ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=5684&parentid=0&stocknumber=29-50000

Lightweight trailer hitch, 1990-97

This product is part of a group buy! If you order it now, you'll automatically be entered into the buy and we won't charge your card until we hit the minimum number of people or the deadline is reached. If you don't want to wait until the end of the group buy and are willing to pay regular price (as shown here), please contact us by email or phone. Details

A trailer hitch with a difference. There are a few hitches out there, but how many of them add only five pounds to your car? And have been run through FEA (Finite Element Analysis) software to ensure the design is strong enough? Ours has!

Made of laser cut pieces that are bent, welded and powdercoated, this is the only hitch available that`s designed with weight and intended use as the major design goals. You can tow a small trailer (say, tires and tools) to the track. Once you`re there, pull out the ball mount and the parts left on your car weigh only 8 lbs - all mounted low. Your factory tow hooks weigh 3 lbs, so this is only 5 lbs heavier after you remove them for installation. This is dramatically lighter than other hitches on the market.

It`s rated for a 1500 lb trailer and 150 lb tongue weight - which is more than you should ever tow with a Miata. Our FEA testing ensures the light weight doesn`t affect strength. In fact, it`s strong enough to hang your Miata from - although we do ask that if you try this, please send us a picture. We can`t figure out how to pick up the car without damaging the nose.

FEA report (PDF file)

Fits 1990-97 models only. Three possible positions for the ball height to mate properly with your trailer. The lowest position is compatible with the R Package rear skirt. Includes a hitch pin, but not a ball. A square receiver attachment for use with bike racks, etc, is coming.

Photos of the prototypes. The details will vary slightly in the finished product. The rendering (main picture) is the final design.

·
Kony For President
2,036 Posts
Sounds nice, but I just can't get over the vertical position. All the weight would be supported by the hitch pin?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Remember, the tongue load is only 150 lbs. A hitch pin can easily handle this. In a normal hitch, the pin has to handle the drag from the trailer. The pin is 1/2" solid steel. Not a problem. The lowest grade 1/2" bolt can handle 1470 lbs of load in shear.

We've added a new option. You can now get the hitch either with our removable ball mount, or with a receiver attachment. Same price. The receiver has SCCA-spec tow hooks built into it. You'll need to supply your own ball mount in that case.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I don't think I'd try to tow something like that with the Miata. base wt of the trailer is 850, loaded it'd be close to 2k or more. The max wt for the bar he says is 1500. Don't know about the tongue weight on the trailer, but i'd bet it's at 150 or more. Sorry! If you're taking lots of stuff with you, you'd be better off towing the miata behind a uhaul truck. Lots more money, but your stuff would get there safer.

·
Registered
380 Posts
There's a huge margin of safety in that hitch rating - but I can't recommend towing a 2500 lb trailer with a 2400 lb Miata. Especially if it doesn't have trailer brakes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts