ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a set of sway bars from FM, the $199 one and then saw the racing beat ones for 115. Should I have gone with the racing beat ones instead? Is there that much of a difference? Someone also told me I should just put on the front ones too.

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
I just ordered a set of sway bars from FM, the $199 one and then saw the racing beat ones for 115. Should I have gone with the racing beat ones instead? Is there that much of a difference? Someone also told me I should just put on the front ones too.
Search dude, seriously.

For most autocross and track stuff, the ticket is just to get the tubular Racing Beat front sway and either keep or remove your stock rear sway. Nobody really buys the aftermarket rear ones. Cancel your order.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I've have the racing beat tubular front and solid rear and have mixed feelings about them.

I have some initial understeer upon entry with lift off oversteer but it is manageable. I't sure it has something to do with my all season falken ziex's and a dying viscous rear end.

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
I've have the racing beat tubular front and solid rear and have mixed feelings about them.

I have some initial understeer upon entry with lift off oversteer but it is manageable. I't sure it has something to do with my all season falken ziex's and a dying viscous rear end.
Take off your rear bar.

·
Registered
163 Posts
FM really generally seems to be on the ball in a way that racing beat isn't. This isn't conclusive by any means but I feel like if they suggest a rear bar, a rear bar is good to have. Plus they are adjustable (2 settings in front, 3 in back) so you can create much of that "no rear bar" low speed effect without removing components from your car.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Generally speaking, you buy the bar of the size you need. The size you need will depend on the front roll couple (FRC) you're aiming for. FRC is a major factor in the balance of traction front to rear. The FRC is also affected by the rate of your springs. In my very limited experience with both Racing Beat and Flying Miata bars, the Racing Beat bars were of far better quality. Quality really isn't a big factor, through the bar should at least be straight.

I have rear bars on all of my cars, though I removed it from my wife's turbo Miata. I like my FRC between 55% and 60%; my wife's FRC with the rear bar removed was 70%.

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
FM really generally seems to be on the ball in a way that racing beat isn't. This isn't conclusive by any means but I feel like if they suggest a rear bar, a rear bar is good to have. Plus they are adjustable (2 settings in front, 3 in back) so you can create much of that "no rear bar" low speed effect without removing components from your car.
RB sells a rear bar too, doesn't mean you should buy it. Listen to Lewbowski though, good advice.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Depends on the year of the car as well. For a NA6 the FM front bar, stock rear seems to be a good combo. The larger RB bar might be too much for a NA6. Driving style also plays a factor.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Depends. If you plan to stay relatively stock in terms of suspension then the FM package is awesome bang for buck.

If you want to get coil overs then the basic go fast formula is

700/400 spring rates
-2.8 front camber -2.5 rear camber
rb 1.125 hollow bar front
stock rear bar, or MSM 14mm rear bar if needed

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you want to get coil overs then the basic go fast formula is

700/400 spring rates
-2.8 front camber -2.5 rear camber
rb 1.125 hollow bar front
stock rear bar, or MSM 14mm rear bar if needed
That's and awfully big generalization. That wouldn't be the fast setup on the roads I frequent. Roads around here are too rough, and are better tamed by softer, more compliant, spring rates.

·
CR.net Supporter
11 Posts
^ Wrong...7kg/mm does not equal 700lbs/in...

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've got both the RB hollow front and solid rear. I'm pleased with the handling characteristics. But i've also destroyed to rpf1's oversteering into curbs. :fab:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
All season tires

·
Banned
607 Posts
Generally speaking, you buy the bar of the size you need. The size you need will depend on the front roll couple (FRC) you're aiming for. FRC is a major factor in the balance of traction front to rear. The FRC is also affected by the rate of your springs. In my very limited experience with both Racing Beat and Flying Miata bars, the Racing Beat bars were of far better quality. Quality really isn't a big factor, through the bar should at least be straight.

I have rear bars on all of my cars, though I removed it from my wife's turbo Miata. I like my FRC between 55% and 60%; my wife's FRC with the rear bar removed was 70%.
This is what I like about racing beat, available in multiple sizes.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts