt is tensioned incorrectly (the whir) and whoever did the belt probably fucked up the cam alignment retarding the timing. Easy mistake to make.
i'll keep that in mind when i take it back to the shop that did the job. thanks!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

quick update. shop loosened the timing belt and said it would go away in ~500 miles. it's been 800-1000+, and it's not whirring as much, but i still notice it sometimes/occasionally? car still has no power when i'm easing from a stop. i also found out the clutch master and slave cylinders are leaking, so just ordered them new from 949. open question though: is an extended clutch line (also from 949) worth getting?

in the meantime, i've been gathering up parts that are waiting to go on including: GV style lip, Project-G G-Wing hardtop spoiler, FM frame rails, GV radiator cooling panel, and a mostly complete greddy turbo kit. all the parts for the kit are there, but for it to run optimally, i'm on the lookout for an MSPNP2 and a better downpipe, and eventually a better manifold too. because the car has so many miles, need to run a compression test before installing anything, so hopefully that goes well.

also got my tan leather seats back from my friend, who has his black cloth seats back now...feels weird sitting so high again. also making it more of a priority to replace bolts i think look ready to break.

no pictures for now (or from the last update) because i can't seem to be bothered to plug in my iPod to my slow as fork computer.

·
CSTG
3,229 Posts

Do the timing belt job yourself, something sounds very wrong.

Check that they even set timing after installing the timing belt by adjusting the CAS with a timing light. I'd still remove the valve cover, turn the crank until cylinder #1 is at TDC. With the valve cover off, you can see this when the #1 cam lobes are at the 9 o'clock position (intake) and 3 o'clock position (exhaust), basically facing away from each other. Once at TDC, verify timing is correct, post a few pictures and we'll let you know.

Do nothing with the car until this is done, you could be damaging the engine by driving it like this.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Sweet start. Turbo should be fun.. Extended clutch line is worth it.
that's what i'm hoping for, and i'll probably get the clutch line then

Do the timing belt job yourself, something sounds very wrong.

Check that they even set timing after installing the timing belt by adjusting the CAS with a timing light. I'd still remove the valve cover, turn the crank until cylinder #1 is at TDC. With the valve cover off, you can see this when the #1 cam lobes are at the 9 o'clock position (intake) and 3 o'clock position (exhaust), basically facing away from each other. Once at TDC, verify timing is correct, post a few pictures and we'll let you know.

Do nothing with the car until this is done, you could be damaging the engine by driving it like this.
and now i'm super worried, haha. i would've tried to get it done myself, but reading something about how doing it wrong could lead to messing up the engine intimidated me too much...

i'll make sure to do that though and check back here. thanks man.

·
CSTG
3,229 Posts

They're non-interference engines. If the timing is way off, the valves won't hit the pistons. But poor timing is just like turbo charging a car without installing an aftermarket ECU. It'll end poorly. Especially with how poorly it sounds like they timed it.

Check with the timing light first. If it gets rid of 100% of your symptoms, consider yourself lucky and never go back to that shop.

If it's still present or wasn't that far off to begin with (within 4 and 24 degrees I'd say [stock is 10]), start taking off the valve cover.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

just a quick update

so..i fucked up slightly. i haven't adjusted the timing yet bc for some reason this makes me really nervous. i did get a timing light from autozone.

in the meantime, i tried to change the transmission fluid, but the pump i got (also from autozone) fell apart and maybe a fraction of a quart of the new fluid is in.

i got some vinyl tubing from home depot to try and get it in from above, but then i found that the exhaust is in the way. now i'm trying to decide whether to remove the header or try my luck with another pump.

·
CSTG
3,229 Posts

CHECK THE TIMING.

The pumps suck. Remove the header, it's the best way to get as much fluid in as possible. I'm pretty sure there's ~1/4qt of fluid left in the pump once you're done with it.

CHECK THE TIMING.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

CHECK THE TIMING.

The pumps suck. Remove the header, it's the best way to get as much fluid in as possible. I'm pretty sure there's ~1/4qt of fluid left in the pump once you're done with it.

CHECK THE TIMING.
HAHA, i will check/fix the timing! i'm just trying to work up the nerve to try it. i haven't been driving it at least. just would rather not even try to turn the engine over now till after new transmission fluid is in.

and i guess i'm removing the header then. would've been nice to read something warning about using a pump beforehand (looking at you m.net garage)

·
Supporting Mamber
3,672 Posts

Don't remove the manifold just to pump fluid in the trans. That's a huge waste of time. Go to harbor freight and get their transfer pump (it's red) for 4.99. I use that for my car and works great.

·
CSTG
3,229 Posts

That's the same one autozone sells. It sucks.

Throw a hose down there, have someone hold it in, and cut only a little bit off the tip of one of the bottles, and jam it in the hose. You do need two people, but you'll waste a lot less fluid.

·
Supporting Mamber
3,672 Posts

If by "sucks" you mean has worked perfect for over 4 years then yes, it "sucks".

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

nope, the one i got from autozone was white. i'll give the harbor freight one a shot if they're really not prone to falling apart. mostly bc i'm really not that keen on taking out the header. and it's cheaper than autozone's.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

ok, long overdue update time. long stories shortened as follow:

important:
timing still off because no nerve to try myself still (bad idea and risky and stuff, i know.)
trying to get it done at the shop my friend works at hopefully next week (along with diff fluid)

bad:
overheating still. mostly when sitting/idling for a bit (stop and go freeway traffic) (also while waiting in the drive-thru). iirc, one of the fans (driver's side i think) was moving slowly.

good:
new transmission fluid in (the harbor freight fluid pump did work, but broke halfway through and had to exchange for a second one)

new clutch master and slave cylinders went in, along with the extended clutch line

new duralast OEM type thermostat+gasket from autozone in
(new one had bigger+smaller hole, compared to the old single hole piece that was in there before)
(did help with overheating. temp gauge stayed in the middle in traffic on the way home)
(still start to overheat in drive-thru though)

recent:
driving around tonight, after crossing a green-just-turned-yellow light, car suddenly sounds like open header. pull into gas station at the next corner, one of the cat converter gaskets is loose (half of it is hanging toward the ground). i guess one of the nuts fell off?

considering the pros and cons of having it welded to the header now

also:

i got a polished voodoo shift knob

and also a pink bubble "dildo" shift knob shortly after (don't judge) which i'm stuck with, because the seller said it would screw straight in when i asked if there was an adapter screw.

guess i put it in a bit to tight because the shift knob came out when i went to switch back to the voodoo, but the adapter stayed on the shifter, tight enough to where i can't unscrew by hand. (it was then that i noticed the 12x1.25 at the base of the bubble shift knob. great. haha.

i decided that there are better investments than a turbo kit
(which i have up for sale now) (someone please buy it)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: bb migayta: project black&tan

took the car to zerek fab today, new driver side cooling fan went in and overheating issues are fixed now. and what better way to test that than bumper-to-bumper traffic trying to get to the freeway in 102* weather!?

also, it turns out that after the first shop did the timing belt, not only was the timing off by quite a bit, but the belt itself is off by a tooth (among a couple other things that could've been done) (upside-down trigger wheel). stuff was tinkered with and now idle is a bit rougher. maybe it's just a placebo-esque effect, but along with the rougher idle, power at low RPMs feels a bit closer to how it was before. hopefully getting all this sorted out next week (seriously, this time)

(i lag horribly with getting things fixed, i know.)

1 - 20 of 82 Posts