ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking out the Flyin' Miata website as I often do to daydream and think of how I can spend my next paycheck when I noticed they have a new product.

FM jack adapter

Flyin' Miata said:
Want to lift up both wheels on one side of your Miata at once so you can put it on jackstands or quickly swap tires? We do this all the time. Slide the jack under the middle of the car for a quick lift. Too bad Mazda only reinforced the seam at the front and rear of the car!

A customer asked us if we could do anything to solve this problem, and here`s our answer. Our jack adapter sits on top of a typical floor jack and straddles that fragile seam, putting the load on the structure of the car instead. It`s similar to the way the stock scissor jack is shaped, but offers significantly more surface area to prevent damage. Requires only an extra 1/8" of clearance, about the same as the removable rubber pad on the jack. Powdercoated (the photos are of the initial prototype)

Fits all Miatas and many other cars. The slot is 7/8" deep and 3/8" wide, so as long as your other car has seams less than 7/8" high this should work. May not fit all jacks - a particularly deep or very small platform on the jack could cause a problem. The adapter has a 3" base.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I already have the FM frame rails, which can be used as a jacking point. But my low-profile aluminum jack barely fits underneath my car and sometimes when working in my driveway instead of my garage it's easier to use my other jack and lift at sill. This product looks like it would be perfect addition to my tool box. Maybe we can get revlimtier to do a review and update his blog with the Mega Jack Stand Review – part 3

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For years people have been rolling their own with a piece of 2x4 and circular saw or router. But this is much nicer for those without any woodworking skills and it only costs $20 and FM are good people.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
I want one of these in the worst way. I also use my FM frame rails as a jacking point, but I have to lift up the side of the car a few inches with my small jack before I can fit the big one under the car.

·
Registered
87 Posts
some jacks or scissor jacks come with those pieces already though. just saying it's not completely brand new to the world

·
Taste cannot be bought.
3,032 Posts
This is brilliant and I am unsure why there is practically no other company out there that sells this. Eastwood has their own version, but it must be "installed" and can not be transferred easily from jack to jack (http://www.eastwood.com/review/product/list/id/473/category/499/).

I have been using my own custom cut block of wood with a large, deep slit in it. The key is having a slit, no matter if you are using a rubber pad or a hockey puck. Eventually, it will bend if you don't have a deep slit.

I will be purchasing this piece as soon as I submit this post. There is almost nothing that is more of an eye-sore to me than bent rockers. Clean rockers do wonders for a car's look.

Thanks for posting Kyle. Big thanks.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
i used to use wood. got tired of it splitting on me. this is a nice alternative, but it's metal which can become slick in rain and oil. what do i do? i made my own out of polyeurethane. have been using it for about 2 years. i was going to start making them for sale for about $15, but never had the time to do so. poly is nice because it isn't effected by oils and water like wood and metal are, along with the added security that it is pretty much a no-slip surface. also, it conforms nicely to the surrounding area on the rail. the best part? it is woodgrain texture because i made the original mold out of a 2x4. ;) i'll see if i can find a picture. i think i have one somewhere. but it travels with me to every event and is lower profile than this..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts