ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Supporting Member #5522
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, my computer in my garage died two years ago. im looking to replace it, i have a few old vista computers that im thinking about putting together. i don't want to spend any money on it. as it will be just be used in the garage for when i need to look something up. i probably have a few more xp pro product keys left, but im thinking about chaining it up. i have herd very good things about linux and was wanting you alls thoughts. i will mainly use it for the internet maybe some music.

what other free operating systems should i look into?

·
Supporting Member
1,146 Posts
Well, they're all kind of free depending on how you define the term. ;)

Like you alluded to however, a Linux distro would be fun to play around with. There's probably lots of driver support for a recent computer as well.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
I am a bit of a linux freak...

I used to use Ubuntu on decent systems and Xubuntu on tired ones, but as of late Ubuntu has become bloated and the UI is clunky, so I run Xubuntu on everything. It is simply ubuntu with the XFCE interface, which is lightweight, clean and very very customizable.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
lol do you just sit around and wait for every opportunity to bring someone down to your level?

i didnt even brag about it, and i wasnt talking to you. be a big boy and get over it. :)

·
Premium Member
6,346 Posts
Seeing as the OP is very obviously looking for free operating systems, why else would you or anyone else post that? I wasn't referring to you specifically either.

Content:

I used Ubuntu Netbook Remix for a short while before I sold my netbook a while back. Everything worked, but I never bothered to try and use anything besides what came installed on the build. I imagine the desktop version is just as good, installation was pretty simple. If you can build a bootable usb stick or burn a dvd, you should be fine.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Make this another vote for Ubuntu - I tend to use other Unix varieties for work/career-related stuff but if I need a free OS with a decent support community, especially on an older machine, I just throw the latest Ubuntu on there.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
I've been windows-free for 3 years now. Ubuntu is the one I use most, but Linux Mint is also quite nice. I run Debian at work.

·
Banned
607 Posts
I'd stay away from linux unless you're an uber nerd. Although unbuntu is fairly user friendly, as long as you don't like installing apps, and can use what's preinstalled.

Best way to get a free, LEGITIMATE copy of windows, that can update and everything. Join a good [email protected] team, preferably a large one. Actually start folding, and have some decent stats. Then request copies in their forums, you'll usually get offers for free legit, or extremely low priced copies.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
^ hahaha I'll do you one better, I get them free and legal straight from Microsoft.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts