ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've decided I need to get my car a bit lower to the ground.
I barely clear speedbumps right now (lowered 1-1/4") when I'm alone in the car.
The FM frame rails seem like a good protection against smashing up my rails, as I've read of quite a few people using them here.
I was just wondering how much life I can expect out of them as they're only 2mm thick.
I'm also a bit scared of snagging one of the weight saving cutouts they have on a speedbump.
Can anyone shed some info on this?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Considering the average speedbump here is more than 5 inches tall and has a concave entrance, I'm 100% sure I will scrape on 95% of them :p.

·
Alexander Supertramp
4,670 Posts
If you're getting them just for scraping and not bracing, why not just fab your own out of slightly thicker material?

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
Considering the average speedbump here is more than 5 inches tall and has a concave entrance, I'm 100% sure I will scrape on 95% of them :p.
5 inch tall speed bump? 0_0

I would NEVER even attempt to go over one, and I rarely let obstacles get in my way :lol:

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
I have an unusually high speedbump at the entrance to my home. I installed the FM rails last year and drag my car over them at least twice a day, no worries. I have since raised the car and only drag on it with a passenger and a full tank of fuel. The damn bump is so high, my wife's stock height NB would bottom out on it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have an unusually high speedbump at the entrance to my home. I installed the FM rails last year and drag my car over them at least twice a day, no worries. I have since raised the car and only drag on it with a passenger and a full tank of fuel. The damn bump is so high, my wife's stock height NB would bottom out on it.
do you have to "ricer dance" over them lol

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They're everywhere, and 5" is just an average one, they get higher and they're very steep :p.

Edit:

And we have these, a lot of them. Also about 5" high, impossible to avoid or take diagonally.

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
They're everywhere, and 5" is just an average one, they get higher and they're very steep :p.

Edit:

And we have these, a lot of them. Also about 5" high, impossible to avoid or take diagonally.

these aren't as bad as long as you know where they are though. you can keep 2 wheels on the side of the street and just roll one side of the car over. These would be a bitch if you encountered them at full speed at night time though and didnt realize they were there. Bye bye undercarriage

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I smashed over a particularly high one of those once, luckily that was still at stock height so no (noticeable) damage :p.

·
Registered
155 Posts

i have fm rails and they never get snagged. These things take a beating and they are still super straight (just scratches). they are a must have if u dont want to destroy our oem cardboard rails lol

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess I'll be getting them either way then, as anything is better than the stock rails :p.
Your car seems pretty low, so I can imagine them holding up to a beating pretty well.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Mine scrape all the goddamn time and the fronts are kinda messed up from getting snagged on ****. It was so bad that I unhooked my airbags because I was scared I'd hit a really big bump and have them deploy as happened with fabel. Finally just raised the car about 1/3 inch and it's fine now.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts