ClubRoadster.net banner

Four hours, 3 friends, 4 co-workers and $100 dollars later....

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  phinz 
... and I have a new spare key. :oops:

All of this happened on Tuesday. And here is the story.

I have dinner plans with two old high school friends of mine. One of whom I'm very close to (Jen) and one of whom I have not seen in 10 years (Wilson). So I leave work a little earlier than normal (6:15pm) to pick up Jen before heading to the Block at Orange for dinner with Wilson. Should be a good time remininscing old times and fond memories. I'm looking forward to it.

I pack up my laptop and go downstairs to my car. I want to drop the top and put on my boot cover (the car looks so slick with it on) so I drop the top, open the trunk and take out the cover. I notice I had forgotten that I left my tool box in the trunk. So I move it over to fit my laptop next to it and shut the trunk.

Go around the side of the car. Hands in pocket to get key. It's gone.

Panic. Trunk release was disabled. Spare key is in San Francisco (I'm in Irvine - a 7 hr drive away). Wait. Maybe the key is just in the trunk keyhole. Turn and look. Nope. Out of luck. My apartment keys, car keys and laptop are all in there. My entire life, basically.

To make a really long story short(er), I used another friend's AAA card, took her, her boyfriend and jen to dinner for their trouble, and AAA shows up an hour later. Take a 2 hrs to make the spare key because my windows are down so popping out the door lock is difficult. They need the door lock for the key number or something. But finally, thank God, AAA makes the key. Sigh of relief.

During all that, my co-workers are filtering out of work and see all my drama in action. Quite embarrassing.

Jen now keeps my spare. One day, I'll walk out of my apartment and see her Corolla in place of my Miata. Ha!

Moral of the story: Keep a spare if you don't have trunk access. #-o
Having locked my keys in my car when I was younger, I keep a flat, spare key in my wallet. Total cost? $1 at Ace Hardware. I also keep a spare house key in there, as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.