ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
because **** you
6,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So through the course of today and yesterday I learned to intensely hate and then love my car all over again. I poured some seafoam into the oil, gas tank, and then had my sister hold the throttle while I shoved the stuff down the Miatas throat, pissed off the neighbors, and went for a drive. It produced lots less smoke than old civic with a "60k engine swap" and the throttle smoothed out quite well. After a run to Mazda to find my lip hardware still not in, I went to Pep Boys and bought a pump to flow oil into the transmission and LSD. When I came out I found a beautiful Porsche Speedster parked next to me! (Pics attached below) I was in shock the owner would park it next to my car despite our matching themes.

After staring for awhile I went home and put my car up on jack stands to find my frame rails look like they have been hit with sledgehammers, moving on I removed the oil cap and drain plug. After a few minutes of of letting it sit I went to look for the oil filter I heard was hidden under the intake manifold quite well, and find the intake manifold brace is only held in with three bolts and that it was impossible for me to take the filter off without having removed the brace first. I attack it with all my strength and only remove it about an hour later with a foot long cheater bar on a ratchet after letting the bolts soak in WD40 and 2 other fluids that are supposed to help free bolts that are quite happy with the place they reside (Once off I throw it into a dark corner of my garage). Ready to stab a screw driver through the oil filter and twist it off that way, it finally comes off about an hour after the manifold brace, as it had been put on by King Kong and the filter wrenches I had weren't made for imports :roll:. After much trouble I am happy to throw on the Mobile 1 M1-103 filter I bought under assumption, but wait it does not fit! Back to Pep Boys in my sisters Accord covered in girl stickers and a Lilo and Stitch antennae ball to find the only filter they carry that fits a Miata is a Purolator, so I take it unsatisfied and head back home. Put on the filter and throw in the Mobil1 5-30. It comes out even smoother than before and all valve-train noise is virtually eliminated, along with the valve-tap I had on cold start ups.

/ Day1

Today I started off happy by getting both the transmission drain and fill plug out in under a minute, as they were both less than finger tight but had no signs of leakage. So I throw the pump into action on some Mobil1 85-90 fluid: *pump* *pump* *pump* *pump* *pump*...okay lets trying switching this pump around the other way...*pump* *pump* *pump* *pump* *pump*. Nothing again and i'm off to another exiting trip to Pep Boys in my sisters Accord. I replace the part with a pump of the same brand as before but the new one is meant for Outboard Engine motor oil, insted of transmissions. I give it a go and we have fluid moving into the transmission! =D> Trough with the tranny I move onto the differential and don't have too much trouble in removing both bolts with a medium sized crescent wrench. I pump a quart of Castrol 85-115 into it am done faster than ever, so I take the left over transmission oil and head to the cockpit and find I don't have much in the way of a large turret boot, but the small boot is completely intact luckily. So I pull out the shifter and find almost 0 fluid below, but suck out what junk I can. I fill her up so the brim and re-assemble happy to know I am done with fluid changes for at least another 3000 miles.

/Day 2

After resting for a good hour eating lunch and relaxing I take it for a test drive on the way back to Pep Boys to leave them all my old fluids. I'm impressed, it shifts good and has gotten rid of alot of the notchiness it had that made me hate my Miata shifter oh so much, when trying to get into first gear from neutral especially. The car now lacks the a whine I heard coming either from the transmission or differential and is as I have described before, for lack of a better word, amazingly smooth. And it's probably just in my head but I feel the diff locks more, smoother, and more consistently than before. In the end i'm happy I went through the ordeal despite some bumps on my knuckles, some "paper cuts", and being broke.
Anyone want to buy a Mobil M1-103 filter or an intake manifold brace? :mrgreen:

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
why did you have to take the manifold brace off to get the oil filter out?

looks like the porsche tried to park away from you lol j/k

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
purolator is up there with the oem oil filters so dont worry about it ;) just avoid fram's, many miata folks report lower oil pressure with them.

356's are pure sex.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Was that the Pep Boys on Redondo Beach Blvd.?

·
because **** you
6,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
why did you have to take the manifold brace off to get the oil filter out?

looks like the porsche tried to park away from you lol j/k
because it was impossible other-wise :(

purolator is up there with the oem oil filters so dont worry about it ;) just avoid fram's, many miata folks report lower oil pressure with them.

356's are pure sex.
Oh ok, thanks for the info :D , i'd never even think about a Fram though, i'm not a fan of sheets of paper filtering my oil :shock:

Remove. Oil. Filter. From. Under. The. Mother. Fucking. Vehicle.
I did, and that's why the brace was in my way, i'll go take some pictures of where it was, maybe I was coming at it wrong?

Was that the Pep Boys on Redondo Beach Blvd.?
Close, the one I go to is on Artesia and Aviaton

yeah, oil filter can be reached from pass. side wheel well. no need to remove anything major.
The brace isn't anything major, nobody i've heard of that removed it have had any problems, it's just a %#@%$ to get off.

pics of sister! :D jp..
If you search myspace real hard i'm sure you could find her :p

And good news today, my hardware came in so the front lip will be on once it cools off, so I can work w/o sweating :mrgreen:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts