ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or do you take it out everytime you leave the car.

Reason I ask is because I just got one of those neato FM transmiters for my Ipod. works pretty good, Ive got it set up in my center console. I was mostly wondering if I left it (the Ipod) in the center console do you think heat would kill it? I dont know what kind of temps an Ipod can take so Im just wondering. Im not really conserned with theft, just heat.

EDIT: If it matters, I have an ipod nano.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I leave mine in my Element, and mizzphinz leaves hers in the Element. Don't know if the heat would bother it or not, though.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Yeah, I don't fear the heat (except in summer where it might temporarily discolor the LCD), but I definately fear the tweakers down the road.

Leave it in my car? Hell no!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...but I definately fear the tweakers down the road.

Tweakers?

And yeah, after thinking about it, Ive left my cellphone in the center console in the middle of july, no effect. And Ive had my radio in my car since shortly after I bought the car (Almost 2 yrs now) with no ill effects.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Wow. Amazing I thought everyone knew what a tweaker was. SW Washington and NW Oregon have the highest concentration of them nation-wide though, so I guess it is a regional term after all.

tweaker = meth-head= crystal methamphetamine addict. The highest local concentration of car breakins seem to be from tweakers breaking into cars to fence the stuff they steal so they can buy more meth.

http://www.drugfree.org/Portal/DrugIssue/MethResources/faces/index.html for a freaky look at tweakers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Must be a regional term, The region Im in they are constantly having on the news about meth labs being shut down.

Never heard the term tweaker, makes sense though.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I toss it in the center console and lock the car (hardtop <3). Before I had the hardtop everything got removed or put in the trunk, and I parked top and windows down.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Heat will eventually destroy the battery... thats the only draw back i can think of. Anything hotter than around 90 to 95F is the worst thing you could do to your IP batteries.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I leave Mine in, but It's hidden away anyway and accessed through my Headunit. generally park it in well populated areas and bput it in the garage overnight

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
I might be first to say this, but FM transmitters FTL. Of course, I can say this because I have the factory tape deck in the car...but if you do as well, I'd recommend returning the FM transmitter and buying a tape-adapter instead. The sound is a lot more crisp, you don't get any static, and it's a lot less of a pain in the ass.

It sounds just fine - it's not tape quality, it's just using the tape as an adapter. Not only that, but FM transmitters are WAY more expensive (which makes no sense, their quality sucks balls) than tape-adapters. You can buy a one for $5-$10 at Wal*Mart instead of $50 for a transmitter.

Just my $.02!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know that the FM transmitters dont work too good. But It works just fine for me, I dont need perfect music. Mine seems to work pretty well, until I move the thing, but since the transmitter has velcro holding it and the Ipod is in a rubber case it doesnt move unless I move it. And yeah, If I had a tape deck I would have bought one of those tape deck adapters. eventually they will invent something new and Ill try to get into it early and set it up so it works the best way (if that makes any sense).

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have my old mini hooked up to a monster FM charger and then connected to a tape adapter. I leave it in my car since the only ill effects I've had are discolored LCDs. I don't care about battery life if the heat hurts it, because that pod never leaves the car.

I don't car if it gets stolen, either, because I've had it for like 2 and a half years or something, and I have 2 other iPods. one I use for a portable HDD (its battery crapped out on me. fun. :evil: ), and the other is the one I use for not paying attention in class.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
They do have something better. Headunits with built in ipod contols. I have had both generations of alpine ipod integrationa nd the second gen stuff works really well.

·
Registered
264 Posts
yea mine stays in my car all the time. the only problem ive had was when it was really cold it didnt play till i warmed it up, but ive never had a problem with heat

1 - 20 of 23 Posts