Premium Member
2,938 Posts
re: Footwell Subwoofer Box for NA & NB

won't be buying this batch, but i will be in the future

·
Registered
1,447 Posts

oh your making a whole batch of them! thank god. my money is tied up in a big brake kit right now but i need this in my life in the near future

·
Registered
1,571 Posts

Lol, I remember reading your build thread inspired me to do the same so I bought a sub and the materials and still haven't made it. What is the internal airspace on this box and are you customizing anything for them?

Link in first post has link to photos installed.
You said in the thread that these are bigger redesigned boxes so any newer pics of the fitment?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

What is the internal airspace on this box and are you customizing anything for them?
I'm no math wiz but I think it's about .235 ft^3.

You said in the thread that these are bigger redesigned boxes so any newer pics of the fitment?
The box doesn't fit as snug as the other but the depth was just too shallow to fit higher end woofers. I blew out two JL Audio 8W0 and when I upgraded to a Polk Audio higher end sub, it didn't fit in the original box. Thus, the redesign. I think the added depth is worth it. The depth is not drastically different from the original. It's about 1/2" - 5/8" deeper but because of that, all the angles changed so I had to start from scratch.

I took pictures in a tan interior of a 01-05 to show folks the color of the carpet doesn't matter like you might think if you have floor mats.

Here is the box in the foot well.

Here is another shot more from the side.

Here it is with the floor mat in place.

From the side.

Outside the car, looking in with the door shut.

As you can see, the color of the carpet is not critical unless you don't have or use floor mats. The trouble with offering carpet options is there are several different tans, 10AE blue and 93LE red. I will never match those colors to everyone's satisfaction so I decided to go with Henry Ford's wisdom and offer it in any color as long as it's black. I can build boxes without carpet and you can add your own if you prefer. Price is the same either way.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts

I'm no math wiz but I think it's about .235 ft^3.
Ah ok, I figured it'd be more when I saw your ran a 8W0 (min. 0.375 ft^3 recommended) in the original box. Maybe the undersized box was why the two subs blew, unless you were overpowering them. My 8" Kicker requires at least .4 ft^3 but that should fit after I mocked it up in my footwell.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Bro this is sick! I will definitely be buying one next batch since my money is tied up right now on buying a head unit haha

·
DopePhresh™
1,104 Posts

here's a pic of mine. love it. passengers love it too :D

btw im 6ft1 and my 6ft2 friend sat in it, we are both comfy with no noticeable leg room loss.

·
DopePhresh™
1,104 Posts

It will run you 145 shipped real.

as for how it sounds, even with the top down it adds so much to my car. I never knew what I was missing. 1 80 dollar 8" and a 150 dollar amp and i was completely good to go. no rattling or anything either since it's in the footwell.

when i have the hard top on it sounds like I have a professional system and people were asking me if i have like a 1000 dollar audio setup because it sounds so good. you don't need anymore bass than this in the miata. I even went with a sound quality sub over loudness.

·
fender gap is the enemy
2,103 Posts

what sub and amp did u go with? already got the box still audio shopping lol

·
DopePhresh™
1,104 Posts

JX250/1 - JL Audio Monoblock 250W RMS 500W Class A/B Amplifier

and

8W1V2-4 - JL Audio 8" Single 4-Ohm Car Subwoofer