ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking around for coilovers for about a month or so and the vendor Hard park aka slonb recommended them to me over stance coils. So I started looking around for reviews for the miata. I didn't find much however every other review I have found (subaru, nissan, mitsubish, etc.) seemed to have nothing but good things to say about the coil system. I looked on there website and they seem to be decent for there price. I did not find the miata on the application page but slonb said he did have them on his miata. Just trying to get some input on these as they seem like a great system for such a decent price tag.
http://www.fortune-auto.net/fortune500seriescoilovers.htm
Parker

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They seem to be a quality product. And compared to other coils in the same range, they are equal or better but I am no professional.

·
Functionally formed.
1,752 Posts
They seem to be a quality product. And compared to other coils in the same range, they are equal or better but I am no professional.
I'm not either, just making sure people are aware of the price. $1,100 + shipping can add up, so just be sure you know what other products are in that price range. Just seems like a lot of money for a brand I haven't heard of, but you could be right.

·
Registered
104 Posts
These popped up quite some time ago if I remember correctly. I don't know anyone riding on them though. They say they're dyno-tuned, I wonder if they'll provide graphs if you ask them.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
These popped up quite some time ago if I remember correctly. I don't know anyone riding on them though. They say they're dyno-tuned, I wonder if they'll provide graphs if you ask them.
Worst they can do is say no. I say ask for a graph if they can offer it.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
http://www.fortune-auto.net/FWThumbnails/Fortune Auto Shock Dyno.jpg

Heres a dyno taken right off the home page. C'mon guys anyone even bother too look?

They look way too much like all the other taiwanese coilovers IMO. Those dynos look like the dgr dyno. The coil bottoms look similar, and same with the pillowball tophats. They even offer a swift spring upgrade just like DGR.

I like they are rebuildable and revalvable. They look like a decent product. If I had to take a guess these are the same taiwanese coils as DGR, corner8, megan, etc, but they seem to have a company that stands behind their products and has sponsored a few teams. They also put together a decent site that appears to have someone behind it that might actuallly know their stuff. These also look to have slight improvements over the generic tawainese coilovers. Maybe someone smartened up and has them build the coils to their specs from the same factory for a higher cost? I really like the fact all the options are user selectable, and they have pre-spec'd setups for different types of driving if you don't know what to order.

These sell for 1199 on rspeed. The mere fact rspeed is selling these coilovers is a good sign these coilovers are a good buy. From what I have seen rspeed only caries quality, and quality for a good price. Rspeed knows their ****.

http://www.rspeed.net/Rspeed_Fortune_Auto_Coil_Over_Miata_MX_5_p/nab-34500.htm

I think these are the exact same as DGR. Get what you find cheaper haha.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am really just looking for a legit coil for around one thousand dollars and that doesn't limit my ride height or drivability.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I see two problems, at least. First, the front to rear spring ratios result in a less than 50% front roll couple. It's not horrendous, but it's also not balanced, and the rear is going to want to come around more than you probably want it to, most of the time.

Next, the low speed damping is quite weak, which while comfortable, isn't want you want for quick transitions. Kind of like a Buick Roadmaster.

Lastly, given the two problems I've just mentioned, the price is way too high. Perhaps this is why it seems nobody is riding on them. You'd be much better off with VMaxx's or something along those lines.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I didn't say DGR was a bad product either. Its just there are like 10 companies selling the same ****. I'd get what ever is cheaper. I don't think you would be doing wrong by getting any of them.

Megan, corner8, DPS, ksport, D2, HPS, KIDO, MDU, BC, 88rotors are all pretty much the same. They might have different valving, and a lot of them have different spring rates. Choose as you wish.

Just buy the ones with the spring rates you'd like, in the color you like, and for the price you like.

megan ez streets being the cheapest(650)- DGR track 2 being the most expensive(1450)

If you'd like proof you can buy some of these coils from their manufacturer on alibaba and start calling them your own. I'm sure you could hit the factory up and specify a color, spring rate, and dampner strength.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I know rspeed has been working with fortune for a while to get a product that meets their standards. A few years ago these were announced by rspeed but they were unhappy with the original product so they sent them back. I think oldgrayfrog has talked to rspeed about them a good bit, maybe send him a message.

Lagunaroadster has a set but idk if his car is back on the road yet. At the very least he said they can go quite low.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I would be interested to see the difference, if any, between the rspeed coils and the regular fortune auto ones. Or if either of them are any better than the Megans that GoMiata sells for much less. Note to self, learn to read a shock dyno graph.

·
Hide yo kids hide yo wife
6,286 Posts
I didn't say DGR was a bad product either. Its just there are like 10 companies selling the same ****. I'd get what ever is cheaper. I don't think you would be doing wrong by getting any of them.
DGR's definitely aren't bad. Especially when you factor in lifetime warranty and that DGR actually dyno'd the miata specific shocks. (I've yet to see k sport, megan, etc. do that.) The owner also owns a miata.. so I'm sure he's working on ways to improve it. ;)

So far, he's offering FCM bumpstops and swift springs as options to make the coilovers better.

I've been on mine for nearly 6k, and have beat on them nearly every day. They've handled the abuse like a champ.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Smells like ****, looks like ****... Prolly is ****.

If your going to spend $1k or so, why not go with a reputable company? I don't see the point of second guessing what's better when they all look the same. Be realistic, same looking Coilovers but in different colors. It's the same ****, buy the cheapest and most reputuable. Then take the rest of it and throw it into sways and bushings.

Or better yet, spend a little more and buy Coilovers like Tien Flex or w/e people gloat about on here. But really, 90% on here just need them to be lowered and comfort.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Fortune is local here and they are really nice stuff. I've been in an s13 and s14 with the coils. They don't have any for the miata anymore. They released a few set to test them and decided to stop production. I don't know if that have any in the works or not. They also offer any spring rate you want so that not a problem. And i can say just from talking to them a few times they are extremely good with getting back to you and helping out.

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
fortune actually offers shock dynos on zilvia.net if you guys care to look.
and they also offer swift springs.
but thats for 240s.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Personally I'd rather wait another month and buy the XIDA CS's from 949...
I dont think people considering these coilovers would want to spend almost 2k on the XIDA's.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Had these on my Lexus Is300 when I had it. I HATED THESE COILOVERS! They blew in less than a year and made a lot of clunking and sqeaking noises. I dunno if I had a bad batch, but I wasn't really a happy customer!

1 - 20 of 185 Posts