ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why does the world need another seat foam removal thread you ask? Because I haven't seen one yet that was for an NB that didn't completely suck platypus ass :phillyb:

This is for NB1 seats, might be different locations of stuff on NB2 and there are plenty of NA threads out there already, but the principles are the same.

Summary:
Remove seat
Remove rails
Remove seat covers
Bitch about hog rings
Remove foam
Install seat covers
Bitch about hog rings
Install rails
Install seat

Tools actually needed or suggested:

3/8 ratchet
3/8 longest extension you have - I used a 20" from HF
3/8 U joint -I used a HF impact swivel (which has been my favorite tool since last summer)
Sockets needed (Use 6 points so you don't round anything off) - 14mm, 12mm, 8mm
#2 Phillips screw driver
Flat head screw driver or a nylon trim removal tool ideally
Heavy duty wire cutters
stout needle nose pliers
GOOD zipties
Sharpie

If adding bolster bracket:
Drill
1/8" drill bit
steel barstock
self taping sheet metal screws

Something to cut with:
Razor blade - like the kind that go in a glass scraper
Electric carving knife (Highly recommended by forumites)
Knife

So here's what I thought I'd need before starting:

About now you should realize I fucking hated my seats, the headrest smacked me in the spine, my back always hurt after half an hour driving, my bolsters were wrecked by larger previous owners, and they spent a good time damp from my leaky old top. But KaBars make anything more interesting.

First up is removing the seats from the car. There are 4 bolts and no wires (NAs I think are different) These are 14mm bolts and if my car has taught me anything its that if Mazda used a 14mm bolt, no matter where it is its gonna be a harder than you'd think to get out. Be prepared, these are a bear, mine soaked with PB blaster for an hour and took a cheater bar to remove.

Big extension and a universal joint help a lot here

Now get it inside without putting the rails through your door panels.

Time to get those rails off. Four bolts on the bottom and two on the buckle side, these are all 12mm heads.

bottom bolts:

Slide the rails forwards for clearance on the back bolts and backwards for the rear bolts

See this wire? Good, hook it back up the same way, or leave it on. But this is how it needs to look once you're done.

Ok now the side two

Now for breaking the seat into top and bottom sections.

Start on this side

Thats an 8mm bolt, now why bolts not screws like the other side? Because OEMs are assholes like that.

Now gently pop this cap off.

Mind the little felt washers that keep the rattles away. (My is dented a bit here, they are usually round)

Time for the spring side.

How she sits

Undo both screws order doesn't matter and they are identical.

Now get the tilt handle cover off. It takes some prying, but just slides off. Use something wide so you don't rip it to pieces prying on it.

ta-da!

Now wiggle the cover off, pull towards where the steering wheel would be.

Now two more bolts. 14mm so they don't come right out, mine had that greenish loktite on them.

Now we're cooking!

Damn my seats are nasty...:smile1:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
First slide this cover off, pulls straight up.

Now its time for hog rings.

Now I prefer to reuse them, for two reasons. 1) Mazda used the kind that aren't springy so they're easy to deal with. 2) I do not want to take this all apart again because a ziptie broke.

Best way to pull them off if you want to reuse them:

Once they're all off we're reading to pull the cover off. Should just slide off.

Glad I have my tetanus shots up to date.

Time to cut this lump off.

Getting my revenge on the seat.

Lift and cut. Best way to do it.

Kinda looks like toast.

I have a delicate ass, so I used this rasp to smooth things out. I bet it does not matter one damn bit.

This is why you cut from the bottom, so that there are no bunches of extra fabric making your seat look like ****.

Test it anytime you remove a decent bit of foam

Not done yet, the bolsters aren't even near my legs or hip.

Cutting some more out infront of the pan bump. Do NOT cut off from the very front of the seat, you will regret it on your first road trip. Thats what supports your legs.

Smaller bit this time.

Test fit with the back mocked up.

I think Mazda thought their foam would support itself for the bolsters, very inadequate. Time to add a bracket on the trans tunnel side (not the door side unless you're into getting a piece of steel up your ass every time you get in your car.)

Gotta trim this lip a bit, I used a hacksaw and it cut very easily.

Bend it with your BFH

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Mount it up!

Use self tappers, the seat pan is too thin and weak to hold machine screw threads.

Round the end and keep it an inch or more from the top of the seat or it'll punch through your fabric when you sit. I mounted it on an angle to give the most support for its height, you could make it totally vertical.

Test fit again with the back mocked up, and mark where your armpits are on the seat with something.

Most people seem to stop with just cutting the bump off, the bracket makes a big difference, and this next bit will help with the side bolsters and shoulder support. I was bored and had free time, did make a huge difference though.

Pop this screw out and slide the cover off

More 14mm bolts that are overly snugged from the factory.

Sneaky hidden hog rings.

Center section flips up (this surprised the **** outa me when I found out it wasn't attached a few months ago.)

Careful with those center rings, they don't attach to a metal rod but they help keep the cover from wiggling. Use two sets of pliers to remove them.

When I test fit I stuck a hog ring in the seat where my arm pits were. I'm using this to reference where to remove foam to create more back/shoulder support.

First section to remove. Be careful by those rings again, don't cut out too much.

To control your cutting depth, an easy trick is cut with the knife to the desired depth.

And mark it with a sharpie, that way you know when to stop cutting.

Now I removed more of the seat cover and took some more foam out above where the center section attaches.

Probably could have taken it lower about an inch, but time will tell.

Re-assemble.

Seriously its just doing everything in reverse, so not a lot of pics. I used zip ties if there was a gap I couldn't get easily with the hog rings. Usually through a ring in there after the zip tie pulled both pieces together. This is at the bottom back of the seat.

Don't torque up the floor bolts until after you have them all started. That goes for pretty much anything, anywhere.

And back in! Bit damp from the massive cleaning I gave them, but I'm waiting for warmer weather before I attack my interior more.

Height gained = 3" I should have taken a before pic, but the top bar liner had been resting on my head before.

Hope that helps someone sometime. Honestly its easy as hell, just takes time, and you'll probably end up bleeding from a sheet metal cut or step on a hog ring barefoot :suicide:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Let me know if pics don't work, or if its total ****/enough of these already out there.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could see how it would be, just don't have one and didn't want a 1 time use tool. I did try a box cutter blade that worked great too, just small

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mine's been used on two foamectomies so far, and if i ever host a thanksgiving dinner it should work well for that also. and it was only like 5.99.
Did you do the passenger seat too? I'm on the fence for mine.

·
(⌐■_■)
2,356 Posts
I left my passenger seat alone since I don't sit in it. I also figured the car would be easier to sell down the line with only one modified stock seat vs two

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
nah, i did my MSM's driver's seat when i put it in my 93, and my roommate did my old 99's driver's seat when he put that one in the 93 and I moved the msm seats inside for ps3 duty. and pretty soon the MSM seats are gonna be going in my mx3 winter driver.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:mrgreen:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks man!

·
Registered
296 Posts
i did my passenger seat as well. everyone that sits in it (when its in the car) loves it and how it "holds" them lol...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts