ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out the hard way that the FM 1.5 Tokico Illuminas were one click too stiff and the car was very twitchy in the corners. Changed to one click to softer and more grip and neutral handling.

I was alleys thinking that harder compression /rebound would be better but did not realize nor yet fully understand the suspension dynamics on my car yet.

Should the spring be harder with harder compression ? Is the issue valving or the spring?
I am running FM bigger front bar and rear smaller bar. The end links were upgraded to racing beat type. The car is on Nitto 225/50/15 NT05 on 15x8 Konig.

While the softer rear setting was welcomed for added traction, the front was pushing more. Should the front be also taken down to softer setting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got their FM rear bar and larger front. I don't recall the Diameter. IT was super Slow when you are fighting every corner to stay on track. One click later we were back in grip.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So for track use, do you run full stiff Front for the Illuminas and rear on 3 or so and no bar? or do you crank up to 4 on rear. I think I was at the middle on the rear when it worked.

·
The colder Adam
2,194 Posts
I don't have FMs in my main car, but I've driven a few cars with it. For autocross, I do pretty stiff on my car in the front (I have Xidas) and pretty soft on the rear with no bar. For track, I run a Racing Beat bar that is maybe a hair too stiff. My car is probably set up a bit more with a push bias than an FM set up, which is more oversteer-y. Start with one change and adjust as needed. Sounds like you made some shock improvements. I say don't touch the shocks at the moment, unhook the rear bar and see what happens.

·
Registered
634 Posts
+1 on disconnecting the stock rear bar. I find doing so makes the more car 'drive-by-throttle'. You'll have to stay partially on the gas more around corners to get the car to rotate and not push, but in return oversteer becomes less dramatic (less 'snap-oversteer') and ultimately you have more grip at the rear.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you both. I just looked again at the FM site and the bars are as follows:

1.0" front and 0.625"

The springs are
Front springs: 318 lb/
Rear springs: 233 lb/

Front ride height: 12.5"
Rear ride height: 13

The rear bumpstop a were NB yellow ones cut down to 35mm.

I have the fronts on full stuff -setting 5 and rears on 2. When I tried 3, the car was fighting for traction and any modulation was hard to keep it steady during cornering.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so you are saying to change to stock links for the rear as well? Thx

·
Mufasa in Training
31,856 Posts
so you are saying to change to stock links for the rear as well? Thx
I was assuming you already had some on-hand. I honestly don't know if the RB's work with stock bars, but that's only because I've never actually heard of anyone bothering to try. If they fit, keep 'em.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts