ClubRoadster.net banner

Flaming Miata on Deals Gap (US129 aka The Dragon)

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  100percentjake 
#1 · (Edited)
First lil' lick of fire pops out at 7:46. She does it 7 more times over the next 2 and a half minutes from there.

So, if you run a Miata hard enough, long enough, it can spit fire. Conditions are a 180k '97 with a '96 ECU (I think this is a big part of it), DDM Works intake, Roadster Sport 3 CAT-back exhaust, and the rear O2 sensor spaced partially out of the exhaust stream with a modified sprakplug anti-fouler. All other engine related mechanicals are stock. Reason for why I think the ECU is a big part of it is that after installing the '96 ECU (to alleviate a logic fault in the '97 ECU causing a false misfire code to trigger at partial throttle in the upper RPM band), I started to notice more popping coming from the exhaust on decel. So, I can only guess that the '96 ECUs have less fuel cut on the decel.

#4 ·
Odd, it was working on my computer when I posted it? I think? I used the youtube tags. Guess I should just use url tags for videos on CR for now on?

The O2 thing is a drilled out spark plug anti fouler to space the O2 sensor out of the exhaust stream to trick it into reading less so it doesn't throw an annoying rear O2 sensor code (yay, the "joys" of OBDII). It really shouldn't have an effect on how the car runs since the rear O2 sensor is just there to tell the ECU if the engine is burning clean enough to save the rainbow unicorns. But I included it in my description just not to leave out anything that makes my car's engine different from a stock one.

More like S2000 following, not chasing. I only heard VTEC like 3 times there!
Guilty. He was doing me the favor of getting a video of my car. But hey, saying chasing is more interesting than saying following?

I can give some reasonable excuses, but that's what they are at the end of the day. I'm the only real factor holding my car back from being faster there.

Every time (all 2 times) I get back from Deals Gap I'm ready to go right back within a week or 2.

#7 ·
Pretty common especially with the 1.6 cars (from what I've seen) especially if you are jumping off throttle from WOT situation very suddenly. The stock ecu is just a smidge slow to react and stop dumping fuel. Unburnt fuel travels down the scalding exhaust and ignites once it reaches open oxygen.

#9 ·
mine popped and spit on decel, 1.6 with header/hi-flow cat/buddy club spec 2. i miss it sometimes but my current daily does the same thing.

i've had a boner for an evo-swapped mirage for a while and some of the later cars (V - IX?) came with ALS from the factory, disabled through ECU settings. pops and fireballs are cool, but even cooler when they're doing something functional like keeping your turbo spooled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.