ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
228 Posts
You may want to thank the crooked importers for the law change.

·
CR.net Supporter
228 Posts
From my contacts at Canada Customs.

·
CR.net Supporter
228 Posts
Abuse of the system.

Fraudulent repairs.

Phony paperwork.

Mis - respiration.

Most of this is from B.C. where most of the cars end up.

Check this threads on Revscene

http://www.revscene.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=452535

http://www.revscene.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=452535

It is unfortunate that it has come to this but parts of the importation industry has ruined it for the honest collector / enthusiast.

I am an enthusiast but I have to support the government on this.

On a personal note

You will notice that I am from B.C. and have to put up with these kids in the Skylines.

The ?Jerk Kids? that gave Civic a bad name know drive Skylines.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
little.one.der, yeah, that is a great site. It helped me answer alot of the questions I had when I was first investigating importing a car.

gwilo, you have failed to convince me. (Those links don't work if the had more statistics/studies). But, from what I gather, TC's arguement is weak at best.. Too many shops are allowing vehicles to pass the OOP. Why doesn't TC try to fix the source of the problem? If too many people start to speed, driving should not be outlawed, just better enforced. This is an extreme examples, but should help with the point. Has it "come to this"? Have they tried other options?

·
CR.net Supporter
228 Posts
I am awaiting a call from an old friend to find out more. He works for TC and we did some work together in the early 80's on car imports. He will let me know where the rule changes are coming from.

My contact is a 'car guy' not a Bureaucrat.

·
CR.net Supporter
228 Posts
I have spoken with an old friend that works for TC about the rule changes to the importation of collectable cars to Canada. The jest of the conversation is below.

The original fifteen-year-old car rule was brought in to allow Canadians to import collectable cars of interest into Canada. This was to allow the individual collector / enthusiast to import cars to be added to collection or for occasional use. The spirit of the law worked for years and the letter of the law was maintained, but not always kept but work around kept it above board. It was felt that the importation of these cars improved the life of all Canadians as they where given access to these ?collectable cars? whether at museums, car shows or the weekend sunny day at the park.

The key words above are individual and collectable.

The current situation has changed.

Importers are bringing large amount of cars for the sole purpose of resale for profit. The spirit of the law is not met. The letter of the law on compliance has been so far stretched it is time for corrections.

The purposed changes are from grass root of Transport Canada not the bureaucrats. The inspectors at TC are having more and more problems everyday with the ?Importers for Profit? of these cars. There is a large group of them that have taken advantage of the law as well as trying to break the law at every turn. They feel they are being made fools of.

Bribes have been offered to several government inspectors and they know that bribes have been paid to private inspectors to allow cars to pass.

The current crop of cars, Skylines and 180?s, are not being brought is as ?Collectables? but ?Daily Drivers?.

This is the story I was told to put it all in context.

You work hard all day (ok government job hard) and have to put up with dis-reputable importers trying to take advantage of you and the law for a car that will end up on a used car lot, sold by a dishonest used car salesman.

After that frustrating day you are driving home from work and some young punk street-races cuts you off in his RHD Skyline / 180. A little bit down the road you are at a traffic light and that ?bad ass punk kid? gives you the stare down, like I am King **** in my JDM Skyline and you are F? all. Leaving the light the kid speeds off well above the limit.

When you get home your wife tells you about her day and how she was almost run over in the shopping center parking lot by a kid in a RHD car.

The law that was meant to allow the importation of Austin Healy sports cars has now been turned into a way for the boy racer to bring in his JDM racer.

The problem is mainly in B.C. and Ontario but all of Canada will suffer.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is the exact reason why the rules should not be changed. Because 16 year olds are making people feel foolish. When you were 16 in (umm, 47-2007+16) 1976, did you or either of your friends perhaps have a fast used chevelle, maybe a GTO? When I was 16, it was the fox body mustang.. 16 year old kids have fast cars. They drive fast cars fast. That is what they do. Changing the rules so that they can't import Japanese cars isn't going to change that.
As with speed, 16 year olds also push the limits, hence the bribing attempts. Isn't bribing a government official against the law? Catch them. Put up a camera and catch them.
When I brought over my JDM 4runner, I did it because it was in amazing condition. With less then 100km, no rust, and being loaded, this 4runner cost me almost the same as the Canadian version with 300km. It was also pretty fricken cool.
Now why, gwilo, should I accept that this rule is being changed because some of the grassroots are feeling "foolish"? Why should I accept that this rule was only meant for collectors, when it is allowing for quality cars to be purchase at a fraction of the domestic price?
I am ticked off at TC. Not because the rule is changing. I accept that; rules change. I am ticked off because this rule is changing due to the people standing at the border, feeling foolish, as opposed to studies coming out stating that RHD is unsafe.
This change will not hurt the 16 year old driving around in their skyline. They will get an Integra, or a prelude and drive around in that. This change is hurting the guy who imports a 4runner because he wants a quality, cheap vehicle.

·
CR.net Supporter
228 Posts
I agree with you.

I would like to bring in a S'cargo or similar small van used in Asia or Europe.

The rules do need some updating as all laws do.

I think the 25 year rule is not the way to do it but more enforcement.

But like my friend at TC explained it with the kids. I have to agree some what with him. Get those dam kids out of the Skyline's.

He said we now are getting the R-32 wait until the R-34's are fifteen years old.

I live outside of Vancouver I do get fed up of those Skylines. At least once a week I come across at least one 'boy-racer'. ( My revenge is my Miata will have 230 whp by spring :) )

I believe the only hope for improvements to the law is that the true collector contact his MP to show his concern about unfair changes.

But what will happen is that ever 'boy-racer' will contact his MP and we will end up with a 50 year rule.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This whole ruling has gone too far. If the entire basis of TC's arguement is "Those pesky kids are causing a ruckus again", then we are worse off then I thought. Believe it or not, there are pesky kids outside of BC. And I am pretty sure that not all of them drive Skylines.
I went fast when I was 16, and I didn't need a Japanese Domestic Market car to do it. Please don't be offended when I say that the excuse you just gave is a joke. As is this entire issue. And yet, here we are. TC is making a new rule that will quash a flurishing business model, based upon people who don't understand the situation (IMO), and the average schmuck is getting f'd over.

·
CR.net Supporter
228 Posts
"flurishing business model"

Which TC believes is based on Lies and Deceit.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And unfortunately, for all of us, that belief is incorrect. Prove it, and they will win me over. But just believe it, and make a law based about that belief... Well that leaves me sad and feeling very used.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Any updates on this? ANy swaying of opinions thus far? I already have my JDM miata but it would be nice to be able to get more JDM goodness in the future :|

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like Transport Canada has finally realized that it doesn't have a case. I saw this forum thread today at lunch:

http://www.ivoac.ca/pn/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=420&postdays=0&postorder=asc&sid=a09837f493474e524514545b4c9fd8de

To quote the post "The 15 year rule: It appears that Transport Canada, due to direct pressure from IVOAC, has pushed their timeline back on this issue. Transport Canada will now conduct their own hearings before putting forward any proposed change. After these hearings, the proposed changes will be drafted and put in the Gazette "later this year". Knowing the speed of government, it would seem that this effectively should put off any rule change until 2008. While this may seem like a victory, rest assured, they are only buying themselves time to build a case against us (they don't currently have one). This means all of us need to work twice as hard building support in the general public and more importantly the political arenas. "

This is great news. Hopefully the guys over at IVOAC can stop (or at least continue to postpone) this absurd change from coming into effect.

·
CR.net Supporter
676 Posts
Yeah, no kidding. My friend has a Hilux and and s13, and from what I think, he's going to sell both for a Supra when they are eligible.

·
Sponsor
1,391 Posts
i'm going to have to go ahead and blame the big 3 domestic manufacturers for going to congress and bitching that imported cars are cutting into thier sales even though neither of those manufacturers have any cars in the market segments that are being imported. or at least nothing interesting in those market segments lol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts