ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I get my lighting sorted out my next project is going to be building a flat belly pan. I want to put a tunnel in but I don't know if I have enough ground clearance, so I'll wait and see.

Has anybody done this before? Pics?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose you need a vented hood to keep the engine temps in check. Well thats good to know.

3uno5: That was my first thought as well.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From what ive read its bad to let air through the underbody. You want as much of a low pressure zone as possible. I wonder though if you sealed the underbody (to keep the pressure differential) and let engine bay air through the trans tunnel and out the back bumper? The back is in vacuum anyway, might help to draw the air through?

From what I have seen at Laguna Seca most race cars have some sort of way of sealing the nose to the front of the radiator and the back of the radiator to the hood.

I wonder how much airflow the trans or exhaust need?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took a good look at the car today, this is going to be a pain in the ass.

Some problems I see:

1. Its going to be difficult to seal the radiator to the hood because the engine, sway bar, and P/S hoses are in the way

2. My racing beat muffler is going to get in the way of a diffuser, but not as much as my rear tow hooks, these have got to go.

3. The front bumper bows down in the middle, this is exactly opposite of what I want it to do.

Some solutions

1. Use a nearly vertical angle on the lower part of the ducting. Or run the radiator at more of an angle, this would require running a radiator cap and overflow tube somewhere else in the system. Or I could run a small radiator on either side in front of the wheels and use a splitter in the intake to supply air.

2. Use a different muffler, maybe something from a motorcycle because they are more compact. Cut off the tow hooks.

3. Bend the front bumper, or get a different one.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
This has been in my plans for a while too... gonna be a while before I can do it though. I hadn't thought about engine breathing. A reverse louvred hood would do it though. I was going to take some lessons from the rally guys, and use cutting-board type plastic but that only gets me back to the control arms. I have an underbody brace which makes it easier for me to attach underbody panels, but I haven't figured out what i'm doing around/aft of the rear wheels. I'm really set on spatting the undertray in front of both front and rear wheels, perhaps that'll allow me to run the wheelwells overall uncovered, the MR2 Spyder and S2k have good luck with it.

...the next problem is how thick to go? I don't need it as a skidplate, but i do need it to not deform, and not add an extra 100 lbs to the car.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Oh! and as for the radiator, it's simple. Just build an airdam down off the underside of the hood with a rubber seal that follows the line of your radiator's leading edge.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh! and as for the radiator, it's simple. Just build an airdam down off the underside of the hood with a rubber seal that follows the line of your radiator's leading edge.
Have you looked at the angle that would need to be at? To me it looks like it would be a big flow restriction. The more I think about it the more I think running twin radiators on the sides is a good idea. You could even duct the air out the sides afterwards, like on the 2006 Impreza WRC:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
While im at it I found some good pics of the 06' Impreza WRC with its face off.

^ If im looking at it right they have the intercooler vent out the hood, and the radiator vent out to the sides.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
the exhaust, tranny, and diff give off a ton of heat. I have wanted to do this too, but have not for fear of having significant cooling issues of these items. You'd need to plumb in external coolers to do it effectively. Would be a massive undertaking.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts