ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we only have a handful of members from or in Japan at the moment, but I found this interesting none the less and figured I would pass along the info.

Microsoft Japan will have Forza Motorsport 2 and Test Drive Unlimited on display in 8 different stores throughout Japan for the next three weekends, starting coming Sunday. The "Touch and Try" tour will be used to promote those two soon to be released games(TDU April 26; FM2 May 24) in Japan, were everybody will be able to playtest those two games.
Forza 2 will be on display with the now famous 3-screen setup, 5.1 surround sound, racing seat and the Wireless Racing Wheel.

Here the dates:
April 15 - 12:00~17:00: シータショップ溝の口店 (神奈川) Note: Forza 2 only

April 21 - 12:00~18:00: Messe Sanoh/ メッセサンオー本店 (東京)
____________________.WonderGOO Tsukuba store/ WonderGOO つくば店 (茨城)
____________________.Yodobashi-Akiba/ ヨドバシカメラ マルチメディアAkiba (東京)

April 22 - 12:00~18:00: Best Denki - LIMB Funabashi store/ ベスト電器 LIMBららぽーと船橋店 (千葉)

April 28 - 12:00~18:00: Sakuraya - Shinjuku East Hobby/ さくらや 新宿東口ホビー館 (東京)

April 29 - 12:00~18:00: 宝島王国二の宮ビッグサイト (福井)
____________________.Sofmap - GIGA STORE Kobe/ ソフマップ GIGA STORE 神戸店 (兵庫)

Suzuka Circuit: Approaching the Anti-Banked Curve

Suzuka Circuit: At the Hairpin

Nordschleife: Nürburgring scenery; you can actually hear the birds when you stop

FM2 Multi-Screen Setup:

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, Id love to have the extra cash for 3 360's, 3 copies of FM2, 3 monitors, the wheel....

I think the reason theyre trying to promote so heavily in Japan right now is the possibilty of converting Sony/Playstation fans to Xbox fans. GT5 isnt coming out anytime soon, FM2 is out in a little over a month.

The original Xbox didnt do very well in Japan, and I dont think the 360 is necessarily a big hit at this point either. It wasnt so much brand loyalty as it was the Xbox in general just didnt offer many games that people liked in Japan. Perhaps this will build the fanbase a little more.

·
Registered
514 Posts
that setup takes 3- 360's??? WoW!! About the brand loyalty.. i think Sony lost alot of that with the PS3. The hot ticket in japan currently is the Wii. I think the 360 is positioned well in light of Sonys flop with their next gen.

I'm stoked on getting a 360 but i will prlly feel guilty when i finally decide to buy one bc i coulda used that money on mods for the car.

-Jeremy

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, a demo has been announced for April, no actual date announced yet.

Game releases in May, again, no actual date announced.

Its safe to assume it will be on or before the May 24th release date in Japan.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
What?! Three screen!? They're missing one!

*grumble* Our setup here in the team space has a 4th as a rearview mirror. It's so choice. If you have the means, I highly reccomend it. :p It's one of those little RV rearview camera mirrors.

...And an official LOL at going to "WonderGOO" to play it. :p

My boss is already getting set up for his 3-screen at home. he just bought 3 40" LCDs for it. Jealousy is me.

·
2,708 Posts
I saw an ad in one of my computer magazines for a device that allows you to plug in additional monitors from a single source. It works with driving games but was intended for the UBER geeks that play Microsoft Flight Simulator. The question is if the game or X360 software allows the image to be split in 3 without additional consoles and games.

Anybody have any actual in-game trailers/demos? The main thing that annoyed me about the first Forza was the sense of speed, it was either too fast or two slow, hard to describe, but it didn't feel "right", and also the cars looked like it was "floating". Oh, and the handling sucked and the game didn't look good in split-screen mode,lol. I hope F2 is miles ahead.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
actual HD gameplay footage is supposed to be released this week I think.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
According to the latest "Pitpass Report" at forzamotorsport.net, they are still putting the finishing touches on the final game and the demo, both of which will be given to Microsoft for certification. The demo must be certified before its released so I think we are looking at least another week or two before we see that.

However, 2 HD videos are supposed to be released today by an unnamed gaming site, like IGN or something. Ill add that info as they are released...

Anyways, to touch back on the original topic, here is some video footage and screenshots of whats going on in Japan.

Here are two videos from the first Touch&Try event that took place yesterday in Japan.
[update]some images from the event added at the bottom of this post

Very special thanks to achama for capturing and providing those vids on his website.

Besides the links to the source videos(below) I also zipped those two videos into one zipfile and uploaded it to FileFront and Megaupload for easier downloading. Click the following link to reach the download location:
http://files.filefront.com/FM2_TT_Videoszip/;7253659;/fileinfo.html
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CRZQHC1F

The videos are in mp4 format, QuickTime is recommended!

Video #1: GT racing action at Mugello Circuit
http://achama.cocolog-nifty.com/video/2007/04/forza_motorspor_5ca5.html

Video #2: Racing around Suzuka Circuit
http://achama.cocolog-nifty.com/video/2007/04/forza_motorspor_83a5.html

As a bonus here is a third short video showing some LMP1 action at Suzuka Circuit:
http://media.putfile.com/Forza-2---Prototypes-at-Suzuka-Circuit

[Update] Images from the event (click for full resolution)

source: forzacentral.com

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
*grumble*

making me wait...

:lol:

I haven't had a chance to try out the 360 wheel, is it any good? I'm spoiled on my DFP for GT4, LFS, and GTR2 :p

I want the new G25 sooooo badly. One of my buddies is a racing sim freak and has one. Absolutely amazing for an out of box sim package. Only thing he doesn't like are the pedals, but he's already hacked his personal set into it :lol:

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Forza Motorsport 2 "Touch and Try" tour in Japan

well if you really love your DFP, you may be disappointed with the 360 wheel.

In general those that have used both usually complain that the build quality isn't quite as good on the MS wheel, only 270* of rotation, and only paddle shifters (no shift lever like the DFP). And those that use the G25 generally call the MS wheel total garbage. Although I think some of that is the frustration that MS decided to take the proprietary approach....both the DFP and G25 are not supported on the 360.

I agree it is a bit frustrating, considering you can get the DFP for much less than the MS wheel, and the few times Ive played one it definately felt nice.

Regardless I got the MS wheel. Its my first force feedback wheel and I like it. The force feedback and rumble is very good, 1 motor is used for each. The GT4 wheel uses 1 motor for both. I dont mind the paddles, if its only going to be sequential shifting then it doesn't matter to me. 2 hands on the wheel is never a bad thing. Dont get me wrong I would love to have the little shifter too but it is what it is, the only FFB wheel thats 360 compatible. Pedals feel good but the brake is a bit on the soft side, I have heard of people stiffening it up using a piece of foam.

Only thing is at the moment 3 games support true force feedback, and of the 3 only PGR3 is worth playing with the wheel IMO. But dont worry, Colin Mcrae:DIRT isnt too far behind FM2....

I do also have the wireless PC adapter, and have played LFS with the wheel. Still waiting for an update for the PC that supports force feedback though.....

·
Registered
1,688 Posts

Caldera, you done with that game yet? Get yer ass in gear, man! C'mon, these people are waiting here! :lol:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
*sigh* I kill you now. I kill you until you die from it. lol deathmarch

It's close guys, real close... but we're still pushing on it right down to the wire. We're working non-stop, no days off to make it kick as much ass as we can... that's not the party line, either. There's a lot of very tired people here who keep pushing to make it better.

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts

As I thought :?

I'm not so concerned with the rotation, 700* is plenty for stuff like this. I was more interested in the force feedback and pedal setup. I think a wired version would greatly benefit the driving games out (and soon to be out). But since when has MS listened to little old consumer?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Here's a longer vid from the TnT I found on Youtube today. Shows off Suzuka, a track i'm currently having problems mastering. The uphill hairpin kicks my ass in most cars (I seem to only be able to do it right in my Gallardo, every other car gets unsettled braking in that kink) as does that rhythmic set of sweepers at the beginning of the lap.

Wish the vid quality were better, wish I could share stuff w/o gettin' fired. :-/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xJH0ggeN4U

1 - 20 of 139 Posts