ClubRoadster.net banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
finally, the slippery slope of P R O G R E S S ! aka **** didn't hit the fan

quick rundown of the past 6+ months:

this was a pain in the ass but i finally passed.

tireslayer, bro. hoonigan, bro.

shoutout to friends for loaning me what i later found out was a reallyfuckingjdm spare to roll around on. got a free, kinda usable tire as a desperation replacement. then i quit being lame.

picked up a pair of 195/60 azenis from a friend for a good price. got them mounted and h o l y s h i t. even with only the front pair, these things **** on my old (technically still current) ziex's. picked up another pair from america's tire and having them mounted hopefully soon.

then i got a magnaflow catback. my friend had it on w/o the tip on a cut rear bumper and pretty much wanted to put it back to stock and sell it, so we put on my car to get the tip welded back on straight. the exhaust started kind of really growing on me so i ended up buying it from him.

hard dog hardcore double diagonal that seems to fit under a hardtop. massive thanks to my friend for helping with the install, only took a few hours to get everything done, but had to backpedal a couple times because we forgot to put the seatbelt reels back in before bolting in the bar.

impressions: i reaaaally kind of like this. mainly, no more guaranteed death if i flip. there's also alot less hardtop flex when i take driveways at more of an angle than i need to at stock height. after a couple weeks, i'm getting used to seeing diagonals in the rearview, but i also miss being able to just glance over my shoulders when switching lanes. definitely ordering some padding for it pretty soon too.

didn't waste alot of time before using it (not actually putting it to use). a few of my friends were going to streets of willow for vtec club yesterday, so a few more from our group signed up for the extreme speed event too.

first time driving on a track period, and i gotta say it was pretty fun overall. first couple sessions out on my own, i was super nervous about other cars that were coming up behind me, and i almost spun a few times at turn 11 (hard left) but saved it and stayed on-track. thanks, drifting. got more comfortable with the track as well as more confident as the day went on and ended up with a best of 1:51.9. definitely alot of fun and can't wait for our next group outing.

the plan now is to get the other two azenis mounted, order brakes and rollbar padding, and make the interior look a little more complete again. i picked up the carpet for the parcel shelf awhile ago and want to make it look as neat with the rollbar as i can. that and i kind of want to try trimming the side trim pieces by the back of the door to fit with the main hoop.

there's a couple other things i maybe want to do/get this year (massive amount of chagrin here), but before that i'll probably start attacking (or have shops attack, admittedly tired of trying to maneuver under a car) all the little things mechanically wrong: small vacuum leak on start-up, leaking ps fluid, leaking oil (maybe an issue with the oil drain plug thread, but that's another story), and burning oil. i think i want to get the block rebuilt this year or next or something.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
still alive, still at stock height. the motor went around new year's, had a resealed JDM 1.6 swapped in (thanks Arik) along with some minor upgrades: koyo radiator, OEM clutch/10lb flywheel, depowered rack, etc. 500 miles and it's been good so far.

i'm still chasing a small misfire though, and need to double check that the front wheel bearing's what's causing the right-front noise over bumps....and it still does need an alignment, but it's alive and driving. which is worlds better than how it was last year.

here's a picture of the motor currently since i don't really take pictures of the car anymore

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Nice of you to drop by Steve! ;) Glad to see an update as well. So you like the depowered rack? :dunno: You ever get the Garage Star fender braces installed?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
needs mo low and needs mo wheels and less misfire
you right. i still need to finish getting everything for the bilsteins. still.

we all dead, guy
****. that was heavy but you're right too

Nice of you to drop by Steve! ;) Glad to see an update as well. So you like the depowered rack? :dunno: You ever get the Garage Star fender braces installed?
i haven't unfortunately, it's just been sitting around. i just haven't had that much motivation lately. i'm starting to get used to the depowered rack but it's still a pain at under 5mph.

it feels good otherwise, but since the current misalignment makes the car feel super floaty on sharp onramps etc, i can't really say forsure

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
what... motivation??

i finally took a day recently to knockout a few little things i've been meaning to get to. the RF clanking noise that's been bugging me forever now ended up being a loose swaybar endlink hitting the control arm...and i also found out the LF endlink connector piece actually backed off and fell out at some point. that one probably has to do with forgetting to tighten the nuts that hold that in place the first time. luckily i had spare lying around so i threw that on and made sure it was tight.

at the same time i FINALLY got around to wiping down the LF suspension. the control arms, shock, etc. have been caked in so much debris from the old power steering leak for too long now. i also swapped out my rear wheels for another pair of stocks i had onhand since those tires were pretty bald, checked tire pressure, and re-tightened the front tow hook bolts for good measure. i'm hoping to get a matching RyokuRob rear tow hook in the near future to match the front.

after the endlink situation though, i was actually surprised that the steering with the depowered rack was noticeably easier. up until then i wasn't sure if the toughness/binding feel was really just how depowered racks were by nature or if there was something up with my specific one since i bought mine like that (and i had read something somewhere at some point about some kind of adjustment on them? or something). now steering under 10mph feels just heavy enough that i wish i had power steering again but still feels totally reasonable now. at higher speeds i would actually say it feels great now. but ofc, that's probably boosted by how crappy it actually ended up being before.

shortly after i got a proper alignment at my friend's shop, so now my toe's not fucked up anymore. it's really nice to not have to keep a light deathgrip on the wheel when i'm driving in any kind of corner. or above 40. or anywhere for that matter.

the next plan is to try and change out the RF wheel bearing this weekend since i'm thinking now that that's what the whirring-type noise coming from that corner is, since i hear it more in left turns, but less/not at all in right ones. i wanted to get extended wheel studs soon too but the necessity and cost and timing and all that kind of ruins that idea. definitely in the future though.

since i've been slacking for a long while, i need to get back into taking pictures of this thing more often. so here's one from the other week.

·
CSTG
3,229 Posts
Check your tie rods at full lock, I think they'll hit that endlink bolt. Not sure if it'll happen when suspension is under load though.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Check your tie rods at full lock, I think they'll hit that endlink bolt. Not sure if it'll happen when suspension is under load though.
i'm pretty content with how the steering feels now but i'll check that out this weekend with the wheel hub just to be safe, thanks!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
small updates time

i replaced the front wheel bearing last weekend and i haven't heard the whirring noise since. i also didn't feel like dealing with the dust cap so hammered the hell out of it and pried it out once i broke a hole through it. it went by much faster than last time.

i also busted a mission today and drove out to LA after work to pick up some tires. specifically a pair of still almost new 195/50 RE71R's. gonna buy the second pair new within the next month or so but it'll be nice to roll around on nice tires all around for once. up until now i've only had azenis (front pair only) and some RS-RR's (purchased from a friend with 2 track days on them).

Man. A lot to catch up for me since the last time I checked this one. Glad you got your timing sorted out & insurance didn't total it! Looking nice dude.
thanks man! nothing major has really happened in the last big gap between posts but i'm hoping i can make something happen this year. there's a couple things that should be taken care of for the exterior but i'm just happy that it's driving ok right now.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
so right after my last post, i did an early (~2500mi) oil change and drove up to santa barbara area for a wedding.

no issues there or back, which is always a relief. here's a picture from the drive back. LA traffic still sucks. i almost got merged into at least three times.

and last week...ha ha..yeah

this mismatch* was just a passing thought that i brought up last week or so and my friend actually thought about it and was super into it. it's been growing on me alot, except for how staggered they are (f: 6.5j +32, r: 7j +25)

*i have a full set of each, but i need tires for the rest of the advans and the rest of the equips need to be reassembled, so might as well have those refinished at the same time

hoping to get coilovers soon and have all the control arm bushings done not long after.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
41 - 60 of 81 Posts