ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with these two options. I know the FM are stainless versus powdercoated steel for the frogs. But what about any performance differentials? I'm looking at
purchasing a set and would like to be well informed before I do. Right now based on what I know, Price is driving the decision, and the Froggs are less expensive.

·
I have all the correct opinions.
10,544 Posts
If you ever plan on upgrading them with a butterfly brace, then get the FM rails. If not, they're probably about the same.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Do the Boss's have the speed holes like FM'S? If not then the FM rails should theoretically be lighter, that's definitely something to think about too.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Bossfrog's have the circular cutouts

Whereas FM's look like this.

I think the biggest potential difference would be the type and thickness of metal used in each. I have the FM rails installed on my car and I'm very happy with them, but the bossfrog ones are probably fine too.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Well one positive for the fm is they are stainless. Soon as the paint scraps on the bossfrog or v8r ones it will start to rust.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Could just spray some rubberized undercoat on the boss frog couldn't you? I think that would help. I mean there's a lot more stuff under the car that is rustable but I have no rust.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Boundary Engineering makes them too. They are stainless and don't have any speed holes (much cheaper). I have them on my car. I jack off them, have smashed them into numerous things, and they still look perfect.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Boundary doesn't make them right now. They are sold out indefinitely at the moment.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Holes allow it to dry out, trapped moisture=rust.

I like my FM rails, great to place the jack anywhere along them. Stiffened up the chassis, now I want more so I'm considering the butterfly brace.

·
Speed Racer
4,690 Posts
+1

Stainless Steel > Powder Coated Steel

For me it was a "no brainer" since I want to hang onto my car for a few years.
Boundary doesn't make them right now. They are sold out indefinitely at the moment.
These two... exactly why I'm having my own made at the moment. I sold the V8R ones that came with my V8 kit but still want something with more rigidity than the FM's with triangles cut out..and I contacted Boundary and they aren't making them now...and FM said they only sell them as-is.... so custom solid stainless it is!

·
<3s Malaking Puwit.
581 Posts
I have the boss frogs on one NA,haven't had any problems. Of course the car is moderately lowered so no real fears of scraping the frame rails.

I bought the FM ones recently. But haven't put them on as of yet.

For future upgrades FM>Boss Frog. The boss frog also does not have a place to bolt the hard lines too, so I had to zip tie it some where.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Well that's a bummer!

Holes allow it to dry out, trapped moisture=rust.

I like my FM rails, great to place the jack anywhere along them. Stiffened up the chassis, now I want more so I'm considering the butterfly brace.
They have a couple weep holes drilled in them, just not the giant speed holes.

I aim to please...haha

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Stainless + less holes to drill = FM for me.
More mounting points the better. It will resist torsional flexing better. Don't believe me? Take a 12"x1"x1/8" piece of flat bar steel and a 24"x1"x1/8" piece of flat bar steel, see which one can bend twist easier.

These two... exactly why I'm having my own made at the moment. I sold the V8R ones that came with my V8 kit but still want something with more rigidity than the FM's with triangles cut out..and I contacted Boundary and they aren't making them now...and FM said they only sell them as-is.... so custom solid stainless it is!
Are you going with thicker gauge stainless steel?

I've always wondered what welding these braces on would do. Or throwing a few ~5" bolts through them and the frame rails across their width.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Unless you sleeve the bolts going through the frame rails you're just going to compress the rails as you torque down on them. Even with a sleeve however I don't see them adding much benefit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts