ClubRoadster.net banner
61 - 80 of 107 Posts
Discussion starter · #62 ·
(reaaaally bad text-to-picture ratio since i've had nothing to take pictures with until a couple days ago)

so i ended up with godspeed coilovers. i was about to just start saving up for xidas but these were a good price through a friend of a friend. a friend and i put them on at the shop space he helps out at. it was straightforward. there was long both method involved. a decision was made to put the coils on at the height they were packaged at. and the racing beat intake does in fact clear the dampening adjuster despite what we were afraid of for a few minutes.

i did underestimate how much the height would settle though, so the next day i found myself tucking a finger's worth of rear tire and it was still kind of cool, except for the camber/sunkenness. and the having to slow down for bad bumps/potholes/railroad crossings part.

definitely plan to raise it a little in the near future then get it aligned and the rear quarters rolled, then i can start playing around with different size wheels. as for the coilovers themselves, i set the dampening to 5 clicks towards full soft (out of an advertised 40-ways of adjustment) and they definitely ride more firm, it falls under tolerable for me, except on sharper bumps, then it's mildly jarring. probably gonna try going a couple clicks softer after raising it. but so far, no terrible complaints overall.

the rough idle on start up is still present, so i also took the car to the guy who did the motor swap recently. testing out his spare AFM, CAS, IACV, throttle body, all that, and no improvement. so now i try and track down a B6AW ECU to try out just to rule it out as a problem, which is apparently specific to '93 California cars or something and therefore pretty uncommon. ****.

it ALSO turns out the belt tends to lose tension after it's first installed. dude tightened it up again there's been zero squealing at low RPM's since and the steering feel lightened up even more by a noticeable amount to what i hope (for the third time) is what's considered normal for depowered. it's actually almost pretty light, but at this point i'm probably just used to much worse.

besides that, i've also: bought some Achilles 651's in 195/50 for the super advans, am most likely gonna post up for sale the previously mounted RE71R's that are probably a few tiers too high for me, picked up a Works Bell 20mm steering wheel spacer from MiataRoadster, installed that along with a WB short hub while i bide my time on a quick release, and switched to an OEM JDM Roadster steering wheel at the same time.

poly control arm bushings are postponed because thanks to youtube, i found out about the SADFab bronze kit and its longish waitlist).

here's the car as it sits currently though, parked just hard enough to leave only in gear with the hood up lmfao. this was during a last minute mountain cruise with a couple friends, it was nice change from and definitely twistier than my usual go-to place, but i'm pretty sure i cooked the autozone pads on the way down. may consider better non-race pads soon but the current ones still work well enough just driving around so we'll see.

i'll try and remember to get pictures of more of the stuff mentioned here haha.

Discussion starter · #64 ·
neat but outdated update

aaand currently. thanks bo!

i want to go back to the mismatch for the time being bc 15's are less worrisome to drive on. but i do want to go about a half inch lower to get rid of the current gap.

follow for more 1-star content
Honestly, I give this thread far more credit than that. You fixed stuff, went to the track, and actually drove the car. Just the fact that you didn't go and camber the crap out of the car/scrape the undercarriage to rusty hell, add a 2' long exhaust tip, cover the damage with bandaid stickers, etc (like all the other kids with their first car) makes this thread a winner in my book. All respectable content, no poser stuff.

Discussion starter · #71 ·
thanks everyone!

Honestly, I give this thread far more credit than that. You fixed stuff, went to the track, and actually drove the car. Just the fact that you didn't go and camber the crap out of the car/scrape the undercarriage to rusty hell, add a 2' long exhaust tip, cover the damage with bandaid stickers, etc (like all the other kids with their first car) makes this thread a winner in my book. All respectable content, no poser stuff.
these are all valid points. at that time though, i was still in-between jobs and was coming back from just having been rear-ended. it was just kind of discouraging in the moment to notice the thread rating on top of all that.

alot of the overall work was done by a garage mechanic who does repair and mod stuff on the side, i still haven't planned a second track day, and the underside of the car iiiisn't the prettiest.

and about the 2ft exhaust tip..

HKS windmaster:mrgreen:
i took it off after a couple days for 2 main reasons, it was scraping too much for my liking and also the new AB1824 law regarding exhausts that just went into effect. i went back to stock for the foreseeable future. no cool exhaust is worth risking a state ref and a 4 digit fine.

HKS windmaster:mrgreen:
i took it off after a couple days for 2 main reasons, it was scraping too much for my liking and also the new AB1824 law regarding exhausts that just went into effect. i went back to stock for the foreseeable future. no cool exhaust is worth risking a state ref and a 4 digit fine.
Freakin Nazifornia! They really hate car enthusiasts don't they....:evil:

Rated ***** because wheels <3
Rated **** for the same reason except I had some Hateraid.:smile1::haiguyths: Don't let such little things discourage you Steve. Everyone's circumstances/finances/obligations are different and change so just keep doing like you are, build is coming along great!:icon_cheers:

Discussion starter · #75 ·
Rated ***** because wheels <3
dope car man!
thanks guys!

Freakin Nazifornia! They really hate car enthusiasts don't they....:evil:

Rated **** for the same reason except I had some Hateraid.:smile1::haiguyths: Don't let such little things discourage you Steve. Everyone's circumstances/finances/obligations are different and change so just keep doing like you are, build is coming along great!:icon_cheers:
i wouldn't go that far haha, i think it got support just from all the takeover stuff that really took off last year.

i haven't examined the actual bill itself but word that i've been hearing shifted more towards it just not being a fix-it anymore and the original ruling on what's too loud (dB limit) still remaining. no clear word still on how bad the fine'll be but eh, we'll see.

Discussion starter · #76 ·
took part in kinod's droptop showdown at grange motor circuit (aka apple valley speedway now), which was really just a small, no-pressure grip/drift track day.

i put myself down for both but hadn't tried drifting in months prior to this, and what i had done was limited to ccw circles on an open skidpad. so i used it as an excuse to start up again. there was alot of spinning and going off, and slow/late entries, but i managed to link the stray s-turn throughout the day.

**** was too exciting. and really dusty. i really want to do it again soon. but like with a bucket seat next time.

(thanks Jon B for the pictures)

Discussion starter · #78 ·
not a whole lot has happened since the last post. battery died on 4th of july. at home thankfully. my friend also rolled the rear fenders(thanks juicy garage) plus picked up an old gen bride artis, fits me somewhat better than my old buddy club but still sits too far left a little, which sucks but meh.

rollbar's probably coming out now since for whatever reason, the harness bar on my current hard dog just seems too narrow to wrap the left harness around properly. plus the padding around the main hoop always interfered with the hardtop seating. double meh. zerekfab might be the replacement but who knows rn. definitely interested in their RUCA's though.

besides all that, sadfab hit me back and i'm finally up next for a poly-bronze bushing kit after being on the waitlist for almost exactly a year. that's nuts for me to consider but i'm still looking forward to receiving the kit and getting them installed (eventually. lol)

here's some pictures to help keep things current

new wipers and headlight shroud coming soon lol

Discussion starter · #79 ·
still stagnant. did kinod day 2 right before christmas though, which was fun. i opted not to bring any extra tires this time, so i did grip sessions at 45psi knowing i'd be slide out everytime. kind of worth it. i also think i need new axles now. sick.

i've also been helping my friend with getting his car back on the road, so that's been fun on its own, i'm hoping this kickstarts motivation for me at some point.

this car was purchased, overheated, sat for some years, started to get parted out, and is mostly put back together as of now. it needs some work still. some engine seals, calipers, and...the bodykit.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts