ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Supporting Member
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is used around town, infrequently on long journeys.
But I would like a car with less flex.
Is this worthwhile?
I am concerned about clearance issues specifically.
I now have a set of konis with factory springs - did not want to lower the car.
And a Hard Dog hard bar & factory behind the seat brace.
When I have my 15" BBS rims on (with 195/50-15 tyres), I have to slow down for speed bumps.
I would like to hear both pros and cons.

Thanx.

·
Registered
271 Posts
the brace is really good and it helps. Basically when you pull out youll notice it right away. instead of paying for that though i woudl get roll over bars instead unless you have them then go for the FM brace and/or side bars.

·
3,857 Posts
I would say try to get the Frame Rails only and see if you like it!
I bet you will like it!
I drove with the rails while my butterfly was damaged and I think that the frame rails add more stiffeness than the butterfly...

The most important thing is the springs...I know have 430/300 springs all around and I can see vibrations of the windshield...even though I have butterfly+roll bar+triangular brace...
Of course with stock springs my car felt more solid than a sedan...

·
Mufasa in Training
31,049 Posts
I wish I'd have driven a car with just the frame rails, but the rails + butterfly is an absolute night and day difference, even when comparing two cars with otherwise similar bracing (including rollbars). I heartily recommend it (though Chris probably has input on how the butterfly can cause problems depending on road conditions ;) ).

·
3,857 Posts
Yes, that's true Brian, the butterfly can cause problems...while this didn't really stop me from installing another one :)

Anyway if somebody thinks of the cost too, while doesn't want to risk hitting a manhole or anything similar...the frame rails is a very good idea...as I said they stiffen the body A LOT!!!

The body was so stiff with the frame rails that I couldn't see (in everyday driving) any difference when I installed the butterfly...

·
3,542 Posts
I recently added a rollbar to my butterflied NA, and immediately felt the difference in the rear end. So they do definitely add up in stiffness...at the cost of weight though.

·
Supporting Member
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the FB.
From what I am gathering here, I should just go with the frame rails?
The BF center section would be possibly overkill??

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I had a rollbar installed on my 90 right after I got it. It was the first mod. After I added my turbo, RM downpipe, and enthuza exhaust. When I decided that the 1.6 was still really flexy and rattly even after the rollbar I got the rails and butterfly. After the instal which was a bitch and a half, the center section rattled right up against my cat and dp. I had to set it to its lowest setting to just barely clear everything. Even though the car was still stock ride hight it rubbed and scraped on EVERYTHING. after a few weeks I got fed up and removed the center section but left the rails. I noticed no differance in stiffness. Just my experiance...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Is it just me? But it looks like the frame rail braces can be made by a DIY alot cheeper then the 190.00. Any ideas? Not saying FM does not have a good product, just i may be able to make it cheeper.

·
Registered
332 Posts
my plant was to make a diy frame rail..plus a diy butterfly brace...it's possible..because i have the tools..*smiles*.. HEHE..but anyways enough with that..anything is possible if you got the time and will

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I recently added a rollbar to my butterflied NA, and immediately felt the difference in the rear end. So they do definitely add up in stiffness...at the cost of weight though.
when i added my rollbar I noticed the weight more than the stiffness, almost everyone who owns a FM brace comments on how soft their shocks/springs/suspension feels....wouldn`t this be more attributed to the weight? how much does the complete FM butterfly brace weigh anyways?

Chris thats interesting that the rails make up the majority of the stiffness...weight is everything in an N/A miata...

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just got a frame rail for christmas :mrgreen:

it installed just now and vwallah! the car feels very solid. the difference is night and day. i highly recomend it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just got a frame rail for christmas :mrgreen:

it installed just now and vwallah! the car feels very solid. the difference is night and day. i highly recomend it.
This will probably be my next chassis mod. How much of a pain is the install? Any comments on a frame rail kit + hardtop + rollbar?
its just time consuming. taking the seats out, drilling and bolting one hole at a time..that was not fun. but all worth it. i have the newer version of the brace and it just slapped on easily. i just needed to hammer it a little to line it up perfectly.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts