ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,
I consider myself a newbie here even though I joined in 2015.
Bought my 99 Nb with 10000 in 2015 and now going up to 20000 all stock except for Radio.
I like to spice things up a bit. I like start with performance (not going crazy over turbo or supercharge yet since it is still low mileage) maybe bolt on setup. Any recommendations please comment. Then wheels and suspension setup. Looking at 16x6 (6.5) +32 front 17x7 (7.5) Rear
Front tire 195/50/16 Rear 225/45/17. Then exhaust system to follow. This vehicle has seen only dry weather only maybe light rain one time, other than that its been tucked at all times. Looking forward this summer coming up. Any thoughts from any experienced Miata drivers out there. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Welcome!:icon_cheers:

Why the interest in said wheel/tire setup?:smile1: Why not a square(same size front/back) setup? 15s will give you the best tire selection and keep weights lower.

Say a 15x8 with 225/45/15 at all four corners. Will look good with a nice lowering and perform well depending on exact wheels/tires and keep fitment issues to a minimum(offset dependent). As an example with said combo:

15×8 +25mm Konig Flatout's w/ Toyo R1R 225/45/15s. A similar setup would require a fender roll depending on height/camber on a NA but shouldn't even need a fender roll on a NB with some negative camber.

Any particular wheel style you looking for?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^Yeah that's the drawback. I was thinking lotus Elise wheel setup. I'm in market for Enkei Rpf1 15x8 or 15x9. some some BBS set. What exhaust you got there?

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I guess my point is a square setup on a miata performs better in most scenarios. Staggered wheels/tires work well on a mid/rear engine car or high horsepower front engine/rwd cars. If performance isn't your main goal then go for it, plenty of miatas running staggered setups. :)

Enkei RPF1's are a classy choice.:haiguyths:

14x7s and while I love them, the additional grip with more wheel and tire makes me wish I had gone wider. Here is a thread on 15x8 Enkei RPF1's:
https://www.clubroadster.net/vb_forum/32-brakes-wheels-tires/174962-official-15x8-enkei-rpf1-picture-thread.html

No 15x9 RPF1s in 4x100 at least.:cry2: Wish there was, I probably would have gone that route instead of the 14s.

It is a custom exhaust from Abe aka ARTech, no longer have the NA but that exhaust is still on it. More details/pics of the exhaust here in post #466 and #470.
https://www.clubroadster.net/vb_forum/89-roadster-projects/133538-1997-m-warbird-edition-16.html

The best sounding exhaust on a n/a inline four cylinder I have ever heard, very deep and only a little louder than stock which is what I wanted as I was planning on supercharging. The standard size muffler he uses would be perfect for a n/a setup or someone wanting it louder/more aggressive.

·
Supporting Member
743 Posts
Others above me have given great advice that I echo. The RPF-1 wheel is a really great choice, as are 949 Racing 6UL's. The name escapes me right now, but there's a Konig wheel that's pretty good & light. IIRC Goodwin Racing carries it, something like Hyperlight? I would recommend a square 15x8 set up with an offset in the +30 to +20 range. If you aren't already aware, the lower the offest number, the more the wheel will protrude away from the car; the higher the number the closer it will be.

With that being said, get a wheel that you like & can afford. There's actually a decent selection of 4x100 wheels out there, but with a Miata try to find a lighter wheel. Weight matters on these cars.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Others above me have given great advice that I echo. The RPF-1 wheel is a really great choice, as are 949 Racing 6UL's. The name escapes me right now, but there's a Konig wheel that's pretty good & light. IIRC Goodwin Racing carries it, something like Hyperlight? I would recommend a square 15x8 set up with an offset in the +30 to +20 range. If you aren't already aware, the lower the offest number, the more the wheel will protrude away from the car; the higher the number the closer it will be.

With that being said, get a wheel that you like & can afford. There's actually a decent selection of 4x100 wheels out there, but with a Miata try to find a lighter wheel. Weight matters on these cars.
I agree with this. I would add to stick to a 205/50 tire on an 8 inch wide wheel. The 225/45s look great and perform amazing but are a bit overkill for someone who isn't going for track or auto-x. Not to mention they're expensive and you wont be able to find one with a tread-wear rating over 200.

I would stick with a Dunlop DZ102 or Continential S-drive. Great performance, cheap(er), and will last much longer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is for greesemonkey

What about that rear diffuser!

I converted an n/a to electric power and need every aero advantage I can find.

Did your mpg increase with that mod?

I think I need to start new topic

1 - 10 of 10 Posts